Former cruiserweight champ Denis Lebedev retires

By Sports Desk July 11, 2019

Former world cruiserweight champion Denis Lebedev has announced his retirement, vacating the WBA 'super' title as a result.

The 39-year-old, who has not fought since November, has ended a long and colourful career in the ring.

Lebedev was last year hoping to face then-unified cruiserweight champion Oleksandr Usyk, but the Ukrainian moved up to heavyweight in March.

After a planned bout against Arsen Goulamirian - holder of the WBA's 'regular' belt - collapsed last week, Lebedev made the decision to retire.

"The time has come to leave elite sport," he said in a video posted on social media. "As a real man, husband and father, I must focus on my big family and try to give as much attention as possible to those closest to me."

Known for entering the ring in a Russian paratrooper uniform, Lebedev won the interim WBA cruiserweight title in 2011 against American great James Toney and claimed the full title two bouts later by knocking out Santander Silgado in four.

Five defences culminated in an emphatic two-round unification win over IBF champion Victor Emilio Ramirez in 2016, although he dropped a split decision to compatriot Murat Gassiev at the end of the same year.

Lebedev finishes with a 32-2-1 record, with 23 wins by knockout.

He is arguably best remembered for losses to Guillermo Jones - changed to a no-contest when Jones failed a drug test - and Marco Huck, a controversial split-decision reverse against the long-reigning German.

Related items

  • Will Anthony Joshua find redemption against Andy Ruiz on Saturday? Will Anthony Joshua find redemption against Andy Ruiz on Saturday?
  • Ruiz v Joshua II: Weight gain 'a psychological thing' for champion Ruiz v Joshua II: Weight gain 'a psychological thing' for champion

    Andy Ruiz Jr claimed weighing in 15 pounds heavier for this week's rematch against Anthony Joshua was "a psychological thing".

    Ruiz stunned Joshua in June to hand the Briton his first professional defeat and claim the IBF, WBA and WBO heavyweight titles.

    But rather than come in at the same weight again for Saturday's second fight in Saudi Arabia, the champion has seemingly bulked up.

    Ruiz tipped the scales at 20st 3lbs, 15 pounds more than in the previous bout and over three stone more than opponent Joshua.

    The Mexican acknowledged the time of the day contributed to his weight, yet he later added it was an intentional ploy.

    Ruiz had remained dressed and wore a sombrero, seemingly aiming to contribute to his weight.

    "I was already the same weight as the last fight this morning," he told DAZN. "I had to wait until almost 5pm to get on the scale, so I already had my breakfast, lunch and dinner.

    "I also weighed in with my sombrero and pants on, so that's why I came in so heavy. It was a psychological thing as well."

    Joshua is the lightest he has ever been for a world-title fight, and Ruiz added: "It could be good or not. We don't know if he's still going to have that same pop in his punches.

    "It could be a disadvantage, which is why I decided to come in a little heavier in this fight. I can move him around, be a little bit stronger and have more pop in my punches."

  • Dillian Whyte in the clear as UKAD drops doping charge Dillian Whyte in the clear as UKAD drops doping charge

    Dillian Whyte has succeeded in a mission to clear his name after UK Anti-Doping (UKAD) dropped a doping charge against the British heavyweight.

    Whyte beat Oscar Rivas on points in July but was later provisionally stripped of his WBC interim title and status as mandatory challenger to champion Deontay Wilder by the sanctioning body.

    That came after it was reported the 31-year-old had tested positive for a banned substance before the bout, in a test administered by UKAD.

    However, Whyte was later added to the undercard for Anthony Joshua's rematch with Andy Ruiz Jr in Saudi Arabia this week, facing Mariusz Wach.

    Ahead of Saturday's fight, UKAD announced the charge against Whyte had been withdrawn and the Briton had been cleared of any wrongdoing.

    Whyte wrote on Twitter: "For those who believed in me, I won't forget you. To those who didn't, I won't forgive you and I know who you are."

    UKAD said a urine sample provided by Whyte on June 20 indicated the presence of two metabolites of a steroid, and the fighter "cooperated fully" with an investigation.

    The anti-doping body added it would not normally reveal details of an investigation but the public reports of Whyte's charge meant it would do so on this occasion.

    UKAD said the levels of the metabolites found in Whyte's sample were "extremely low".

    Tests either side of the sample in question returned negative results, and UKAD was satisfied the June 20 sample "was not caused by any fault, negligence or wrongdoing on Mr Whyte's part".

    It said: "Given the circumstances, [it] could not have affected the fight between Mr Whyte and Mr Rivas on July 20, 2019."

    Whyte provided further evidence that led to the withdrawal of the charge, although he acknowledged in Friday's statement - released jointly by the fighter and the anti-doping agency - that UKAD "acted in accordance with the UK Anti-Doping rules by issuing the initial charge and in the conduct of its investigation".

    The British Boxing Board of Control has been informed of the resolution, the statement said.

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.