NBA

Nets' Durant says he will not play if NBA season resumes

By Sports Desk June 05, 2020

Kevin Durant made it clear on Friday that he will not make his Brooklyn Nets debut if the NBA season restarts.

Durant ruptured an Achilles tendon a year ago for the Golden State Warriors in Game 5 of the NBA Finals against the Toronto Raptors.

There was speculation that he could return with the league forced to suspend operations for several months due to the coronavirus pandemic.

However, Durant ruled out returning this season, meaning his Nets debut will have to wait until 2020-21.

Speaking to The Undefeated, Durant said: "I don't plan on playing at all.

"We decided last summer when it first happened that I was just going to wait until the following season. I had no plans of playing at all this season."

The 10-time All-Star announced his decision to sign a four-year, $164million deal with the Nets in June last year.

Durant also had COVID-19 earlier this year.

Related items

  • Nets sign veteran forward Beasley Nets sign veteran forward Beasley

    The Brooklyn Nets signed former number two overall pick Michael Beasley to fill out their depleted roster.

    The team confirmed the signing with a statement on Thursday, calling Beasley a "substitute player".

    Beasley has not played in an NBA game since February of last season but did play in the Chinese Basketball Association for the Guangdong Southern Tigers later in 2019.

    The signing comes one day after the Nets added another veteran, shooting guard Jamal Crawford, as Brooklyn attempt to field a competitive roster for the NBA's 22-team restart in Orlando, Florida, later this month.

    Beasley, 31, and Crawford, 40, have been added as many of the Nets' best players are either recovering from injury or have opted out of the league's restart due to the coronavirus pandemic.

    Center DeAndre Jordan, forward Taurean Prince and guard Spencer Dinwiddie have tested positive for COVID-19 and said they will not be joining the team in Orlando. Forward Wilson Chandler has also opted out, saying, "the health and wellbeing of my family has to come first".

    Kevin Durant has yet to play in a Nets uniform as he continues to recover from a ruptured Achilles tendon, while Kyrie Irving was shut down for the season after undergoing shoulder surgery on March 3.

    With several key players out, center Jarrett Allen and swingmen Caris LeVert and Joe Harris will be the team's focal points when they take the court on July 31.

    The Nets are 30-34 this season and enter the eight-game seeding schedule seventh in the Eastern Conference, one-half game ahead of the Orlando Magic and six games ahead of the equally depleted Washington Wizards.

    Beasley has averaged 12.4 points and 4.7 rebounds in 609 career NBA games.

    After being selected second overall in the 2008 NBA Draft behind Derrick Rose, Beasley has had a journeyman career with the Miami Heat, Minnesota Timberwolves, Phoenix Suns, Houston Rockets, Milwaukee Bucks, New York Knicks and Los Angeles Lakers.

  • Coronavirus: Kawhi Leonard's arrival at Disney World delayed – reports Coronavirus: Kawhi Leonard's arrival at Disney World delayed – reports

    Los Angeles Clippers star Kawhi Leonard reportedly did not travel with his team-mates to Orlando for the NBA's season restart but is expected to arrive in a few days. 

    Leonard was reportedly not on the team flight to the Orlando area in Florida, where the 2019-20 campaign will resume at the Disney World complex after the season was halted in March due to the coronavirus pandemic.

    A two-time NBA Finals MVP, Leonard is believed to have an excused absence from the Clippers as he tends to a family matter. 

    The Clippers are scheduled to spend Thursday and Friday satisfying quarantine requirements and will play their first game on July 30 against rivals the Los Angeles Lakers in the second game of a re-opening doubleheader. 

    Leonard led the Clippers with 26.9 points, 7.3 rebounds and ranked second with 5.0 assists per game when the NBA season was put on hold amid the COVID-19 crisis.

    The Clippers are second in the Western Conference with a 44-20 record, five and a half games behind the Lakers.    

  • Spurs' Patty Mills donating entire salary from restart to BLM organisations Spurs' Patty Mills donating entire salary from restart to BLM organisations

    San Antonio Spurs guard Patty Mills announced on Wednesday he will donate all the money he earns during the NBA restart in Orlando to Black Lives Matter organisations.

    Mills, who is from Australia, becomes the second NBA player in three days to announce he will be donating the remainder of his 2019-20 salary to social justice causes after the Los Angeles Lakers' Dwight Howard pledged approximately $700,000 to Breathe Again on Monday. 

    "I'm proud to say I'm taking every cent earned from these eight games that we're playing, which for me will turn out to be $1,017,818.54, and donating that directly back to the Black Lives Matter Australia, Black Deaths in Custody and to a recent campaign that's called We Got You - dedicated to ending racism in sport in Australia," Mills said in a video posted by the Spurs.

    "I'm playing in Orlando because I don't want to leave any money on the table that could be going directly to Black communities."

    An 11-year veteran, Mills is averaging a career-best 11.7 points and is now the second-leading scorer on San Antonio's roster after LaMarcus Aldridge announced a month ago he will miss the rest of the season following right shoulder surgery. 

    The Spurs had the Western Conference's 12th-best record at 27-36 when the season was halted in mid-March, good enough to be one of 22 teams invited to Orlando to finish the season. They have made the playoffs every year since the 1997-98 season, but sit four games back of the eighth-placed Memphis Grizzlies with eight games scheduled.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.