While pandemic rages Yohan Blake works on fitness, playing backyard cricket

By April 10, 2020

Yohan Blake, the 2012 double Olympic silver medallist, has been making the most of the downtime brought on by the Coronavirus pandemic. The 30-year-old sprinter has been spending a lot of his time in training and playing a bit of back-yard cricket.

Like most of the world’s athletes who were preparing for the 2020 Tokyo Olympics, Blake has been forced into staying home as the countries across the globe attempt to “flatten the curve” on the pandemic that has infected more than 1.5 million persons. More than 102,000 persons have died so far.

However, for Blake who has not won an Olympic medal since his double silver in 2012, the work goes on.

“We are doing some aerobatic fitness work, making sure that we are fit. We all are at a halt now yes, but we have to stay mentally strong,” Blake told Sportstar magazine in India. “The training programme has changed. We are working three times a week now to keep the body in the right shape.

“With the Olympics put off, it is sad, but we can still have a shot at it next year and also, this will help an athlete to be more ready.”

When he isn’t keeping fit, Blake revealed that he spends some time engaging in his favourite pastime, cricket, in his backyard.

“You need to keep yourself motivated, and also watch videos, spend time with the loved ones. That’s all we can do for now,” Blake said.

Leighton Levy

Leighton Levy is a journalist with 28 years’ experience covering crime, entertainment, and sports. He joined the staff at SportsMax.TV as a content editor two years ago and is enjoying the experience of developing sports content and new ideas. At SportsMax.tv he is pursuing his true passion - sports.

Related items

  • Kawhi Leonard 'healthy' and now at Disney World, confirms Rivers Kawhi Leonard 'healthy' and now at Disney World, confirms Rivers

    Los Angeles Clippers star Kawhi Leonard is "healthy" and has arrived at Disney World for the NBA season restart, coach Doc Rivers has confirmed.

    Leonard did not fly to Orlando with his Clippers team-mates on Wednesday after being excused due to a family matter.

    Speaking on Saturday, Rivers said the All-Star forward was going through the quarantine procedure put in place as part of the protocols to combat the risk of coronavirus.

    "Kawhi, he is here, he is going through the protocol," Rivers said, with Leonard now expected to quarantine for two days.

    ESPN reported on July 2 that the Clippers had to close their team facility following a positive test for COVID-19, but Rivers says all the players in Orlando are fit, including Paul George, who had been recovering from shoulder surgery.

    "I think everybody's healthy, that is a great thing," he said. "Guys were not as healthy in training camp at the beginning of this year.

    "Now we got Paul George healthy, we have Kawhi healthy, we don't have a guy that's injured right now, knock on wood. Hope that continues."

    Rivers also addressed controversy around Missouri senator Josh Hawley, who wrote to NBA commissioner Adam Silver to question why players will be allowed to wear jerseys with social justice messaging rather than slogans "Support our Troops", "Back the Blue" or "free Hong Kong".

    "They always try to turn it into the military or the police," Rivers said. "There's no league that does more for the military than the NBA. But how about that senator? I'll make up a challenge. We will do things for the troops as long as he acknowledges Black Lives Matter. I think that would be really cool for him to do.

    "It's funny, whenever we talk about justice, people try to change the message. Colin Kaepernick kneels, it had nothing to do with the troops. It had to do with social injustice. And everyone tries to change the narrative. How about staying on what we're talking about and dealing with that instead of trying to trick us or change or trick your constituents? How about being real?

    "I guarantee you that we have done more for the military than probably that senator. And I guarantee you this, we are going to do things for Black Lives Matter, how about him? Maybe he should join into that."

  • Retired Bolt still frets over world records Retired Bolt still frets over world records

    Retired Jamaican sprint king, Usain Bolt, must have had a nervous moment, or two, when American Noah Lyes was recorded crossing the line in 18.90, in a 200m sprint, during the socially distanced Inspiration Games earlier this week.

    It turns out, however, in a massive error, that the athlete had only run 185 metres after starting from the wrong spot.  The novel competition saw 28 athletes split into three teams, taking part in eight events, at seven different venues. 

    Competitors were connected by a live video and timing link with a split-screen.  Lyles represented Team North America, and convincingly beat Team Europe's Christophe Lemaitre, in Zurich, and Team World's Churandy Martina, in Papendal.  The organisers at the Bradenton, Florida track while Lyles ran, however, didn’t get things quite right and he was later disqualified.

    In a recent interview with Variety, Bolt, who will be featured in the upcoming Greatness Code Apple series, admitted that these days he was more focused on being a good dad.  He, however, still enjoys watching track and field but stays clear of any thoughts of picking his successor.  Bolt previously picked compatriot Yohan Blake and South African Wayde Van Niekerk to replace him as the new king of sprinting.  While Blake is yet to recover the type of form that saw him crowned the world’s second-fastest man, van Niekerk broke the 400m world record but then suffered a serious injury.

    “For me, I’m just watching.  I think I tend to have bad luck in picking people.  When I say I like this person at times it doesn’t work out,” Bolt said.

    Bolt's records of 9.58, over 100m, and 19.19, in the 200m, are now 11 years old.

  • Coronavirus:  Former NL MVP Posey opts out of 2020 MLB season Coronavirus:  Former NL MVP Posey opts out of 2020 MLB season

    San Francisco Giants star catcher Buster Posey will not play in the upcoming MLB season, he announced on Friday.

    Posey, the 2012 National League MVP, is the latest high-profile player to opt out of a campaign that has been shortened by the coronavirus pandemic.

    The 33-year-old told reporters on a conference call he and his wife have adopted twin girls that were born prematurely and are still hospitalised, making him uncomfortable taking any additional health risks that could come about from travelling and playing games.

    The six-time All-Star had missed three recent team workouts for what the Giants said were personal reasons. 

    "I just feel like in the current state we are now, and these babies being as fragile as they are for the next four months at minimum, this ultimately was not a difficult decision for me," Posey said.  

    A team statement said: "The Giants fully supports Buster's decision. Buster is an integral part of our team and will be sorely missed, but we look forward to having him back in 2021." 

    Posey will forfeit around $8million of his prorated salary by choosing not to play. He is under contract in 2021 with the Giants holding a $22m club option for 2022. 

    He joins Los Angeles Dodgers pitcher David Price, Colorado Rockies outfielder Ian Desmond, outfielder Nick Markakis and pitcher Felix Hernandez of the Atlanta Braves, infielder Ryan Zimmerman and pitcher Joe Ross of the Washington Nationals, and Arizona Diamondbacks pitcher Mike Leake as notable players who have chosen to opt out. 

    Posey is coming off the worst offensive season of his 11-year career, batting .257 with seven home runs and 38 RBIs in 114 games, but is the only catcher on the Giants' 40-man roster with extensive major league experience.

    San Francisco do have a top prospect at the position in Joey Bart, but the 23-year-old has never played above Double-A. 

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.