Coronavirus: IOC facing costs of up to $800m following Tokyo Games postponement

By Sports Desk May 14, 2020

The International Olympic Committee (IOC) anticipates incurring costs of up to $800million over the postponement of the 2020 Tokyo Games.

It was confirmed in March the Games would be put back to July 2021 due to the coronavirus pandemic.

The IOC executive board on Thursday approved a financial plan to deal with the crisis months before the Olympics were due to start.

A mammoth sum of up to $650m will be set aside for the IOC to cover the cost of organising the rescheduled Games.

An aid package of up to $150m for the Olympic movement - including international federations, national Olympic committees and IOC-recognised organisations - has also been approved.

The IOC stated it is "undergoing a deep analysis process to evaluate and assess the impact of the COVID-19 crisis on all of its operations".

IOC president Thomas Bach said: "The Olympic movement is facing an unprecedented challenge.

"The IOC has to organise postponed Olympic Games for the first time ever, and has to help its stakeholders come through this global crisis.

"This new situation will need all our solidarity, creativity, determination and flexibility. We shall all need to make sacrifices and compromises. Extraordinary circumstances call for extraordinary measures.

"This situation requires every one of us to do our part, and this applies to all of us, including the IOC. With today's financial plans, we are addressing these needs."

Related items

  • Cespedes opts out of MLB season due to coronavirus-related concerns Cespedes opts out of MLB season due to coronavirus-related concerns

    New York Mets outfielder Yoenis Cespedes has decided to play no further part in the 2020 MLB season due to coronavirus-related concerns. 

    The Mets revealed they had not been able to contact the outfielder after he did not turn up for a 4-0 loss to the Atlanta Braves on Sunday. 

    Cespedes was due to be at Truist Park despite not being named in the line-up. 

    Mets general manager Brodie Van Wagenen said: "As of game time, Yoenis Cespedes has not reported to the ballpark today. 

    "He did not reach out to management with any explanation for his absence. Our attempts to contact him have been unsuccessful." 

    Van Wagenen later revealed the 34-year-old Cuban's agent had informed the Mets he will not play again in the current campaign, citing the COVID-19 pandemic for the decision. 

    It will bring Cespedes' time with the Mets to an end, as he is set to be an unrestricted free agent when the campaign is over. 

    "We support everybody and every player's right to make this type of decision. This is a challenging time for everyone," Van Wagenen said to the media. 

    "It was surprising, without question. At the same point, we have to go forward and not allow anything to keep us from going forward." 

    Two-time All Star Cespedes has been beset by injury problems but was on the Mets' Opening-Day roster following two years on the sidelines. 

    He hit the winning home run against the Braves in a dream return and has featured in eight of the Mets' first nine games.

  • IPL announces start date, venues for 2020 season in UAE IPL announces start date, venues for 2020 season in UAE

    The delayed 2020 Indian Premier League season will begin on September 19, pending government clearance, with games to be staged in Dubai, Sharjah and Abu Dhabi. 

    This year's edition of the Twenty20 tournament was originally due to start in March, only to be postponed indefinitely amid the coronavirus pandemic. 

    With COVID-19 cases continuing to rise in the country, the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) had already revealed plans to stage the entire competition in the United Arab Emirates later in the year. 

    Following a video conference between members of the IPL's governing council on Sunday, a statement signed by BCCI secretary Jay Shah announced further details regarding the 53-day event, including venues, updated regulations and key dates. 

    The final is due to be played on November 10 and there will be 10 double-headers during the round-robin stage, though a full fixture list is yet to be released.

    The UAE has staged the IPL previously, co-hosting the 2014 season due to a clash with India's general election.

    "The governing council also discussed the comprehensive standard operating procedures (SOPs), which will be finalised and published in due course, including the agencies to execute and deliver a bio-secure environment for safe and successful conduct of IPL 2020 Season," the statement read. 

    "The governing council also reviewed the player regulations for replacement players for 2020 season."

    The IPL governing council plans to hold a meeting with all franchises in the near future, while the proposals must be ratified by the Indian government. 

    the Women's T20 Challenge will also take place in the UAE, with three teams playing four matches during the same week as the IPL play-offs. 

  • Coronavirus: Brewers star Cain opts out of MLB season Coronavirus: Brewers star Cain opts out of MLB season

    Milwaukee Brewers star Lorenzo Cain will sit out the remainder of the MLB season due to coronavirus concerns.

    Cain – a World Series champion in 2015 – made the announcement on Saturday after the Brewers' scheduled series against the St Louis Cardinals was postponed due to COVID-19 cases within the latter's organisation.

    The two-time All-Star, who is also an American League Championship Series MVP and Gold Glove winner, was six for 18 with two RBIs in his first five games this season.

    "With all of the uncertainty and unknowns surrounding our game at this time, I feel that this is the best decision for me, my wife, and our three kids," Cain said in a statement released by the Brewers on Saturday.

    "The Brewers organisation was very understanding and supportive of my decision, and I thank them for that.

    "I wish all of my great team-mates the best of luck this season and look forward to getting back on the field in 2021. Please stay safe."

    Brewers general manager David Stearns added: "He felt this was something that he needed to do. We completely respect the decision and support the decision. This is something that Lorenzo had been thinking about and discussing with his family for some time.

    "This is the first he had brought it to our attention, but as we understood the decision and understood the decision-making process, it's something that's been on his mind and ultimately he believes this is the right thing for him to do and we understand that."

    The MLB season, which has already been reduced to a 60-game regular campaign, has come under threat following the Miami Marlins outbreak.

    At least 20 members of Miami's travelling party have tested positive for coronavirus, with the Marlins and the Philadelphia Phillies yet to play since Opening Day.

    "I think it's fair that the events of the past week I'm sure played a part [in Cain's decision]," Stearns said. "He did not specifically mention the Cardinals or the Marlins, for that matter.

    "I think this was just something that he had been considering, thinking about, discussing with his family and ultimately it just got to the point yesterday where he was ready to make his decision."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.