NBA

Kerr doesn't approve of Walton's Lakers exit

By Sports Desk April 12, 2019

Golden State Warriors head coach Steve Kerr said the Los Angeles Lakers have lost "one of the best human beings" after Luke Walton's departure.

The Lakers and third-year coach Walton agreed to mutually part ways on Friday following a tumultuous season.

Los Angeles missed the playoffs again despite LeBron James' arrival, while Magic Johnson stepped down as team president on Tuesday.

Kerr addressed Walton's exit on Friday, telling reporters: "I'm disappointed for Luke. In this job, as a coach in the NBA, you are 100 per cent dependent on your circumstances — the strength of your organisation, the momentum, the unity.

"Everything has to be in good order. If it's not, as we have witnessed with the Lakers, then there's going to be casualties and usually the coach is the first one.

"They're losing one of the best human beings in the NBA, they're losing a guy who knows the game as well as anybody I've ever met."

Walton was an assistant on Golden State's staff from 2014 to 2016. He served as the interim head coach of the Warriors, leading them to an NBA record 24-0 start and 39-4 win-loss ratio before Kerr returned from health issues.

The Warriors finished 2015-16 with a 73-9 mark – an NBA record. Kerr was named the NBA's Coach of the Year that season, despite being present for fewer games than Walton.

Walton went 98-148 in his three years with the Lakers and said Los Angeles would always be "special" to him and his family in a statement following his release.

The Lakers finished 2018-19 with a 37-45 record, missing the playoffs for the sixth successive season.

Related items

  • The Golden State Warriors make their  fifth straight NBA finals, are they better than Jordan's Bulls? The Golden State Warriors make their fifth straight NBA finals, are they better than Jordan's Bulls?
  • Durant '100 per cent undecided' about future, says manager Durant '100 per cent undecided' about future, says manager

    Golden State Warriors star Kevin Durant is not sure where he will be playing next season, according to his manager.

    The 30-year-old, who is expected to become a free agent this offseason, has widely been linked to the Knicks and one rumour surfaced earlier this week that said he already had a handshake deal in place with New York.

    But, Durant's manager, Rich Kleiman, said on Tuesday that was not the case.

    "That is 100 per cent undecided," Kleiman said at the Wall Street Journal Future of Everything Festival.

    "I'm waiting on Kevin. That's the truth. I think there's a feeling that this thing is like war games and everybody is playing chess years out. But, when somebody gets to the level of basketball that he's at, you can't juggle focus like that. There's so many things he's juggling. He's not scripting his future while he's playing the way he plays and practices the way he practices.

    "I think it's frustrating, honestly, at times. But, I get it. I do get it … He really doesn't know and I really don't know."

    Durant has not played since straining his calf in Golden State's Game 5 win over the Rockets in the second round.

    The Warriors went on to close out Houston in six games before sweeping the Portland Trail Blazers in the Western Conference Finals.

    "His health is good," Kleiman said. "When you have an injury that's real, and it's a real injury, for him, he's got to be Kevin Durant. He has about the highest pain threshold of someone I know, so, when he misses time, it's because the injury is real. It's a real injury and I hope we can see him next week, or two weeks from now."

    The 10-time All-Star has won a pair of NBA titles, along with two Finals MVP awards, since he joined Golden State before 2016-17. He averaged 26 points and 6.4 rebounds for Golden State this season.

    Golden State will play the winner of the series between the Bucks and Toronto Raptors for the championship. Milwaukee hold a 2-1 lead in that matchup heading into Game 4 on Tuesday.

  • Beilein explains decision to leave Michigan for Cavaliers Beilein explains decision to leave Michigan for Cavaliers

    John Beilein believes he has a great opportunity with the Cleveland Cavaliers.

    Beilein explained his decision to leave Michigan after 12 seasons to become the next coach of Cleveland at his introductory news conference on Tuesday.

    "I left the greatest university in the world, a place that was special to [wife] Kathleen and I and our entire family to come to some place I think was equally as special," Beilein told reporters.

    "I see a lot of the potential and the high, high ceiling with the Cavs organisation that I saw at the University of Michigan.

    "I love the young roster. I love the draft picks and the potential we have for flexibility now and in the future. I texted Kathleen as we were interviewing a potential candidates at the combine and I just texted her, 'I love this'. I love being a part of this."

    Beilein led the Wolverines to the NCAA Tournament nine times and reached the championship game twice during his time at the school.

    But, he will take over a Cavaliers team that had much less success last season.

    Cleveland were one of the worst teams in the NBA in 2018-19 and finished with a 19-63 record.

    "Every single time that we've decided to do this, some people would say with every job, and probably with this one, 'What are you crazy? Why are you doing that?' And I say exactly that, opportunity and challenges go hand in hand," Beilein said.

    "So, when we can be in these situations, it's so gratifying [to] turn a program [around].

    "Rebuild is not a word we're going to use here, I saw it more as a renaissance. Look at all those banners up there. It's been done before. Why can't it be done again?"

    The Cavaliers hold the fifth pick in the 2019 NBA Draft.

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.