GGG v Derevyanchenko: Golovkin trainer doubts Canelo wants third instalment

By Sports Desk October 04, 2019

Gennady Golovkin's trainer Johnathon Banks does not think Saul 'Canelo' Alvarez wants to get back in the ring with his fighter – joking a third bout between the middleweight superstars will only happen "when they're both 65 years old".

Golovkin (39 wins, one defeat, one draw) will attempt to become a two-time world champion in New York on Saturday against Ukraine's Sergiy Derevyanchenko (13-1).

The 37-year-old Kazakhstani's old IBF belt is on the line having been vacated by Alvarez, after the Mexican prevailed via a majority decision in their second fight last year.

As with an initial split-decision draw in 2017, many observers felt Golovkin did enough to get the verdict, meaning plenty of appetite remains for a trilogy.

But, despite both men now having multi-million dollar broadcast deals with US streaming giant DAZN, Alvarez recently told the Los Angeles Times: "Golovkin does not represent anything for me right now. He doesn’t represent a challenge that I haven't had already in our two fights… For me, yes, we are finished."

A trip up to light-heavyweight against veteran world champion Sergey Kovalev is next on Alvarez's agenda in November, and Banks feels he will continue to pursue other options due to the bruising nature of the 24 rounds he shared with Golovkin.

"Man, as of right now I don’t think nobody can see it happening," Banks told Omnisport, when asked about the prospect of Alvarez and Golovkin fighting again. "Not even Canelo himself. He said he doesn't see it happening.

"And if it does happen, it happens when they're both 65 years old. That way [Golovkin] won't be able to hit so hard."

Banks is heading into the second fight of his partnership with Golovkin, the superstar having parted company with long-time trainer Abel Sanchez after the second Alvarez fight.

GGG's fearsome knockout power appeared in good order as an overmatched Steve Rolls was dispatched inside four rounds in June, and Banks feels the only chance his man has of finding a definitive conclusion to the Alvarez rivalry would be to settle matters inside the distance.

"I think the only way that he would get a decision over Canelo is if he knocked him out," he said.

"For me personally, if I was in the camp and that was the opponent, that would be the goal."

First up is Derevyanchenko - a 33-year-old boasting a stellar amateur career, with his only loss in the paid ranks coming when he challenged stablemate Danny Jacobs for the WBA title, dropping a split decision.

If the younger man opts for the all-action approach he brought against Jacobs, Banks foresees Golovkin closing the show in familiar fashion.

"A guy like Derevyanchenko, he's a volume puncher," Banks added. "It's very rare and very hard to notice any weaknesses, because any weaknesses he does have he makes up for with the volume of punches that he throws.

"I think everybody was talking about how they think he won the Jacobs fight; I don’t think he won the Jacobs fight.

"I think Jacobs was able to do whatever he wanted to do in the ring. I don't think Derevyanchenko was frightened of Danny Jacobs; I don't think Danny Jacobs was frightened of Derevyanchenko.

"It made it a good fight because the guys knew each other so well. If Derevyanchenko fights GGG like he fought Danny Jacobs, then my opinion is it will be a short night."

Related items

  • KSI v Logan Paul II bigger than Anthony Joshua's bout with Andy Ruiz, states Hearn KSI v Logan Paul II bigger than Anthony Joshua's bout with Andy Ruiz, states Hearn

    KSI's fight with fellow social media influencer Logan Paul was bigger than Anthony Joshua's heavyweight bout with Andy Ruiz Jr, according to Eddie Hearn.

    Promoter Hearn organised Saturday's fight between YouTubers KSI - real name Olajide Olatunji - and Paul at Los Angeles' Staples Center.

    The six-round bout, a rematch following an initial draw at Manchester Arena in 2018, was settled in KSI's favour on a split decision.

    Now Hearn has claimed the event had eclipsed former world heavyweight champion Joshua's shock defeat to Ruiz at Madison Square Garden in terms of pay-per-view numbers.

    "The first fight did 1.2million pay-per-view buys globally. This was much, much bigger this time around," Hearn told Sirius XM's Fight Nation.

    "It's the biggest pay-per-view in the UK of the year so far. That includes the first Joshua-Ruiz Jr fight from America. This fight was cheaper, was half the price of that.

    "You don't realise the audience these guys have. They brought our sport to reach new ground and reach new territories, new demographics and new markets."

