Steele takes lead at Honda Classic, Koepka & Fowler miss cut

By Sports Desk February 28, 2020

Brendan Steele moved to the top of the Honda Classic leaderboard as star pair Brooks Koepka and Rickie Fowler missed the cut.

Steele carded a three-under-par 67 to earn a one-stroke lead after the second round of the PGA Tour tournament in Palm Beach Gardens, Florida on Friday.

A three-time Tour champion but seeking his first title since 2017, Steele holed five birdies and two bogeys to move to five under through 36 holes at PGA National Golf Club.

J.T. Poston (69) and English pair Luke Donald (66) and Lee Westwood (69) are a stroke off the pace at the halfway stage of the event, while Gary Woodland (67), Nick Watney (66), Sepp Straka (67) and Cameron Davis (67) complete the top five.

Harris English and Tom Lewis were co-leaders following the opening round, but both players struggled on day two.

A second-round 74 saw English drop down into a share of 24th, while Lewis's five-over-par 75 saw him slip to one over for the tournament.

It was a forgettable round for former world number one Koepka and Fowler, who failed to make it to the weekend.

The cut line was three over and four-time major champion Koepka finished eight over following back-to-back 74s – Friday's round featuring two double-bogeys and a bogey.

"I struck it really well," said Koepka, who missed December's Presidents Cup due to a knee injury. "Really pleased with how I'm hitting it… Everything is good. No complaints. It has nothing to do with my knee.

"Just need to pick it up a little bit, pick up the pace, give it maybe a little bit more touch around the greens, a little bit more feel. But the way I'm striking it, I'm very pleased. I feel very happy with it."

Fellow American Fowler posted a 68 but he still missed the cut at four over, while Justin Rose (74) and defending champion Keith Mitchell (72) also failed to qualify for Saturday and Sunday.

Related items

  • Scott out of Zozo Championship after positive COVID-19 test Scott out of Zozo Championship after positive COVID-19 test

    Former world number one Adam Scott will miss the Zozo Championship this week after testing positive for coronavirus.

    It was announced on the eve of the tournament at the Sherwood Country Club in Thousand Oaks, California, that Scott has returned a positive COVID-19 test.

    The 2013 Masters champion is self-isolating and will be replaced in the field for the PGA Tour event by Jim Herman.

    "While it’s difficult news to receive – as I really looked forward to playing this week – my focus now is on recovery for the final stretch of the fall," Scott said

    The Australian has won 14 PGA Tour titles, most recently at the Genesis Invitational in February.

  • Dustin Johnson withdraws from Zozo Championship Dustin Johnson withdraws from Zozo Championship

    Dustin Johnson has withdrawn from the Zozo Championship, delaying his return after testing positive for coronavirus.

    Johnson withdrew from last week's The CJ Cup at Shadow Creek after contracting COVID-19.

    The world number one was due to return at Sherwood Country Club in California this week, but the American will miss the PGA Tour event.

    "Unfortunately, Dustin just made the decision to withdraw from Zozo," his agent David Winkle told pgatour.com.

    "While he is feeling much better, he is still a bit low on energy and feels it would be best to wait and resume his schedule in Houston."

    Johnson, who has two wins this year, was last in action as he finished tied for sixth at the U.S. Open last month.

    A 23-time winner on the PGA Tour, Johnson is scheduled to return at the Houston Open, which begins on November 5 – a week before the Masters.

  • Coronavirus: Tiger Woods-hosted Hero World Challenge cancelled Coronavirus: Tiger Woods-hosted Hero World Challenge cancelled

    Tiger Woods' Hero World Challenge has been cancelled as a result of travel restrictions related to the coronavirus pandemic.

    The event in the Bahamas, hosted by 15-time major winner Woods, was set to take place in December but it was called off on Monday.

    It means there will be no opportunity for Henrik Stenson to defend his title in Albany, where a star-studded field of 18 players had been scheduled to compete.

    "Given the current global restrictions and ongoing developments resulting from COVID-19, the 2020 Hero World Challenge will not be played this year," read a statement from tournament organisers.

    "This decision was made with the health and wellbeing of all tournament constituents and the Albany community in mind.

    "We look forward to hosting 18 of the top players in the world and welcoming tournament guests to Albany, Bahamas next year."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.