Surprised by COVID-19, Olympic hopeful Hanson will not allow pandemic to keep him off guard

By April 06, 2020

Though disappointed that the Olympics has been postponed for another year because of the coronavirus pandemic, Janathan 'Musfasa' Hanson says he refuses to be put off by the setbacks brought on by the nightmarish situation.

The 30-year-old middleweight boxer was in preparation for upcoming Olympic qualifiers when news of the postponement came. Reality hit him hard.

“I was in the process of qualifying. The qualifying tournament, which was in Argentina, was to run from March 26- April 8. It was postponed and a week later, cancelled. All the remaining Olympic boxing qualifying tournaments have also been suspended until who knows when,” he told Sportsmax.TV.

“This is a huge disappointment. Like myself, a lot of athletes have been preparing for the last three-to-four years only to be hit with this postponement. “For some it's simple, but for those that have sacrificed for the last three years it's different.”

The development, he said, has forced him to change strategies in order to adapt to the new paradigm. “Like most athletes, I had to go back to the drawing board and reassess my preparation with another year to go. However, this may be a great opportunity,” he said.

“This year I've had the privilege to be sponsored by Spartan Gym and Mark Miller from MonkFit. I also have partnered with a new boxing coach, Nathan Boothe, from England. This additional year will allow me the time to cement my preparation. If I wasn't prepared before with this new team behind me, I'll definitely be prepared by then.”

In the meantime, he is hopeful that the Jamaica Boxing Board can get some meaningful fights for him and other Jamaican boxers once the situation allows.

“I've beaten Panama's middleweight and light heavy boxers but, to be truly prepared for the world biggest sporting event, the entire Jamaican boxing team needs more exposure. The Panama event was great, however, we need more fights against different opponents to sharpen our skills,” he said.

Sharpening those skills have also become more challenging with the increasing restrictions being imposed by the government as it seeks to flatten the curve with regards to the spread of the virus. However, he is ready to overcome the challenges that lie before him.

“This pandemic has been a shot to the heart for all sporting events. It has crippled my training and preparation. With all gyms closed and the curfew, it has become hard if not nearly impossible to train,” he said.

“However, I'm extremely determined not to allow this pandemic to divert me from my goal. I still train six times a week because from every disappointment comes an opportunity and when that opportunity comes I won't be caught off guard.”

Leighton Levy

Leighton Levy is a journalist with 28 years’ experience covering crime, entertainment, and sports. He joined the staff at SportsMax.TV as a content editor two years ago and is enjoying the experience of developing sports content and new ideas. At SportsMax.tv he is pursuing his true passion - sports.

Related items

  • Retired Bolt still frets over world records Retired Bolt still frets over world records

    Retired Jamaican sprint king, Usain Bolt, must have had a nervous moment, or two, when American Noah Lyes was recorded crossing the line in 18.90, in a 200m sprint, during the socially distanced Inspiration Games earlier this week.

    It turns out, however, in a massive error, that the athlete had only run 185 metres after starting from the wrong spot.  The novel competition saw 28 athletes split into three teams, taking part in eight events, at seven different venues. 

    Competitors were connected by a live video and timing link with a split-screen.  Lyles represented Team North America, and convincingly beat Team Europe's Christophe Lemaitre, in Zurich, and Team World's Churandy Martina, in Papendal.  The organisers at the Bradenton, Florida track while Lyles ran, however, didn’t get things quite right and he was later disqualified.

    In a recent interview with Variety, Bolt, who will be featured in the upcoming Greatness Code Apple series, admitted that these days he was more focused on being a good dad.  He, however, still enjoys watching track and field but stays clear of any thoughts of picking his successor.  Bolt previously picked compatriot Yohan Blake and South African Wayde Van Niekerk to replace him as the new king of sprinting.  While Blake is yet to recover the type of form that saw him crowned the world’s second-fastest man, van Niekerk broke the 400m world record but then suffered a serious injury.

    “For me, I’m just watching.  I think I tend to have bad luck in picking people.  When I say I like this person at times it doesn’t work out,” Bolt said.

    Bolt's records of 9.58, over 100m, and 19.19, in the 200m, are now 11 years old.

  • Coronavirus:  Former NL MVP Posey opts out of 2020 MLB season Coronavirus:  Former NL MVP Posey opts out of 2020 MLB season

    San Francisco Giants star catcher Buster Posey will not play in the upcoming MLB season, he announced on Friday.

    Posey, the 2012 National League MVP, is the latest high-profile player to opt out of a campaign that has been shortened by the coronavirus pandemic.

    The 33-year-old told reporters on a conference call he and his wife have adopted twin girls that were born prematurely and are still hospitalised, making him uncomfortable taking any additional health risks that could come about from travelling and playing games.

    The six-time All-Star had missed three recent team workouts for what the Giants said were personal reasons. 

    "I just feel like in the current state we are now, and these babies being as fragile as they are for the next four months at minimum, this ultimately was not a difficult decision for me," Posey said.  

    A team statement said: "The Giants fully supports Buster's decision. Buster is an integral part of our team and will be sorely missed, but we look forward to having him back in 2021." 

    Posey will forfeit around $8million of his prorated salary by choosing not to play. He is under contract in 2021 with the Giants holding a $22m club option for 2022. 

    He joins Los Angeles Dodgers pitcher David Price, Colorado Rockies outfielder Ian Desmond, outfielder Nick Markakis and pitcher Felix Hernandez of the Atlanta Braves, infielder Ryan Zimmerman and pitcher Joe Ross of the Washington Nationals, and Arizona Diamondbacks pitcher Mike Leake as notable players who have chosen to opt out. 

    Posey is coming off the worst offensive season of his 11-year career, batting .257 with seven home runs and 38 RBIs in 114 games, but is the only catcher on the Giants' 40-man roster with extensive major league experience.

    San Francisco do have a top prospect at the position in Joey Bart, but the 23-year-old has never played above Double-A. 

  • Coronavirus: MLB announces 83 COVID-19 cases since intake testing Coronavirus: MLB announces 83 COVID-19 cases since intake testing

    MLB released its coronavirus test numbers from the first week of training camp, including 66 new cases from intake testing as players arrived at their home ballparks.  

    Seventeen more new cases were discovered in monitoring testing, which screens players every other day and staff at least twice per week.  

    Among the 83 positive tests since the league started its protocol are 71 players and 12 staff members from 28 different MLB clubs.  

    The 66 cases from intake testing represent a 1.8 per cent positive rate, while the 17 positive tests from monitoring – which includes testing people multiple times – are just 0.2 per cent of tests administered since teams started workouts.  

    Some in the league – including Washington Nationals general manager Mike Rizzo and Chicago Cubs third baseman Kris Bryant – have been critical of MLB's inability to test as often as planned and deliver timely results.  

    Some notable players who have made their positive cases public are Atlanta Braves first baseman Freddie Freeman, New York Yankees infielder DJ LeMahieu, Colorado Rockies outfielder Charlie Blackmon, Kansas City Royals catcher Salvador Perez and Texas Rangers slugger Joey Gallo.  

    The announcement comes on the same day that San Francisco Giants star catcher Buster Posey said that he plans to sit out the 2020 campaign.  

    Posey is perhaps the biggest name on a growing list of players opting out which includes Los Angeles Dodgers pitcher David Price, Rockies outfield Ian Desmond, Arizona Diamondbacks pitcher Mike Leake and Atlanta Braves outfielder Nick Markakis.  

    The coronavirus pandemic has already wreaked havoc on the 2020 MLB season, delaying its start by at least four months, shortening the season from 162 to 60 games and preventing fans from attending.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.