Callum Smith turned down Canelo fight, says De La Hoya

By Sports Desk February 13, 2020

Oscar De La Hoya has accused Callum Smith of turning down the chance to fight Saul 'Canelo' Alvarez at super-middleweight.

Alvarez (53-1-2) stepped up to light-heavyweight to beat Sergey Kovalev last November, but it remains to be seen who the Mexican, widely considered one of the best pound-for-pound fighters around, will face next.

Smith - the WBA's super champion at 168 pounds - has been touted as a potential opponent and the undefeated Englishman (27-0) has previously spoken of his desire to face Alvarez.

However, De La Hoya, the CEO of Golden Boy Promotions, says Smith has failed to back up his talk.

"Callum Smith turned down the fight," De La Hoya told ESPN.

"I wish him all the best. He’s bragging how he wants to fight the best and he turns it down.

"What's wrong with these fighters?"

Related items

  • Saunders suspended for video advising how to hit women Saunders suspended for video advising how to hit women

    Billy Joe Saunders has had his boxing licence suspended after he offered advice to men on how to hit their female partners during the coronavirus lockdown.

    Saunders demonstrated boxing techniques on a punching bag in a video posted on social media and was seen explaining what to do if "your old woman is giving you mouth" and how to "hit her on the chin".

    Promoter Eddie Hearn said he was "appalled" by the WBO world super-middle champion's "idiotic" actions.

    The British Boxing Board of Control (BBBofC) on Monday suspended the 30-year-old Brit, who will face a hearing.

    A statement from  BBBofC general secretary Robert W. Smith said: "The British Boxing Board of Control having considered comments made by Billy Joe Saunders on social media have suspended his boxer's licence pending a hearing under the Board’s misconduct regulation, at a time and venue to be confirmed as soon as possible."

    Saunders issued an apology on Twitter and insisted he does not condone domestic violence after receiving a backlash online.

    Hearn told talkSPORT on Monday: "I haven't spoken to him. I spoke to his management team last night. I was appalled really.

    "It was so idiotic, it was so frustrating because I know Billy well. He's a really good kid, with a really good heart. 

    "He does a lot for the community, he does a lot for charity, but every now and again he does the most stupid things. 

    "The world has changed and realised about all kinds of different things, about how you need to treat people.

    "It's always with Billy. He spent the weekend down at the NHS, delivering food packages, and meeting people. It's one step forward, four steps back with Billy Joe Saunders and it is frustrating.

    "He's got this mentality where it's me against the world. Sometimes you can have a conversation with him and say, 'Bill, what are you doing?' And sometimes that can make it worse. I leave him alone now and when I talk to him, I will be telling him, 'You're a prat, what are you doing?'.

    "I can only tell you he does have a good heart, he didn't mean anything in the video, but you just can't do it, especially when you're in his position. It's unacceptable for Joe Bloggs down the street to do it. It's much more unacceptable for a world champion boxer to be doing it.

    "Thinking you're having a laugh, or not having a laugh, young people are watching that video. People who are in abusive relationships are watching that video. You cannot do it, it's unacceptable."

    Saunders has been awaiting a decision as to whether he or fellow Briton Callum Smith would fight Saul 'Canelo' Alvarez next, although a third bout between the Mexican great and his rival Gennadiy Golovkin has since reportedly moved closer to being finalised.

  • Coronavirus: Whyte-Povetkin and Usyk-Chisora called off Coronavirus: Whyte-Povetkin and Usyk-Chisora called off

    The heavyweight fights between Dillian Whyte and Alexander Povetkin and Oleksandr Usyk and Dereck Chisora have been called off due to the coronavirus pandemic.

    Whyte was due to step into the ring with Povetkin for an interim WBC heavyweight world title showdown at the Manchester Arena on May 2, but the fight will not go ahead.

    The British Boxing Board of Control (BBBofC) on Monday further extended its suspension of boxing events until the end of May, with the United Kingdom in lockdown.

    Matchroom Boxing stated that the bout has been rescheduled for July 4, although that is subject to how long the ongoing crisis lasts for. 

    Usyk was set to do battle with Chisora at The O2 in London on May 23, but that has also been called off and no new date has been agreed.

    A BBBofC statement said: "The British Boxing Board of Control has further extended its suspension of boxing tournaments under its jurisdiction for the month of May.

    "We will continue to follow the government and medical authorities' advice and keep the situation under review, and when possible explore all options available to find a way of lifting the suspension when conditions permit."

    Katie Taylor's world title showdown with Amanda Serrano was due to be on the undercard for Whyte's battle with Povetkin.

     

     

     

  • Eddie Hearn 'appalled' by 'idiotic' Billy Joe Saunders video Eddie Hearn 'appalled' by 'idiotic' Billy Joe Saunders video

    Eddie Hearn was "appalled" by "idiotic" video footage that appeared to show Billy Joe Saunders offering advice to men on how to hit women during the coronavirus lockdown.

    In the footage, the WBO world super-middleweight champion demonstrates boxing techniques on a punching bag and can be seen explaining what to do if "your old woman is giving you mouth" and how to "hit her on the chin".

    Saunders later issued an apology on Twitter and insisted he does not condone domestic violence after receiving a backlash online.

    Hearn, Saunders' promoter, labelled the video as "unacceptable".

    "I haven't spoken to him. I spoke to his management team last night. I was appalled really," Hearn told talkSPORT.

    "It was so idiotic, it was so frustrating because I know Billy well. He's a really good kid, with a really good heart. 

    "He does a lot for the community, he does a lot for charity, but every now and again he does the most stupid things. 

    "The world has changed and realised about all kinds of different things, about how you need to treat people.

    "It's always with Billy. He spent the weekend down at the NHS, delivering food packages, and meeting people. It's one step forward, four steps back with Billy Joe Saunders and it is frustrating.

    "He's got this mentality where it's me against the world. Sometimes you can have a conversation with him and say, 'Bill, what are you doing?' And sometimes that can make it worse. I leave him alone now and when I talk to him, I will be telling him, 'You're a prat, what are you doing?'.

    "I can only tell you he does have a good heart, he didn't mean anything in the video, but you just can't do it, especially when you're in his position. It's unacceptable for Joe Bloggs down the street to do it. It's much more unacceptable for a world champion boxer to be doing it.

    "Thinking you're having a laugh, or not having a laugh, young people are watching that video. People who are in abusive relationships are watching that video. You cannot do it, it's unacceptable."

    Saunders has won all of his 29 professional fights and Hearn said last month the 30-year-old was awaiting a decision as to whether he or fellow Briton Callum Smith would fight Saul 'Canelo' Alvarez next, although a third bout between the Mexican great and his rival Gennadiy Golovkin has since reportedly moved closer to being finalised.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.