Reinstate Whyte as mandatory challenger, Hearn tells WBC

By Sports Desk December 09, 2019

Dillian Whyte should be restored as the mandatory challenger to the victor of Deontay Wilder's bout with Tyson Fury, Eddie Hearn has said.

The promoter's call comes in the wake of Whyte being cleared by UK Anti-Doping (UKAD) after initially being charged by the body for testing positive for a banned substance.

After beating Oscar Rivas on points in July, Whyte was provisionally stripped of his WBC interim title and status as mandatory challenger to champion Wilder by the sanctioning body.

However, the Briton was on the undercard for Anthony Joshua's rematch with Andy Ruiz Jr. and, ahead of Saturday's victory over Mariusz Wach, UKAD announced he had been absolved of any wrongdoing.

Whyte said he had "been through hell" and Hearn insists the 31-year-old ought to be immediately reinstated in the WBC pecking order.

"Dillian should get the mandatory position for the winner of Wilder versus Fury [in February]," Hearn told Sky Sports.

"We go back to the WBC now and make sure they give him what he was supposed to get.

"In my opinion, they took it away unjustly, so now, bearing in mind the results of the case, they have to reinstate him immediately, and it should now come for the winner of that fight."

Related items

  • Coronavirus: No evidence boxers were infected at Olympics qualifier in London - IOC Coronavirus: No evidence boxers were infected at Olympics qualifier in London - IOC

    The International Olympic Committee (IOC) has said there is no evidence to suggest members of Turkey's team contracted coronavirus during the Boxing Road to Tokyo event in London.

    Just three days of action were possible at the Copper Box Arena before the competition was brought to a premature halt on March 16 due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

    The Turkish Boxing Federation accused the IOC Boxing Task Force of being irresponsible for allowing the European qualifier to go ahead in the circumstances, with reports saying two of their fighters and a coach have tested positive.

    While expressing sympathy for those who have been taken ill, the task force feels there is nothing to suggest they were infected during the competition.

    An IOC Boxing Task Force statement said: "Yesterday, the IOC Boxing Task Force (BTF) received news reports regarding participants of the Boxing Road to Tokyo European qualifier held in London from 14 to 16 March 2020, who reportedly tested positive for COVID-19 following a return to their country.

    "Most importantly, the BTF wants to express its sympathy for the affected athletes and officials and wishes them a very speedy and full recovery, and the BTF is in close contact with their respective National Olympic Committees. 

    "Some news reports appeared to draw a connection between the affected participants and the Boxing Road to Tokyo European qualifier held in London. The London event was suspended 10 days ago, on 16 March 2020, and the BTF is not aware of any link between the competition and the infection.

    "Many participants were in independently organised training camps in Italy, Great Britain and in their home countries before the competition started on 14 March 2020 and have returned home a while ago so it is not possible to know the source of infection.

    "The BTF notes, that at the time of the European qualifier in London there were many sports and other events going on in Great Britain because there were no governmental restrictions or advice on public events in place.

    "Nevertheless, in cooperation between the BTF and the Local Organising Committee, precautionary measures before, during and in the follow-up phase of the event were implemented and the event was suspended when the COVID-19 situation developed further.

    "Safeguarding the well-being of the athletes, officials and all other participants has always been a top priority for the BTF."

  • On this day in sport: Lakers set NBA record, Foreman flattens Norton in a hurry On this day in sport: Lakers set NBA record, Foreman flattens Norton in a hurry

    The Los Angeles Lakers and Megan Schutt will look back fondly on their previous achievements on March 26 - but Ken Norton will not be circling the date in his calendar.

    A star-studded Lakers team achieved a memorable NBA feat 48 years ago, while Schutt made Australian cricket history in 2018.

    However, for Norton, this day will bring back painful memories of a chastening defeat to heavyweight rival George Foreman.

    Take a look back at the some of the most notable sporting moments that occurred on this down the years.

     

    1972 - Lakers set the benchmark

    Led by head coach Bill Sharman and with a roster including Elgin Baylor, Wilt Chamberlain and Jerry West, the Lakers set an NBA benchmark by defeating Seattle.

    The 124-98 triumph saw the Lakers finish the regular season with a 69-13 record, at the time giving them the best win percentage (.841) posted by a team.

    Their record stood for 24 years until Michael Jordan's Chicago Bulls posted a 72-10 campaign, while the Golden State Warriors went even better with a 73-9 mark in 2015-16.

    1974 - Foreman keeps streak going

    Norton was known for being a tough nut to crack. The heavyweight had two titanic battles against Muhammad Ali in 1973, the legendary pair recording a win apiece.

    However, Foreman wasted little time in dealing with Norton the following year, the WBA and WBC champion retaining his titles in Caracas, Venezuela, with a stunning second-round stoppage.

    It was a 37th knockout win for Foreman, improving his record to 40-0. The winning run ended later in 1974, though, as he was famously beaten by Ali in 'The Rumble in the Jungle'.

    2018 - Schutt locks down India

    Schutt became the first Australian woman to take a Twenty20 hat-trick at international level, in the process helping secure victory over India in Mumbai.

    The seam bowler had conceded 10 runs from four deliveries before finishing her first over with the wickets of opening duo Smriti Mandhana and Mithali Raj.

    However, Schutt was forced to wait to complete her treble, returning to the attack later in the innings at the opposite end to get Deepti Sharma caught in the deep. Australia, who had made 186-5 earlier in the game, triumphed by 36 runs.

  • Coronavirus: December unification fight no problem for Joshua - Hearn Coronavirus: December unification fight no problem for Joshua - Hearn

    Eddie Hearn believes Anthony Joshua would have "no problem" facing Tyson Fury or Deontay Wilder in a December heavyweight unification fight a year on from his previous bout.

    Joshua is due to put his world heavyweight titles on the line against IBF mandatory challenger Kubrat Pulev at Tottenham Hotspur Stadium on June 20.

    Hearn, the Brit's promoter, knows that is unlikely to go ahead due to the coronavirus pandemic, given there is no knowing when sport will resume and Spurs still have a Premier League season to finish.

    Fury and Wilder were due to do battle for a third time in July, but the WBC champion's co-promoter, Bob Arum, said the trilogy fight could be put back to October.

    Hearn does not feel Joshua would have an issue stepping straight into a titanic showdown in search of a sweep of the titles at the end of the year if there is a drastic change of plan.

    He told BBC Radio 5 Live: "Right now our plan is to fight Pulev in June or July then fight Fury or whoever holds the WBC belt at the time.

    "If the Pulev fight can't take place we may end up seeing that fight [against Fury] happen later this year.

    "It wouldn't be ideal for AJ boxing in December to have been out for a whole year going into a fight like that but I don't think he would have a problem with it."

    Joshua won a rematch with Andy Ruiz Jr. in Saudi Arabia last December to regain his WBA, IBF and WBO straps.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.