    Saturday's fight was broadcast by Sky Box Office, sports streaming service DAZN and Fite TV.

    "I believe DAZN will announce some numbers this week but I understand it was the most-viewed fight on DAZN so far," Matchroom Boxing boss Hearn said. "It was a big subscription driver as well.

    "It wasn't just those two key territories, it was all those other little territories. When we look at the breakdown on Fite TV –– Australia, Saudi Arabia, Eastern Europe, Africa –– it was everywhere."

    Joshua and Ruiz will have their own rematch in Saudi Arabia on December 7, with the heavyweight belts again on the line.

  • Robbie Williams collaboration should not concern Tyson Fury backers, says Warren Robbie Williams collaboration should not concern Tyson Fury backers, says Warren

    Frank Warren has no concerns about Tyson Fury's extra-curricular activities – including a Christmas collaboration with Robbie Williams - distracting from his preparations to fight Deontay Wilder in February.

    Just over three months before he is due to face Wilder in a rematch for the WBC heavyweight title, Fury has been a busy man outside of the boxing ring.

    The unbeaten fighter has had a run with WWE that culminated in a winning appearance at their Crown Jewel pay-per-view in Saudi Arabia, while he has trained with UFC star Darren Till and discussed how he would fare if he changed sports.

    Next on the agenda is a book release, along with a Christmas single with Let Me Entertain You star Williams, who performed at the World Cup opening ceremony last year.

    But his manager Warren insists he would rather Fury is kept busy ahead of facing Wilder, with whom he drew a classic initial encounter in December 2018. 

    "He is one of those people that needs to have something going on," Warren told talkSPORT about concerns over Fury's focus.

    "The wrestling for him kept him in the gym, it kept him working. He has his book going on. He has got a Christmas single coming out with Robbie Williams. 

    "He is not sat around – that is the type of guy he is. He is a consummate entertainer.

    "He knows what he wants at the end of the day and that is the rematch with Deontay Wilder."

    Before facing Fury, Wilder must come through a battle with Luis Ortiz on November 23.

    Warren added: "It is all now down to Deontay Wilder. He is fighting Luis Ortiz. He wins that fight, hopefully comes through unscathed, then the fight is on.

    "Tyson has done everything he has had to do and he is ready to roll on the 22nd.

    "It is a big, big fight, it is a big money fight, and we hope now that Deontay doesn't screw up and ruin the day."

  • Love Island star Tommy Fury calls out KSI after Logan Paul bout Love Island star Tommy Fury calls out KSI after Logan Paul bout

    Tommy Fury, the younger brother of former unified world heavyweight champion Tyson Fury and star of reality TV show Love Island, has challenged YouTuber KSI to a fight.

    KSI beat fellow YouTube sensation Logan Paul in a split decision in a highly publicised six-round bout at the Staples Center in Los Angeles on Saturday.

    Fury, meanwhile, has put romance to one side to return to the ring in December after featuring on ITV's Love Island programme earlier in 2019.

    And Fury says there would be no love lost should KSI - whose real name is Olajide Olatunji - take up his challenge of a "battle of Britain."

    "I wasn't aware KSI wanted to keep fighting," Fury told iFL TV. "He said after the fight he wants to keep fighting, keep boxing.

    "I'm from Love Island on TV, he's from YouTube. We're both known and have got big fanbases in the UK. He's in London, I'm in Manchester. A battle of Britain would be interesting.

    "I wouldn't be calling his name but he says he wants to keep fighting, sees himself as a fighting man. The offer is there, if he wants to take it up with me, he knows how to use the phone.

    "A lot of people would love to see it. People would like to see him come up against a professional boxer who's been doing it for quite a while now. I might not have had many professional fights but I've been doing the training.

    "I think people would tune in to see how he could take on a real boxer, see how he fares against that. It's not like he's taking on a world champion. He knows where I'm at."

    Fury also gave Deontay Wilder "no chance" of overcoming his brother Tyson should a heavyweight rematch between the two go ahead as expected on February 22.

    "I'm sure we'll see Tyson and Wilder in the ring, February 22," Fury said. 

    "Tyson will beat him easy this time. When you strip it down you've got to look at it. When Tyson fought Wilder he came off two sparring matches, just getting out there and used to the crowd. Then he went and fought Wilder.

    "February 22 he's going to be a changed man. He's already had the fights, he's been training more and if Wilder couldn't beat him then, he's got no chance now."

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.