Joshua to fight Pulev on December 12 at O2 Arena

By Sports Desk October 16, 2020

Anthony Joshua's fight with Kubrat Pulev has been confirmed for December 12 at the O2 Arena in London. 

Joshua was due to face the Bulgarian at Tottenham Hotspur Stadium in June for the defence of his IBF, WBA and WBO world titles. 

However, the fight was postponed due to the coronavirus pandemic and promoter Eddie Hearn suggested an all-British unification bout with Tyson Fury could take place this year if a new date was not fixed with Pulev. 

It has now been confirmed Joshua will his face mandatory challenger in his first fight in England for over two years, marking his return to the ring since defeating Andy Ruiz Jr in a rematch in Dubai last year. 

"December 12 is the date and once again the heavyweight belts go up in the air and it is my sole focus to make sure that come December 13 they are in their rightful place in the UK," said Joshua, as per Sky Sports. 

"The O2 is the original lion's den, I have a lot of history with the arena, but without the fans something huge is missing. I am really hoping that, safety permitting, we might be able to bring some boxing fans in, but we will have to see. I respect every opponent and I respect Pulev. I wish him well during his preparation." 

Pulev, 39, has lost just one of his 29 professional bouts - a knockout at the hands of Wladimir Klitschko in 2014. 

"For a small country of Bulgaria to stand up for the heavyweight titles is a great accomplishment," said Pulev. 

"This fight is for my late father and all Bulgarians around the world. I'm coming to London to seize the heavyweight championship of the world." 

Hearn sees this as the "final hurdle" for Joshua ahead of a planned double-header with Fury, set for 2021. 

"After a challenging year for everyone, to end with the unified world heavyweight championship is very special," he said. 

"Over a year after regaining his crown, Anthony Joshua takes on yet another dangerous opponent in mandatory challenger Kubrat Pulev. AJ's resume is unrivalled, and this is the final hurdle until we challenge for the undisputed crown next year."

Related items

  • Gaethje guarantees Khabib fight will be worth the hype Gaethje guarantees Khabib fight will be worth the hype

    Justin Gaethje and Dana White are each expecting Saturday's lightweight title fight against Khabib Nurmagomedov to be a classic.

    Gaethje defeated Tony Ferguson in May to earn the interim title and a shot at champion Khabib at UFC 254.

    Excitement is building ahead of the bout this weekend, but neither Gaethje nor the UFC president are concerned about letting fans down.

    When White was asked if he could offer any guarantees the fight would live up to the considerable hype, he gestured towards Gaethje before replying: "Tell me the last fight he was in that sucked."

    The fighter then interrupted and added: "I guarantee you."

    Assessing the magnitude of the bout, White said: "Khabib is one of the biggest stars in all of sports - not just UFC. The reason this fight is so big is because a lot of people believe this kid has the style to beat him.

    "You have all the ingredients for a massive fight: a big superstar and a kid who's coming after a win over a highly respected fighter.

    "These come together once in a while. It's not like these two need to scream at each other and all this kind of stuff.

    "People know who both of these guys are, they know what they're both capable of, and that's why this fight is so big.

    "On Monday and Tuesday, this was tracking as the biggest fight we've ever done."

    Gaethje has no issue with Khabib being the favourite and revealed he has told himself he will lose as motivation.

    "I know he's confident in what he does. He's done it 28 times," Gaethje said. "I expect him to believe that's what's going to happen.

    "I've been telling myself that's what's going to happen, as a matter of fact. That's what drives me every single day.

    "I'm a performer, I always show up under the lights, that's what I do. I've been doing this as long as he has."

    He added: "I've been telling myself that's going to happen and I can't wait to surprise myself again."

  • Khabib: I don't know if I can get close to Ali or Tyson Khabib: I don't know if I can get close to Ali or Tyson

    Khabib Nurmagomedov is on course to become the "GOAT" in the UFC, according to Dana White, but the fighter sees boxing icon Muhammad Ali "on a different level".

    Lightweight champion Khabib is 28-0 heading into Saturday's fight with Justin Gaethje at UFC 254.

    And president White suggests victory this weekend would represent a significant step towards the Russian being considered the greatest ever.

    "Khabib is looking down the barrel of not just the greatest to ever do it in this division," he said.

    "If he beats Justin on Saturday, he's the number one pound-for-pound fighter in the world and he's on his way to GOAT status."

    But Khabib was then asked if he might soon be ranked alongside Ali and Mike Tyson, prompting a pessimistic answer.

    "Muhammad Ali is on a different level," Khabib said. "Mike Tyson is almost the same level, but the personality of Muhammad Ali is a different level.

    "For me to become like this is a really hard question. When I was growing up, I knew this guy was the greatest.

    "I don't know if I can ever become close to these people. I didn't have this goal. I just want to win my fights.

    "But we'll see in the future, because I'm not finished yet."

    Despite some lofty goals, Khabib was reluctant to look beyond Gaethje, who is 22-2 and won the interim title against Tony Ferguson in May.

    Asked what might be next if he defeated the American, Khabib - who has spoken of facing Georges St-Pierre - replied: "I don't like this word 'if'. You never know what's going to happen tomorrow.

    "I'm focused on Justin Gaethje on Saturday night. What the UFC has after this fight you'd be better to ask this guy [White], because he calls us and then we talk about fights.

    "What's going to happen after I don't know. Right now, I'm focused on Justin Gaethje."

  • Man Utd's Ighalo condemns Nigeria killings as Anthony Joshua joins fight for change Man Utd's Ighalo condemns Nigeria killings as Anthony Joshua joins fight for change

    Manchester United striker Odion Ighalo labelled Nigeria's government "killers" after security forces and soldiers reportedly opened fire on protestors in Lagos.

    There have been ongoing protests in Nigeria against police brutality and the Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS) police unit, which has been accused of killings, torture and extortion.

    A 24-hour curfew was imposed on Tuesday, but protestors still took to the streets before fleeing as live rounds where shot towards the crowd.

    Former Nigeria international Ighalo responded to the violence following United's 2-1 Champions League win over Paris Saint-Germain.

    "I'm sad and I don't know where to start from," Ighalo said in a video message shared via social media.

    "I'm not the kind of guy who talks about politics - but I can't keep quiet anymore about what is going on back home in Nigeria.

    "I would say [to the] government are a shame to the world - for killing your own citizens, sending military to the streets, to kill [unarmed] protesters because they are protesting for their rights. It's uncalled for.

    "Today, 20th of October 2020, you people will be remembered in the history as the first government to send military to the city to start killing their own citizens.

    "I am ashamed of this government. I am tired of you guys. I can't take this anymore. I'm calling the UK government, calling all those leaders in the world to please see what is going on in Nigeria and help us - help the poor citizens.

    "The government are killing their own citizens. We are calling [the world's governments], the United Nations, to see to the matter.

    "I want to tell my brothers and sisters back home to remain safe. Be indoors, please don't come [outside]. Because this government are killers and they will keep killing if the world does not talk about this. God bless you all. Remain safe. One Nigeria."

    British-Nigerian boxing star Anthony Joshua also joined the fight for change amid the unrest.

    WBA, IBF and IBO heavyweight champion Joshua, born to a Nigerian mother and father of Nigerian ancestry, tweeted: "The situation has escalated, the violence and killings are horrendous. All because of people saying they want to live in peace?

    "I pray God opens the gates for the heroes of Nigeria! This was never a trend for me! It's real life and I want to learn how to make lasting change.

    "I'm looking at hospitals to support, along with food and care packages in the time being."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.