Harmeling grabs lead on second day

By PGAtour.com May 17, 2019
Evan Harmeling Evan Harmeling

Evan Harmeling has not had the low score in either the first round or the second round. What Harmeling does have is the low 36-hole score after consecutive 66s left him at 12-under, good for a one-shot lead over Guatemala’s José Toledo, Argentina’s Augusto Núñez and American Dawson Armstrong at the BMW Jamaica Classic. Five players are two strokes in back of Harmeling, who has never won a PGA TOUR Latinoamérica tournament.

In his opening-round 66, Harmeling had one hiccup during his day, a bogey at No. 13. Since then, he has played 23 consecutive holes with either a par or birdie. Harmeling did most of his damage on Cinnamon Hill Golf Club’s front nine Friday, with two par-4 birdies and back-to-back birdies on the par-5 fifth and sixth holes, the latter birdie a bit disappointing as his “good look” for eagle just missed. “It was a good little stretch there,” Harmeling said. He also had what he called a “nice par” on his closing hole to not give up a stroke. His other birdies during the round came at Nos. 10 and 18.

Harmeling has played 55 previous PGA TOUR Latinoamérica tournaments, his best finish coming in the final event of the 2018 season—the Shell Championship, a runner-up showing as he fell short of winner Harry Higgs. This season, Harmeling has struggled for consistency, with two missed cuts and a tie for 40th the best finish of his three made cuts.

Related items

  • Migliozzi leads in Muscat, Gagli well poised after coronavirus scare Migliozzi leads in Muscat, Gagli well poised after coronavirus scare

    Guido Migliozzi holds a one-shot lead after the first round of the Oman Open and Lorenzo Gagli is well poised despite a coronavirus scare on Thursday.

    Migliozzi has missed the cut in all three tournaments he has entered this year, but the Italian should be in Muscat for the weekend after starting with a six-under 66.

    The 23-year-old, a winner of two European Tour events in his rookie year on the Race to Dubai last season, made birdies at the 10th and 12th after starting on the back nine and reeled off three gains in a row following the turn.

    Migliozzi picked up another shot at his final hole of the day to complete a first bogey-free round since the Turkish Open in November.

    Brandon Stone, Dane Rasmus Hojgaard and Lee Taehee share second place, while English duo Andy Sullivan and Ross Fisher are among six players a further stroke back at Al Mouj Golf.

    Gagli was withdrawn from the tournament along with Edoardo Molinari amid fears they may have contracted the coronavirus, with the former having exhibited flu-like symptoms.

    The Italian duo, who had shared a hotel room, entered self-isolation but were reinstated in the tournament after a test showed Gagli did not have the virus.

    Gagli put that episode behind him to move to three under when play was suspended with one hole to finish on his opening round, while Molinari was two under through 17.

  • Gagli and Molinari reinstated in Oman Open after coronavirus concerns Gagli and Molinari reinstated in Oman Open after coronavirus concerns

    Lorenzo Gagli and Edoardo Molinari were reinstated in the Oman Open on Thursday after being quarantined amid fears they may have contracted the coronavirus.

    The European Tour revealed Gagli was assisted by the on-site medical team after exhibiting flu-like symptoms and was tested for the coronavirus before entering self-isolation in Muscat.

    Molinari, who had shared a hotel room with his fellow Italian Gagli, showed no signs of illness but also entered self-isolation as a precautionary measure.

    The Omani Ministry of Health revealed that Gagli's test results were negative and he was later cleared to tee off at 13.30pm local time at Al Mouj Golf along with Molinari, with the duo having been withdrawn on medical grounds earlier in the day.

    European Tour chief executive Keith Pelley said: "This is a difficult global situation, one during which we will continue to follow all guidance given to us on preventive measures, and all decisions will continue to be made in the interests of overall public health.

    "We will also continue to work closely with our own health experts and local authorities to ensure we have the latest medical and travel advice for all our tournaments, because the well-being of our players, staff and spectators remains the European Tour's absolute priority."

    Both players earlier expressed their frustration over the turn of events.

    Gagli told Italian newspaper La Nazione: "It's an inexplicable decision [to be withdrawn from the tournament].

    "Only us two have been excluded from the tournament, but I arrived in Muscat last Sunday and over the last few days I've worked out in the gym with dozens of other players. I ate with them and travelled by bus with them.

    "If there was a risk of contagion, then they would have to isolate dozens of golfers and cancel the tournament."

    Molinari tweeted: "For everyone asking, I am absolutely fine. No symptoms at all, no fever, no cold, nothing wrong at all...just very bored and annoyed. Hopefully this nightmare will be over soon!"

  • Reed produces fine finish to win WGC-Mexico Championship Reed produces fine finish to win WGC-Mexico Championship

    Patrick Reed secured the WGC-Mexico Championship with a one-stroke victory on Sunday.

    The American produced a fine finish at Club de Golf Chapultepec, birdieing four of his remaining seven holes on his way to a four-under 67 in the final round.

    Reed finished at 18 under, a shot clear of Bryson DeChambeau, who carded a six-under 65.

    It marked Reed's eighth PGA Tour win and first of 2020, and second World Golf Championships success, with the other coming in 2014 when this event was called the WGC-Cadillac Championship.

    Reed made three straight birdies from holes 15 to 17 to grab control, closing out victory despite a bogey at the par-four 18th.

    "It's very rewarding," he told NBC.

    "My team and I we've worked so hard through the end of last year and also the beginning of this year and we kept on feeling like we were playing some good golf, just we weren't quite able to get over that hump.

    "To come back and win my second World Golf Championship, especially with how I had to finish basically 15 onwards. The last hole was ugly but it was what I needed just to get the job done and at the end of the day just putting yourself in these positions on Sunday is just unbelievable, it's a great feeling.

    "I can't wait to go home and celebrate with the little ones and my wife and bring them home a trophy."

    Spaniard Jon Rahm (67) and South African Erik van Rooyen (70) finished tied for third at 15 under.

    World number one Rory McIlroy could only manage a closing three-under 68 to end up fifth a further shot back.

    Overnight leader Justin Thomas struggled to a two-over 73 that saw him finish tied for sixth alongside Hideki Matsuyama (67) and Tyrrell Hatton (68).

    Thomas made three bogeys on his front nine before adding a double-bogey at the par-four 10th and dropping another shot at 13.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.