UFC

UFC 251: Masvidal will do 'whatever it takes' for Usman rematch

By Sports Desk July 12, 2020

Jorge Masvidal said he will do "whatever it takes" to get back in front of Kamaru Usman after producing what he described as "a s***** performance" in his defeat at UFC 251.

Masvidal stepped in as a late replacement for Gilbert Burns, who tested positive for coronavirus, for Saturday's bout at Fight Island in Abu Dhabi.

Having had just six days to prepare, Masvidal was second best in his first UFC title shot, but was in no mood for making excuses for his display.

"I'll do whatever it takes to get back in front of that man, compete again and get my hand raised," Masvidal told a media conference.

"We'll do it again, I just can't wait, they'll put an opponent in front of me and I'm going to take care of business.

"I'm going to come back better than ever. I'm not going to disappear from the sport without this belt being wrapped around my waist.

"I just feel like I let a lot of people down, it was a s***** performance. Right now I'm just f****** very butthurt.

"I know I can do more, I know a lot of people will make the excuse for me 'six days notice' but it's no excuse. I just feel like I should have been in overall better shape."

Related items

  • Renault, McLaren consider challenging Racing Point sanction as Mercedes top practice Renault, McLaren consider challenging Racing Point sanction as Mercedes top practice

    Mercedes dominated both practice sessions on Friday but much of the talk around the 70th Anniversary Grand Prix was focused on Racing Point.

    Valtteri Bottas went quickest in FP1 but Mercedes team-mate Lewis Hamilton produced the fastest lap of the day in the second session, clocking a time of one minute, 25.606 seconds ahead of the second straight race at Silverstone.

    The big story of the day, though, was the FIA docking Racing Point 15 points and handing them a €400,000 fine after it was deemed their rear brake ducts were designed by Mercedes, breaching the sporting regulations.

    Racing Point boss Otmar Szafnauer claimed the sanction was "unfair" and that the team were considering an appeal, although they will continue to use the same parts.

    A number of other teams are also thinking of challenging the severity of the punishment - though because they feel it too lenient - with the issue arising following a protest by Renault at the Styrian Grand Prix.

    Renault team principal Cyril Abiteboul was pleased action had been taken but suggested the outcome was not satisfactory.

    "I think that the question of sanction is open for debate. We will consider that matter bearing in mind that the advantage that was obviously obtained will keep on going for all the season and it's a very material advantage," said Abiteboul.

    Williams chief Claire Williams and Ferrari team principal Mattia Binotto said they would study the 14-page decision before deciding whether to make an appeal.

    McLaren boss Zak Brown was heavily critical and is concerned it is just "the tip of the iceberg" in terms of the similarities between the RP20 and Mercedes' title-winning car from 2019.

    "My initial reactions are Racing Point has been found guilty. I am concerned they still have those [brake ducts] that were deemed illegal in Austria, on the race car now. I think that is confusing for the fans," said Brown.

    "Regarding copying, obviously they claimed that they had copied the car via photography - it's clear from reading the document that that's BS. And, therefore, you have to question anything else around that car.

    "So I think this is potentially the tip of the iceberg, the starting point of looking at what's happened here because I don't think it's healthy for the sport. It's thrown up a lot more questions than answers.

    "It's something we too are going to review quickly and understand the appeal process and whether that's something that we want to potentially participate in."

    The FIA announced its intention to amend the 2021 regulations to avoid further cases of copying or cloning another vehicle.

    After the governing body's investigation found that Mercedes had supplied a complete set of W10 brake ducts to Racing Point six days after they became a 'listed part' in January, Toto Wolff insisted the reigning constructors' champions had done nothing wrong.

    Wolff said: "We feel 100 per cent comfortable with our position. We have read the rules over and over again. The verdict that came out today is extremely complicated and comes up with an interpretation that is new to all of us.

