Jamaica's sports minister mourns death of former national footballer Luton Shelton

By Sports Desk January 22, 2021

The Minister of Culture, Gender, Entertainment and Sport, the Honourable Olivia Grange, has expressed deep sadness at the passing of the Jamaican footballer Luton Shelton.

The former national striker died today at age 35 after ailing from ALS for more than two years.

“I am really saddened at Luton’s passing. I was hoping he would have made a turn-around although his illness was one that was a great challenge.  I continued to hope and pray for him,” said Minister Grange.

In October 2018, Minister Grange presented Shelton with a cheque for J$5million from the Sports Development Foundation towards his medical care after he was diagnosed with ALS.

“I will surely miss him,” said Minister Grange. “I know the entire sports fraternity will miss him and they are mourning as well.  Let us remember his family in our prayers.”

Shelton who is the only person to score four goals on his international debut for Jamaica in 2004, went on to earn 75 caps while scoring a record 35 goals for his country.

Shelton who is one of Jamaica’s most successful footballers represented Wolmer’s Boys High School before moving on to Harbour View FC and made his mark overseas playing for Sheffield United in England and other clubs in Sweden, Norway, Turkey and Russia.

Minister Grange said it was a difficult week as the nation also lost the football administrator Danny Lyn of Constant Spring fame and former Camperdown High and Harbour View player Andrew Williams.

“In this week we’ve lost three outstanding men who were dedicated to sports and have left indelible marks in football.  Each of these men was a role model who will continue to inspire the next generation of Jamaican achievers,” said Minister Grange.

Related items

  • Newcastle Jets 1-1 Perth Glory: O'Donovan penalty ends hosts' seven-match losing streak Newcastle Jets 1-1 Perth Glory: O'Donovan penalty ends hosts' seven-match losing streak

    Newcastle Jets finally ended their club-record A-League losing streak as a second-half penalty salvaged a 1-1 draw at home to the similarly off-colour Perth Glory.

    Since a five-game unbeaten run finished at the end of February, the Jets have been stuck in a miserable rut of successive defeats.

    They surrendered a one-goal lead in their 2-1 loss to Melbourne Victory last time out and fans would have been forgiven for thinking the writing was on the wall when Joel Chianese scored a lovely goal for Perth just past the hour.

    A gorgeous first-time pass from Bruno Fornaroli using the outside of his right foot released Andy Keogh into the left side of the box and his pass across the face of goal was turned in by Chianese.

    But Roy O'Donovan smashed home from the spot soon after as Kosuke Ota tripped Apostolos Stamatelopoulos.

    That was ultimately enough to seal a point, but the Jets will surely feel they could have snatched victory at the end, with Matthew Millar blazing over from a fairly tight angle deep into stoppage time.

    The draw does neither side much good, with Newcastle staying 11th on 12 points and Perth one place and six points better off.

  • Florentino Perez re-elected Real Madrid president for fifth successive term Florentino Perez re-elected Real Madrid president for fifth successive term

    Florentino Perez has been re-elected as Real Madrid president for a fifth successive term after running unopposed.

    Perez, 74, called on the club's electoral board to set in motion the process of deciding a president and board of directors last week.

    Madrid have not carried out a full election since 2006, when the incumbent Perez lost out to Ramon Calderon, but he resigned three years later.

    Perez returned for a second stint then as the only candidate to stand and has been in place ever since.

    It briefly appeared as though Perez could have a rival in businessman Enrique Riquelme, having suggested an intention to run.

    However, a Madrid statement released on Tuesday confirmed Perez was the only declared candidate and he retains his position.

    "On April 13, 2021 in Madrid, at 00:01 hours, at the headquarters of the Real Madrid Club de Futbol electoral board, the individuals listed at the beginning met to discuss and decide on the matters listed below," the statement read.

    "Given the existing health situation resulting from COVID-19, the president [of the electoral board], Mr. Jose Manuel de Carlos Grau, has decided that the members of the electoral board who so wish may participate telematically.

    "Having presented no more than one candidacy declared by this electoral board and by virtue of article 40, section E, point 2 of the current by-laws of the club, Mr Florentino Perez Rodriguez is declared president of Real Madrid and the board of directors of Real Madrid."

  • Rumour Has It: European giants Real Madrid, PSG and Inter circle for Lingard Rumour Has It: European giants Real Madrid, PSG and Inter circle for Lingard

    Jesse Lingard has been in blistering form during his six-month loan spell at West Ham.

    As a result, speculation is rife over the 28-year-old England international's future.

    Lingard is contracted with parent club Manchester United for one more season.

     

    TOP STORY - EUROPEAN GIANTS CIRCLE FOR LINGARD

    European powerhouse clubs Paris Saint-Germain, Real Madrid and Inter are all interested in Lingard, claims ESPN.

    Lingard has scored eight goals in nine games for the Hammers, who are surprisingly sitting fourth in the Premier League.

    ESPN reports those clubs are monitoring Lingard's situation, with West Ham keen to sign him permanently and the player yet to declare a preference, although it is believed he wants to play  Champions League football.

     

    ROUND-UP

    - Serbia international Sergei Milinkovic-Savic has garnered interest from European giants Manchester United, Real Madrid and Paris Saint-Germain, according to La Gazzetta dello Sport. The midfielder is contracted with Lazio until 2024.

    - Manchester United may have missed out on Borussia Dortmund's Jadon Sancho last off-season but they are set to revive their interest, says the Manchester Evening News.

    - Calciomercato reports that French winger Ousmane Dembele is open to joining Juventus from Barcelona in the next transfer window.

    - Tottenham are making their move to sign off-contract Bayern Munich defender Jerome Boateng, reports Sky Germany.

    - Arsenal have joined the race to sign Celtic forward Odsonne Edouard, alongside Leicester City, according to the Telegraph.

    - Tuttosport says Torino's Italy international forward Andrea Belotti is being courted by Chelsea, Everton, AC Milan and Atletico Madrid.

    - Fiorentina want to hire Gennaro Gattuso from Napoli as their next coach, claims Sky Sport Italia. Gattuso is out of contract at Napoli at the end of the season.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.