Veteran Lehman makes strong start, Rose leads as PGA Tour resumes

By Sports Desk June 11, 2020

Tom Lehman was a surprise presence towards the top of the Charles Schwab Challenge leaderboard when the PGA Tour season resumed on Thursday.

There were no spectators at Colonial Country Club in Fort Worth, Texas as some of the world's best players looked to make up for three inactive months after the season was suspended due to the coronavirus pandemic.

A strong field had to abide by social distancing measures on their return to competitive action, but Justin Rose was certainly not restricted as he set the pace with a seven-under 63.

Jhonattan Vegas and Abraham Ancer were just a shot adrift of early leader Rose, while Lehman also looked anything but rusty, starting with a 65 in a tournament he won back in 1995.

There was just one bogey in an eye-catching opening round from the 1996 Open champion, who became the oldest player to shoot 65 or better on the PGA Tour in the last 40 years at the age of 61.

Lehman said: "Do I feel like I'm capable of shooting a 65 out here at Colonial? Well, for certain I do. Did I expect to do it today? Well, I would be probably lying if I said I fully expected to play and shoot such a low score. But I did expect to play well."

There was a poignant moment when those on and off the course stopped to observe a moment of silence and reflection at 8.46am for George Floyd, who died last month while in police custody in Minneapolis.

Rory McIlroy was among those to go out later in the day and the world number one was two under through 13 holes.

Related items

  • Scott out of Zozo Championship after positive COVID-19 test Scott out of Zozo Championship after positive COVID-19 test

    Former world number one Adam Scott will miss the Zozo Championship this week after testing positive for coronavirus.

    It was announced on the eve of the tournament at the Sherwood Country Club in Thousand Oaks, California, that Scott has returned a positive COVID-19 test.

    The 2013 Masters champion is self-isolating and will be replaced in the field for the PGA Tour event by Jim Herman.

    "While it’s difficult news to receive – as I really looked forward to playing this week – my focus now is on recovery for the final stretch of the fall," Scott said

    The Australian has won 14 PGA Tour titles, most recently at the Genesis Invitational in February.

  • This is not politics, this is humanity – Rashford calls on UK government to help combat child food poverty This is not politics, this is humanity – Rashford calls on UK government to help combat child food poverty

    Marcus Rashford has urged the British government to work alongside organisations combatting child food poverty in the United Kingdom, after a petition to provide free school meals during school holidays was voted down.

    In June, the Manchester United and England star successfully lobbied the government to extend its policy of providing free school meals for underprivileged children outside term time, with the financial impact of COVID-19 also a major concern.

    With areas of the United Kingdom going into localised lockdowns, Rashford – who was awarded an MBE in the Queen's Birthday Honours – last week launched an online petition calling on the UK government to carry on providing free school meals through to Easter 2021.

    However, the motion was voted down in parliament on Wednesday.

    Following the news, Rashford vowed to continue to lead the campaign, while also calling on the government to reconsider their position.

    "Put aside all the noise, the digs, the party politics and let's focus on the reality. A significant number of children are going to bed tonight not only hungry but feeling like they do not matter because of comments that have been made today," the 22-year-old wrote in a post on his official Twitter account.

    "We must stop stigmatising, judging and pointing fingers. Our views are being clouded by political affiliation. This is not politics, this is humanity.

    "We talk about the devastating impact of COVID-19 but, if projections are anything to go by, child food poverty has the potential to become the greatest pandemic the country has ever faced.

    "We must start working together and unite to protect our most vulnerable children. No more sticking plasters.

    "Following private and public approaches, I once again invite Number 10 to sit around the table with the Taskforce so that, together, we can collaborate on how best to combat child food poverty in the UK.

    "These children are the future of this country. They are not just another statistic. And for as long as they don't have a voice, they will have mine."

  • Catalans-Hull FC clash called off due to positive coronavirus tests Catalans-Hull FC clash called off due to positive coronavirus tests

    The Super League clash between Catalans Dragons and Hull FC has been cancelled after five players and two members of the French club's backroom staff tested positive for coronavirus.

    There will be a shutdown of up to five days at Catalans in order for further antigen testing to be staged.

    The positive tests cases were confirmed on Wednesday following testing on Tuesday and a further round of checks will take place in the coming days.

    Those tests will determine whether the Dragons can return to training in time to play against Warrington Wolves next Monday.

    Catalans face a backlog of fixtures, as their games against Leeds Rhinos and Wigan Warriors were also postponed.

    Wigan have been able to resume training after seven positive COVID-19 tests were reported at the club last week.

    There were no positive cases in the latest round of testing of Warriors players and staff.

    Three players and non-player at Wakefield Trinity tested positive for the virus this week, but their match against Huddersfield Giants on Thursday will go ahead.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.