NBA

LeBron James says NFL owes Colin Kaepernick an apology

By Sports Desk June 25, 2020

Los Angeles Lakers superstar LeBron James feels the NFL should apology to former San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick.

Kaepernick has been out of the NFL since the end of the 2016 season, during which the quarterback attracted controversy by kneeling for the United States national anthem in protest against racial injustice and police brutality.

He filed a grievance against the NFL in 2017, accusing owners of colluding to keep him out of a job. Kaepernick settled that grievance in February.

The 32-year-old, who was involved in an NFL workout in November last year, and his message have received renewed attention amid nationwide protests after the death of George Floyd in police custody on May 25.

Three-time NBA champion James was asked about the progress the NFL has made now by coming out in support of Black Lives Matter and pledging $250million to combat systemic racism. 

"As far as the NFL, I'm not in those locker rooms, I'm not with those guys but I do understand that an apology, I have not heard a true, official apology to Colin Kaepernick on what he was going through and what he was trying to tell the NFL and tell the world about why he was kneeling when he was doing that as a San Francisco 49er," James said during a Zoom interview with Bloomberg Businessweek.

"I just see that to still be wrong, and now they are listening some but I think we have not heard that official apology to a man who, basically, sacrificed everything for the better of this world."

Earlier this month, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell encouraged teams to sign Kaepernick.

Asked about Kaepernick and his future, Goodell told ESPN: "Well, listen, if he wants to resume his career in the NFL, then obviously it's gonna take a team to make that decision. But I welcome that, support a club making that decision and encourage them to do that.

"If his efforts are not on the field but continuing to work in this space, we welcome him to that table and to help us, guide us, help us make better decisions about the kinds of things that need to be done in the communities.

"We have invited him in before, and we want to make sure that everybody's welcome at that table and trying to help us deal with some very complex, difficult issues that have been around for a long time. But I hope we're at a point now where everybody's committed to making long-term, sustainable change."

Related items

  • Coronavirus: Cardinals owner Bidwill tests positive for COVID-19 Coronavirus: Cardinals owner Bidwill tests positive for COVID-19

    Arizona Cardinals owner Michael Bidwill has been hospitalised after testing positive for COVID-19.

    The team said Bidwill had been traveling recently and was not feeling well this week, with a headache and fever. After testing positive,  Bidwill admitted himself to a hospital in Rhode Island following a recommendation by his doctor.

    The Cardinals said his symptoms have subsided and he is expected to be released this weekend.

    Bidwill has been working remotely since March and the team said he has not had in-person contact with coaches or players.

    The 55-year-old Bidwill has been president of the family-owned team since 2007 after previously serving as vice-president and general counsel. His father and previous team owner, Bill, passed away in October.

  • Coronavirus: Jaguars plan for reduced-capacity crowds at 2020 NFL games Coronavirus: Jaguars plan for reduced-capacity crowds at 2020 NFL games

    The Jacksonville Jaguars have revealed plans that would allow a limited number of fans to attend 2020 home games, filling TIAA Bank Field to around a quarter of its 67,000 capacity.

    The organisation also unveiled new safety protocols for staff and fans, including mandatory use of face coverings amid the coronavirus pandemic.

    The Jaguars said the plan was designed "in compliance with state and local authorities and following CDC social distancing guidelines", a reference to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

    Additional seating could become available if public health authorities approve such a move later in the season, the Jaguars said.

    The club also declared a commitment to provide additional hand sanitising stations, convert all concessions and merchandise sales to a cashless format and provide in-stadium guidelines for social distancing.

    The Jaguars first sent the plan to season ticket holders in an email before releasing details to the public. The season is due to begin on September 10.

    Fans who own season tickets are eligible for full refunds or can apply the payments toward tickets this season or next season. Season ticket holders will have the first opportunity to purchase tickets, and any unsold seats will be available to single-game buyers.

    The Jaguars said they are working with Ticketmaster to develop a seating plan to allow friends and family to attend games together while keeping a minimum of six feet between "unaffiliated parties".

    Jacksonville became the third NFL franchise to unveil a plan for limited seating this season, after the Baltimore Ravens and Kansas City Chiefs.

  • Coronavirus: Brady overcame big hurdle in moving to Tampa amid COVID-19 crisis Coronavirus: Brady overcame big hurdle in moving to Tampa amid COVID-19 crisis

    Tom Brady admitted his move from the New England Patriots to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers has been made more difficult due to the coronavirus pandemic.

    Brady swapped the Patriots for the Buccaneers via NFL free agency following 20 seasons in Foxborough, where he won six Super Bowl championships.

    The transition from New England to Tampa, however, has not been easy for the 42-year-old superstar quarterback amid the COVID-19 crisis.

    "The biggest hurdle I've overcome recently I would say would be a transition of moving my life from one area where it's been for 20 years to a completely different area," Brady told reporters.

    "That's been a big transition getting to know a new community, albeit in some very unique times, but also transitioning my life, getting a lot of my personal life moved to a new place and entering into new professional relationships with people and having to do that over FaceTime or Zoom calls.

    "I think we're all just trying to do the best we can do at this point. It's a unique experience for us all and everyone is trying to make it work the best they can.

    "For me, we're in a unique situation now where we're all home together and I think that's a great thing that I've experienced the last month, being in a house all together and getting to know each other in ways that we could never have if we'd been pulled in different directions.

    "My kids are off at school and my wife's travelling, or I'm travelling, fulfilling different obligations. The reality is my family is very important to me, my career is very important to me and I've had a great time focusing on those two things the last four weeks."

    Professional sports are returning in the United States, where there have been more than 3.2 million confirmed cases of coronavirus and over 135,800 deaths.

    The MLS is Back Tournament started on Wednesday, while the NBA (July 31) and MLB (July 23) seasons are preparing to resume this month after leagues were suspended in March.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.