NBA

Ex-Warriors star Bogut open to NBA return after Kings exit

By Sports Desk June 02, 2020

Former Golden State Warriors star Andrew Bogut said he is open to returning to the NBA as "I've got a little bit of fuel left in the tank" ahead of the Olympic Games.

Bogut is a free agent after opting to quit NBL franchise the Sydney Kings last month amid the coronavirus pandemic.

The 35-year-old Australian – who won an NBA title with the Warriors in 2015 – had been planning to retire following the 2020 Tokyo Olympics, which have been pushed back due to COVID-19.

Bogut returned to the Warriors to play the remainder of the 2018-19 season while contracted to the Kings and the NBA's former number one pick is pondering another stint in the United States.

"I had NBA offers right before the COVID-19 pandemic, where I was potentially going to go back after the NBL season. I was talking to a few teams that wanted me to come over," Bogut, who was selected by the Milwaukee Bucks with the top pick in the 2005 NBA Draft, told SBS Sport.

"Yes [I would consider another NBA stint], especially halfway through the season when the buyout and trade season comes up.

"It saves me having to spend the whole season over there and I can kind of join someone late, like I did with the Warriors last time.

"[I] can try to make a play-off run and then let that phase into the Olympics. I still think I've got a little bit of fuel left in the tank."

Former Bucks, Dallas Mavericks, Cleveland Cavaliers and Los Angeles Lakers centre Bogut returned to Australia with the Kings in 2018.

Bogut was named the NBL's MVP in his first season, while he helped the Kings reach the Grand Final this year, though the Perth Wildcats were crowned champions after the series was cut short due to coronavirus.

"There are just too many unknowns right now. Not just in the basketball community but around the world," Bogut said as he discussed his Kings departure.

"I wasn't going to commit to something half-assed and not know what's in the other end. I thought it was best to hit pause for now and reassess around about the new year, rather than me sitting here with one foot in, one foot out and the club not knowing where I'm at, so they can't act accordingly with recruiting, signing and the salary cap.

"I didn't want to have that pressure of every week having to call and say 'I don't know yet'. I think in fairness to the club, it's the best thing for the Kings to be able to make decisions they need to make without worrying about me at the other end."

Related items

  • LeBron James won't wear social justice message on jersey LeBron James won't wear social justice message on jersey

    Los Angeles Lakers superstar LeBron James said on Saturday he will not wear a social justice message on his jersey during the NBA's season restart in Orlando, Florida.

    Most NBA players have picked a social justice message to wear on the back of their jerseys starting later this month, but James is one of the few that declined to display one.

    "It's no disrespect to the list that was handed out to all the players," James said on a video conference call.

    "I commend anyone that decides to put something on the back of their jersey. It's just something that didn't seriously resonate with my mission, with my goal."

    The NBA and Players Association agreed on several messages for jerseys, including Black Lives Matter, Say Their Names, Vote, I Can't Breathe and Equality. 

    "Everything that I do has a purpose, has a meaning," James said. "I don't need to have something on the back of my jersey for people to understand my mission or know what I'm about and what I'm here to do."

    James and the Lakers begin the season restart in the second game of an opening-night doubleheader against the Clippers on July 30.

    The Lakers lead the Western Conference with a 49-14 record, 5.5 games ahead of the Clippers.

  • Nets sign veteran forward Beasley Nets sign veteran forward Beasley

    The Brooklyn Nets signed former number two overall pick Michael Beasley to fill out their depleted roster.

    The team confirmed the signing with a statement on Thursday, calling Beasley a "substitute player".

    Beasley has not played in an NBA game since February of last season but did play in the Chinese Basketball Association for the Guangdong Southern Tigers later in 2019.

    The signing comes one day after the Nets added another veteran, shooting guard Jamal Crawford, as Brooklyn attempt to field a competitive roster for the NBA's 22-team restart in Orlando, Florida, later this month.

    Beasley, 31, and Crawford, 40, have been added as many of the Nets' best players are either recovering from injury or have opted out of the league's restart due to the coronavirus pandemic.

    Center DeAndre Jordan, forward Taurean Prince and guard Spencer Dinwiddie have tested positive for COVID-19 and said they will not be joining the team in Orlando. Forward Wilson Chandler has also opted out, saying, "the health and wellbeing of my family has to come first".

    Kevin Durant has yet to play in a Nets uniform as he continues to recover from a ruptured Achilles tendon, while Kyrie Irving was shut down for the season after undergoing shoulder surgery on March 3.

    With several key players out, center Jarrett Allen and swingmen Caris LeVert and Joe Harris will be the team's focal points when they take the court on July 31.

    The Nets are 30-34 this season and enter the eight-game seeding schedule seventh in the Eastern Conference, one-half game ahead of the Orlando Magic and six games ahead of the equally depleted Washington Wizards.

    Beasley has averaged 12.4 points and 4.7 rebounds in 609 career NBA games.

    After being selected second overall in the 2008 NBA Draft behind Derrick Rose, Beasley has had a journeyman career with the Miami Heat, Minnesota Timberwolves, Phoenix Suns, Houston Rockets, Milwaukee Bucks, New York Knicks and Los Angeles Lakers.

  • Langer: Australia must tour England 'for the health of world cricket' Langer: Australia must tour England 'for the health of world cricket'

    Australia coach Justin Langer believes his team must tour England if it is possible in 2020, as international cricket aims to get back on track after the impact of coronavirus.

    After a four-month break, Test cricket resumed on Wednesday with a rain-hit first day of England's behind-closed-doors match against West Indies in Southampton.

    Australia were due to tour England for a white-ball series starting on July 3, with new dates for the rescheduled trip yet to be confirmed.

    With the Twenty20 World Cup still due to be played in Australia in October, Langer believes the tour of England also has to be a priority.

    "I think we have to go to England. There's lots of challenges, of course, but we have to find solutions to make sure that can happen if possible," Langer told reporters.

    "That's my view. I think for the health of world cricket.

    "If things out of control happen and we can't end up going, at least we can say we've done everything in our power to make it happen."

    Langer also claimed Cricket Australia (CA) should be willing to let its star names – such as Steve Smith – play in the Indian Premier League (IPL), with preparation for the T20 World Cup vital.

    "I think we have to, talking frankly," said Langer, who would even let players leave if it meant them missing part of the domestic season in Australia.

    "I'll always look for win-win situations and hopefully we do that when we get some clarity on what's happening with the schedule."

    India will tour Australia later in 2020, with a four-Test series scheduled.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.