UFC

Covington takes swipe at the 'slime in Hollywood' over Trump's COVID battle

By Sports Desk October 04, 2020

Outspoken UFC star Colby Covington hit out at "all the slime in Hollywood" as he took aim at those he claims have wished harm on United States president Donald Trump.

Trump was this week taken into hospital after contracting coronavirus, with the 74-year-old later declaring on Saturday night that he is "feeling much better" and hoping to be "back soon".

Covington is a well-known supporter of the president and took a personal call from Trump after defeating Tyron Woodley in his latest fight last month.

The 32-year-old was in attendance for the first presidential debate between Trump and election rival Joe Biden in Cleveland last Tuesday and told his fans he has since tested negative for COVID-19.

In the same update, posted on Instagram, Covington took the opportunity to take a swipe at Trump's detractors.

"For the people who constantly slander my name, but are all of a sudden concerned with my health and well being: I'm COVID free," Covington wrote.

"I've been tested 7 times in the past 3 weeks, including prior to and after meeting with the POTUS. I was also tested during fight week, as well as before and after the debate. ALL NEGATIVE.

"Speaking of ALL NEGATIVE, how about all the slime in Hollywood and woke sports wishing harm on a 74 year old grandfather!?! How tolerant!

"Unfortunately for them and fortunately for America, @realdonaldtrump is a fighter!!! He KO's the fake news media daily. He KO'd Slow Joe and Chris Wallace at the same time on Tuesday! Now it's time for a casual weekend KO of COVID! Here's to a speedy recovery and 4 MORE YEARS!!!"

Related items

  • McGregor returns to UFC with Poirier rematch McGregor returns to UFC with Poirier rematch

    Conor McGregor's return to UFC has been confirmed with the Irishman set for a rematch against Dustin Poirier in January. 

    The 32-year-old will tackle American Poirier on January 23, with the Octagon showdown reportedly set to take place in Abu Dhabi. 

    It has been a fight that has been spoken about for several weeks, with UFC president Dana White saying in October that McGregor had yet to sign the contract for the clash. 

    Last week, the McGregor-affiliated website The Mac Life announced the paperwork had gone through. 

    McGregor retweeted news of that report and included it in his Instagram story, although he did not immediately make any personal comment about the agreement. 

    The clash will go ahead at lightweight, and it marks the end of a short spell away from the sport for McGregor. 

    He announced his retirement in June, but the former featherweight and lightweight champion has been unable to resist another eye-catching clash.

    McGregor and 31-year-old Poirier will be reunited, over six years after they went head to head at featherweight in UFC 178. 

    That was a one-sided affair, with McGregor triumphing after just one minute and 46 seconds of the first round. However, Poirier is now ranked second, behind Justin Gaethje, in the division that has lost its champion Khabib Nurmagomedov to retirement. 

    White has said the McGregor-Poirier battle will not be a title fight, and has indicated he expects Khabib to also come out of retirement.

  • Borussia Dortmund midfielder Reinier tests positive for coronavirus Borussia Dortmund midfielder Reinier tests positive for coronavirus

    Borussia Dortmund midfielder Reinier has tested positive for coronavirus, the German club have announced.

    The 18-year-old, who joined Dortmund on a two-year loan deal from Real Madrid in August, underwent PCR tests for COVID-19 upon his return from international duty with Brazil Under-23s last week.

    Reinier was not part of Dortmund's squad for their Bundesliga win over Hertha Berlin at the weekend and no other BVB players have tested positive.

    Dortmund confirmed the news on Monday, a day before their Champions League match with Club Brugge, and added that the teenager is asymptomatic and is now self-isolating.

    He has been used seven times by Lucien Favre, each of those appearances coming from the bench.

    Reinier, who won the Campeonato Brasileiro and Copa Libertadores with Flamengo in 2019, has yet to score, assist or create a chance in his three Bundesliga outings and has managed just one shot.

    Tuesday's meeting with Brugge is the first of three home games in a row for Dortmund, with Koln and Lazio to come in the next nine days.

  • UFC 255: Figueiredo beats Perez inside two minutes UFC 255: Figueiredo beats Perez inside two minutes

    Deiveson Figueiredo defended his UFC Flyweight Championship with a first-round submission of Alex Perez on Saturday.

    Figueiredo forced Perez to tap inside two minutes after a guillotine choke in Las Vegas.

    Defending his title for the first time, the Brazilian made short work of Perez.

    It had been an entertaining start to the fight before Figueiredo locked up Perez to secure his victory.

     

    WHERE WAS THE FIGHT WON?

    Perez attempted a takedown and Figueiredo tried for a leg lock before the key moment. Figueiredo trapped Perez in a guillotine choke, and the American – who replaced the injured Cody Garbrandt – tapped out.

    WHAT DOES IT MEAN?

    The win continued Figueiredo's dominance. It was his third submission victory in four fights, with the other a TKO win. He said after his win that he next wanted to face Brandon Moreno, who beat Brandon Royval on the preliminary card.

    THEY SAID WHAT?

    "Call me master of the wizards, I promised … that I was going to do this, I told him that this was going to happen and this is exactly what I was going to do so I trained for that and that's exactly what happened," Figueiredo said, via a translator, during the post-fight interview.

    NEW RECORDS (W-L-D):

    Figueiredo: 20-1-0
    Perez: 24-6-0

    REST OF THE CARD

    Valentina Shevchenko retained her UFC Women's Flyweight Championship with a unanimous-decision win over Jennifer Maia. The fight was scored 49-46 by all three judges, giving Shevchenko her fourth successful title defence.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.