    "We have provided certain data in 2019 which was totally within the rules. The 6th of January [part of the FIA's decision] has no material effect on any of the actions, because the whole thing was delivered much earlier, and all the CAD drawings and designs were delivered much earlier. Racing Point and ourselves [collaborated] and that was in the regulations.

    "At the end, to be honest, there is zero worry on our side – and when I say zero, I mean zero – that we were in any breach, nor do I think Racing Point was in any breach.

    "And I believe that if that was called to the ICA [International Court of Appeal], it would be probably a complex matter because it was very technical, but I doubt there would be any outcome."

  • Chelsea target Havertz is better than Ballack, says Gundogan Chelsea target Havertz is better than Ballack, says Gundogan

    Reported Chelsea target Kai Havertz is better than their former midfielder Michael Ballack, according to Ilkay Gundogan.

    Bayer Leverkusen are said to be demanding at least €78million (£70m) for Havertz, who has scored 29 goals and supplied nine assists in the Bundesliga since the start of 2018-19.

    Manchester City star Gundogan acknowledged his fellow Germany international is a different type of player to Ballack, who was a Champions League runner-up with Leverkusen and Chelsea, as well as a World Cup finalist with Germany.

    Havertz has played in a more advanced role over the past two seasons and Gundogan is a bigger fan of his style than that of Ballack.

    "I expect great things from him. Kai's potential is unlimited," Gundogan told Sport Bild.

    "He brings a lot with him and now it is up to him to show his tremendous talent. He has that calmness and composure on the ball and is also a thoughtful guy off of it.

    "In my opinion, Havertz is even better than Ballack in terms of his play.

    "Ballack had a certain level of aggressiveness and mentality on the pitch; a player type of the previous generation, when you needed to be a b****** in a positive sense.

    "Kai is not like that. He does not intentionally foul or lay down a marker with a yellow card."

    While Havertz could be moving to the Premier League, Leroy Sane has left City for Bundesliga champions Bayern Munich.

    Gundogan thinks a desire to win trophies in Germany was a key motivating factor in Sane's decision.

    "The day before the move became official he confirmed it to me. It didn't shock me as I knew it was coming," he said.

    "He's not won any titles in Germany yet and I think he'll do great things in the Bundesliga and help Bayern a lot."

    Chelsea have already signed Timo Werner from RB Leipzig and Gundogan expects the forward to make a big impact in England.

    "Believe me: Everyone at City knows about Timo Werner. Many of my team-mates asked what kind of guy he is. He deserves respect," said Gundogan.

  • Conor McGregor won't fight again in 2020, insists UFC president White Conor McGregor won't fight again in 2020, insists UFC president White

    UFC president Dana White said Conor McGregor will not fight again this year, while adding no bout is planned for the Irish star in 2021.

    McGregor announced his decision to retire in June, having returned to the Octagon in January after a 15-month absence and knocked out Donald Cerrone at welterweight in just 40 seconds.

    Former featherweight and lightweight champion McGregor had been planning to fight three times in 2020, however, the coronavirus pandemic scuppered that strategy.

    And White insisted there are no plans for McGregor to return to UFC in 2020.

    "This year, he is retired," White told Barstool Sports on Monday.

    "He doesn't have a fight this year, and he won't have a fight this year. Conor McGregor will not fight in 2020.

    "I'm not saying he won't fight in 2021, but I'm telling you we don't have a fight planned for him in 2021. But I guarantee you he will not fight in 2020. Conor McGregor is retired."

    White added: "Do we all believe he'll stay retired? I think most of us don't believe that he'll remain retired, but let me put it to you this way: I owe fighters that are under contract with me three fights a year.

    "OK? If I don't deliver those three fights a year, I have to pay them. Conor McGregor is retired, whether people want to believe it or not.

    "He is not fighting right now, so when he's not fighting, I don't even think about him or what he's doing or any of that stuff on a business level. I'll still shoot him a text personally, but on a business level, he's out of the mix. He's not fighting at all. So everybody keeps asking questions about him, and I'm like, 'Manny Pacquiao? What the f*** are you talking about?"

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.