UFC

Covington takes call from Trump after TKO win over Woodley

By Sports Desk September 19, 2020

Colby Covington beat Tyron Woodley by TKO before taking a call from United States president Donald Trump on Saturday.

Covington dominated Woodley in Las Vegas before a rib injury ended the fight in the fifth round.

The 32-year-old Covington attended a Trump rally last week and he received a call from the president after his win over Woodley.

"You are a great fighter man, I tell you, you make it so easy, I don't know how the hell you do that," Trump said in the call, which took place during Covington's interview on ESPN.

"Congratulations, I wanted to watch that fight tonight, I wanted to watch it, you were great."

Former interim welterweight champion Covington improved his record to 16-2 in his first fight since December last year, when he lost to Kamaru Usman for the title at UFC 245.

Related items

  • McGregor returns to UFC with Poirier rematch McGregor returns to UFC with Poirier rematch

    Conor McGregor's return to UFC has been confirmed with the Irishman set for a rematch against Dustin Poirier in January. 

    The 32-year-old will tackle American Poirier on January 23, with the Octagon showdown reportedly set to take place in Abu Dhabi. 

    It has been a fight that has been spoken about for several weeks, with UFC president Dana White saying in October that McGregor had yet to sign the contract for the clash. 

    Last week, the McGregor-affiliated website The Mac Life announced the paperwork had gone through. 

    McGregor retweeted news of that report and included it in his Instagram story, although he did not immediately make any personal comment about the agreement. 

    The clash will go ahead at lightweight, and it marks the end of a short spell away from the sport for McGregor. 

    He announced his retirement in June, but the former featherweight and lightweight champion has been unable to resist another eye-catching clash.

    McGregor and 31-year-old Poirier will be reunited, over six years after they went head to head at featherweight in UFC 178. 

    That was a one-sided affair, with McGregor triumphing after just one minute and 46 seconds of the first round. However, Poirier is now ranked second, behind Justin Gaethje, in the division that has lost its champion Khabib Nurmagomedov to retirement. 

    White has said the McGregor-Poirier battle will not be a title fight, and has indicated he expects Khabib to also come out of retirement.

  • UFC 255: Figueiredo beats Perez inside two minutes UFC 255: Figueiredo beats Perez inside two minutes

    Deiveson Figueiredo defended his UFC Flyweight Championship with a first-round submission of Alex Perez on Saturday.

    Figueiredo forced Perez to tap inside two minutes after a guillotine choke in Las Vegas.

    Defending his title for the first time, the Brazilian made short work of Perez.

    It had been an entertaining start to the fight before Figueiredo locked up Perez to secure his victory.

     

    WHERE WAS THE FIGHT WON?

    Perez attempted a takedown and Figueiredo tried for a leg lock before the key moment. Figueiredo trapped Perez in a guillotine choke, and the American – who replaced the injured Cody Garbrandt – tapped out.

    WHAT DOES IT MEAN?

    The win continued Figueiredo's dominance. It was his third submission victory in four fights, with the other a TKO win. He said after his win that he next wanted to face Brandon Moreno, who beat Brandon Royval on the preliminary card.

    THEY SAID WHAT?

    "Call me master of the wizards, I promised … that I was going to do this, I told him that this was going to happen and this is exactly what I was going to do so I trained for that and that's exactly what happened," Figueiredo said, via a translator, during the post-fight interview.

    NEW RECORDS (W-L-D):

    Figueiredo: 20-1-0
    Perez: 24-6-0

    REST OF THE CARD

    Valentina Shevchenko retained her UFC Women's Flyweight Championship with a unanimous-decision win over Jennifer Maia. The fight was scored 49-46 by all three judges, giving Shevchenko her fourth successful title defence.

  • McGregor all set for UFC comeback with Poirier rematch McGregor all set for UFC comeback with Poirier rematch

    Conor McGregor has agreed to come out of retirement for a rematch with Dustin Poirier that finally appears to be signed and sealed. 

    The 32-year-old Irishman will tackle American Poirier on January 23, and the Octagon showdown looks set to take place in Abu Dhabi. 

    It has been a fight that has been spoken about for several weeks, with UFC president Dana White saying in October that McGregor had yet to sign the contract for the clash. 

    On Thursday, the McGregor-affiliated website The Mac Life announced the paperwork had gone through. 

    McGregor retweeted news of that report and included it in his Instagram story, although he did not immediately make any personal comment about the agreement. 

    The clash will go ahead at lightweight, and it marks the end of a short spell away from the sport for McGregor. 

    He announced his retirement in June, but the former featherweight and lightweight champion has been unable to resist another eye-catching clash.

    McGregor and 31-year-old Poirier will be reunited, over six years after they went head to head at featherweight in UFC 178. 

    That was a one-sided affair, with McGregor triumphing after just one minute and 46 seconds of the first round. However, Poirier is now ranked second, behind Justin Gaethje, in the division that has lost its champion Khabib Nurmagomedov to retirement. 

    White has said the McGregor-Poirier battle will not be a title fight, and has indicated he expects Khabib to also come out of retirement. 

    McGregor said of the prospect of his own comeback last week: "I am very grateful to be about to return and get to do what I love again.” 

    In an Instagram post, he said: "I look forward to the fresh test Dustin will bring since our first bout, while also showcasing my own incredibly deep cache of weaponry. Whatever tool is needed on the night will be pulled from the duffel."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.