UFC

Jamaica-born UFC fighter Hall dedicates win to mentally ill sister

By Sports Desk December 30, 2018

Jamaica-born UFC veteran Uriah Hall dedicated a devastating knockout win over Bevon Lewis, at UFC 232 in Los Angeles on Saturday night, to his ill sister.

The 34-year-old Hall, who was born in the Jamaican city of Spanish Town, was visibly emotional after delivering a savage right-hand counter shot that put Bevon down in the third round.

 The shot left his challenger crumpled in a heap on the ground and Hall with head cup in hands as he retreated to the corner to celebrate.  The win was the first for Hall (14-9) in his last five attempts but he later explained that it was not the cause for his emotional display.

To be honest I wasn’t fighting for me tonight. I’m actually fighting for my sister. She’s battling depression and this has been a really rough time for her,” Hail said after the fight.

“She’s such an incredible human being and I know depression is something that’s going on in the world right now. I just want to let you know I love you and this world will not be the same without you. And Mikita, you’re one of the best to do what you do. I’ve failed so many times on the big stage and I know life is hard but the same reason why you said keep standing, I’m going to keep standing up because tonight was about you. I love you so much.”

Related items

  • Coronavirus: I ask Dana White for location everyday – Khabib still ready to fight Ferguson Coronavirus: I ask Dana White for location everyday – Khabib still ready to fight Ferguson

    Khabib Nurmagomedov has not given up hope of facing Tony Ferguson in their blockbuster lightweight title bout, insisting he will "100 per cent" fight if he can travel from Russia.

    Khabib appeared to announce this month's UFC 249 blockbuster had been postponed for the fifth time due to the coronavirus pandemic via social media on Wednesday, with travel restrictions preventing the Russian superstar from entering the United States and Dubai.

    Unbeaten UFC lightweight champion Khabib was due to face American Ferguson on April 18, but the COVID-19 outbreak meant the event could not take place at Barclays Center in Brooklyn, with president Dana White looking for an alternate location.

    However, Khabib (28-0) is eyeing an August date if the upcoming clash is officially called off.

    "June, July, two months, then August I can fight," Khabib told ESPN. "I hear the UFC wants to make a show in San Francisco [in August].

    "If not, let's fight in Abu Dhabi middle of September. Or fight now, before Ramadan. April 18, we're supposed to fight, but where? This is the question."

    Khabib – who dismissed talk of a rematch against Conor McGregor – added: "Every day I train… morning and night. Right now, I'm one of the biggest starts in UFC. I'm undefeated and undisputed lightweight champion. This isn't a regular fight. How can it be 16 days before a fight and I don't know location? This isn't professional.

    "If I can come out from Russia, I'm going to fight 100 per cent. Just give me location. Everyday I send Dana White a message for location. Too much crazy stuff and questions, and no answer.

    "I understand people are upset because this is a dream fight for fans. This is my dream fight. I lose my money, I lose so much money and things. Nobody lose like I lose."

  • Coronavirus: McGregor accuses Khabib of 'chickening out' of Ferguson fight Coronavirus: McGregor accuses Khabib of 'chickening out' of Ferguson fight

    Conor McGregor has taken a swipe at old foe Khabib Nurmagomedov, accusing him of "chickening out" of his lightweight title showdown with Tony Ferguson.

    For the fifth time, a mouth-watering bout between Khabib and Ferguson was cancelled with the former stating he was unable to travel due to the coronavirus pandemic.

    Ferguson responded with a foul-mouthed tirade against both Khabib and McGregor, who said the two were always involved in a game of chicken ahead of the proposed UFC 249 bout in Brooklyn.

    McGregor feels Ferguson won the game of wits against Khabib and insists he is himself in fighting shape.

    "I am in shape to fight right now!" McGregor posted on Twitter. 

    "At the beginning of all this, I said to myself – I'm happy I don't have an official fight booked. 

    "If I did, I would have consumed all the incorrect data to support me taking part in the bout, and I would have followed through, competed. And won.

    "The fact of this matter is, both Tony and Khabib where [sic] engaged in a game of chicken here towards the fight bell. 

    "With Khabib chickening out first. Making it 3-2 in pullouts in Tony's favour. Khab scurried out of the U.S. to home, and amid the crisis. Very high risk.

    "Congrats Tony."

    Khabib made McGregor submit in the main event of UFC 229 in October 2018, with the two camps involved in an ugly post-fight brawl.

  • Khabib Nurmagomedov v Tony Ferguson: The five times UFC's 'cursed' fight was cancelled Khabib Nurmagomedov v Tony Ferguson: The five times UFC's 'cursed' fight was cancelled

    Khabib Nurmagomedov versus Tony Ferguson is the fight every UFC fan wants to see but frustratingly the MMA gods have conspired to once again keep us waiting on a dream bout.

    The bad-luck story for this match-up has led to several people labelling it 'cursed', and with the latest attempt to get these two together in the Octagon cancelled due to the coronavirus pandemic even those most sceptical of such superstitions may be wondering if it is.

    Lightweight champion Khabib was slated to put his belt on the line against Ferguson at UFC 249 in Brooklyn on April 18, only to pull out due to travel restrictions caused by the spread of COVID-19.

    Below we have taken a look at each of the times this fight was cancelled.


    OCTOBER 2015: RIB INJURY RULES OUT KHABIB

    This story dates back almost five years. In August 2015, UFC booked two of its brightest lightweights to get it on at the finale of the 22nd season of 'The Ultimate Fighter' in December. However, two months before the fight, Khabib – who had worked his way back from two serious knee injuries – suffered a broken rib that left him pondering if he would fight again.


    APRIL 2016: FERGUSON SUFFERS LUNG ISSUE

    So, take two then. At the start of the following year, Khabib-Ferguson was made part of the UFC on Fox card set for April 16. Just 11 days before that date, it was Ferguson's turn to be struck by injury woe as a lung issue prevented him from getting in the Octagon.


    MARCH 2017: KHABIB HOSPITALISED BEFORE UFC 209

    Making a third bout between the two was hit by a little snag, namely Ferguson holding out for more money. Eventually, it was made the co-main event of UFC 209 for the interim lightweight title with full champion Conor McGregor on an MMA hiatus to prepare for his boxing bout with Floyd Mayweather Jr. Just a day prior to the showdown, Khabib was hospitalised due to "weight-management issues". A fuming Dana White accused Khabib's team of going "rogue".


    APRIL 2018: SURELY NOT AGAIN?!

    For the fourth time, UFC announced Khabib versus Ferguson for the main event of UFC 223. This time surely the fight was going to happen?! Alas, no. Ferguson required surgery on his lateral collateral ligament and once again MMA fans were starved of the fight.


    APRIL 2020: CORONAVIRUS TRAVEL RESTRICTIONS GROUND KHABIB

    This long tale of woe endured its latest chapter of bad luck thanks to the coronavirus pandemic. Despite protestations the fight would go on, even in the likely absence of fans, it was becoming increasingly unlikely. It came as little surprise when Khabib pulled out, stating he was unable to travel. Ferguson may still have an opponent with Jorge Masvidal, Dustin Poirier and Justin Gaethje having all been suggested as stand-ins … but for now the fight we all want to see remains frustratingly on the backburner.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.