Ferrari and O'Shaughnessy to represent St Lucia at Carib Boxing Championships

By December 04, 2019
Nathan Ferrari Nathan Ferrari

Nathan Ferrari and Dudley O'Shaughnessy will comprise a two-member boxing team from St Lucia set to contest the 2019 Caribbean Boxing Championships, which begins on Monday, December 9, in Trinidad and Tobago.

Staged under the auspices of the American Boxing Federation and the Caribbean Boxing Steering Committee, the competition will attract nearly 200 boxers from 17 countries. Participants have been confirmed from Puerto Rico, Venezuela, and the Dominican Republic, who are first-timers. Cuba has is also being invited for the first time.

Ferrari is a former Caribbean school-boy champion who has been training in the Twin-Island Republic for the past two months. He will compete in the 64kg class. Meanwhile, O'Shaugnessy, who is based in England, will go in the 69kg category.

The weigh-in for the championships was on Wednesday with the technical meeting and draw set for Wednesday night.

Fights will be hosted at the National Cycling Velodrome in Couva.

Leighton Levy

Leighton Levy is a journalist with 28 years’ experience covering crime, entertainment, and sports. He joined the staff at SportsMax.TV as a content editor two years ago and is enjoying the experience of developing sports content and new ideas. At SportsMax.tv he is pursuing his true passion - sports.

Related items

  • Billy Joe Saunders apologises for domestic violence advice video Billy Joe Saunders apologises for domestic violence advice video

    Billy Joe Saunders issued an apology after a video emerged of him showing men how to hit women during the coronavirus lockdown.

    Thirty-year-old Saunders can be seen explaining what to do if "your old woman is giving you mouth" and how to "hit her on the chin".

    In the footage, the WBO world super-middleweight champion demonstrates boxing techniques on a punching bag.

    But Saunders later insisted he does not condone domestic violence, and said sorry to anyone offended by the video after receiving a backlash online.

    "I would never condone domestic violence and if I saw a man touch a woman I would smash him to pieces myself," he wrote on Twitter.

    "I have a daughter and if a man laid a finger on her it would be [sic] end well. Apologies if I offended any women stay blessed."

    Saunders has won all of his 29 professional fights and his promoter Eddie Hearn said last month the 30-year-old was awaiting a decision as to whether he or fellow Briton Callum Smith would fight Mexican great Saul 'Canelo' Alvarez next.

  • Coronavirus: Anthony Yarde's father dies from COVID-19 Coronavirus: Anthony Yarde's father dies from COVID-19

    The father of British boxer Anthony Yarde has died after contracting coronavirus.

    The 28-year-old, who last year put up a valiant effort in a losing battle for Sergey Kovalev's WBO light heavyweight title, announced the news via an Instragram story.

    Yarde said his father had no underlying health problems and warned people to take the threat of COVID-19 seriously.

    "I'm a very private person and tbh I'm still in shock but maybe this can help people stay home," he wrote.

    "My dad passed away from this virus yesterday and he was fit with no health issues.

    "The more people go out and mingle the longer this isolation will last and the more it will spread.

    "I'm not a doctor but I do know if you stay home you are less likely to catch it or pass it on. It's seriously not worth the risk."

    Yarde, who has a 19-1 record, is slated to face Lyndon Arthur at the O2 Arena on July 11.

    There have been 17,089 confirmed coronavirus cases in the UK, with 1,019 people having died.

  • Coronavirus: No evidence boxers were infected at Olympics qualifier in London - IOC Coronavirus: No evidence boxers were infected at Olympics qualifier in London - IOC

    The International Olympic Committee (IOC) has said there is no evidence to suggest members of Turkey's team contracted coronavirus during the Boxing Road to Tokyo event in London.

    Just three days of action were possible at the Copper Box Arena before the competition was brought to a premature halt on March 16 due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

    The Turkish Boxing Federation accused the IOC Boxing Task Force of being irresponsible for allowing the European qualifier to go ahead in the circumstances, with reports saying two of their fighters and a coach have tested positive.

    While expressing sympathy for those who have been taken ill, the task force feels there is nothing to suggest they were infected during the competition.

    An IOC Boxing Task Force statement said: "Yesterday, the IOC Boxing Task Force (BTF) received news reports regarding participants of the Boxing Road to Tokyo European qualifier held in London from 14 to 16 March 2020, who reportedly tested positive for COVID-19 following a return to their country.

    "Most importantly, the BTF wants to express its sympathy for the affected athletes and officials and wishes them a very speedy and full recovery, and the BTF is in close contact with their respective National Olympic Committees. 

    "Some news reports appeared to draw a connection between the affected participants and the Boxing Road to Tokyo European qualifier held in London. The London event was suspended 10 days ago, on 16 March 2020, and the BTF is not aware of any link between the competition and the infection.

    "Many participants were in independently organised training camps in Italy, Great Britain and in their home countries before the competition started on 14 March 2020 and have returned home a while ago so it is not possible to know the source of infection.

    "The BTF notes, that at the time of the European qualifier in London there were many sports and other events going on in Great Britain because there were no governmental restrictions or advice on public events in place.

    "Nevertheless, in cooperation between the BTF and the Local Organising Committee, precautionary measures before, during and in the follow-up phase of the event were implemented and the event was suspended when the COVID-19 situation developed further.

    "Safeguarding the well-being of the athletes, officials and all other participants has always been a top priority for the BTF."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.