Look Loy calls it quits - TTFA executive disappointed by lack of support for court action

By Sports Desk October 17, 2020

Trinidad and Tobago Football Association (TTFA) board member and technical committee chairman Keith Look Loy has announced his retirement from football administration.

Look Loy, a former T&T national youth player has amassed a long and distinguished career in football administration, serving in various capacities.  In the past several months, however, he has been at the centre of the battle as part of a William Wallace-led association that was replaced with a normalisation committee by FIFA.  

The association, officially registered as the United TTFA, recently scored a victory as the Trinidad and Tobago High Court ruled the normalisation committee implemented by FIFA was illegal.  The country was, however, suspended for violating the global football body’s statues.  It seems the contentious battle has taken its toll.

“Now that the central issue of the legality of Fifa’s actions has been adjudicated, it is time for TTFA’s membership to decide the immediate political direction of the Association,” Look Loy said in a release post in full on Wired868.

“For my part, I have run my race—not only in this matter but in football as a whole. In the aftermath of the seven-month battle between United TTFA and Fifa, with conflicting emotions. I resign the positions of TTSL president, TTFA Board member, and TTFA technical committee chairman. These resignations are effective immediately,” he added.

Though supported in some quarters, the action by the TTFA against FIFA and the subsequent suspension was not seen in a favourable light by everyone, including many fans.  President of T&T Keith Rowley called the executive’s victory in court a pyrrhic one and the majority of the TTFA had voted to withdraw the case before the court following an emergency meeting.  Another meeting will be held next week to decide the fate of the association.

 “I was born in 1953 under British colonial rule, which our people historically resisted. I am old enough to remember the raising of ‘the red, white and black’ at the magical midnight on 31 August 1962, under the watchful eye of Dr. Eric Williams,” he added.

“Football has been my lifelong love and labour. I participated in and represented Trinidad and Tobago football, on and off the field, for more than 50 years. Never did I think the day would come when a foreign entity would attempt to seize control of our football. To see many fellow citizens hysterically rationalise, aid, and abet this is unbearable.”

Related items

  • Ibrahimovic has 'shifted the balance more' in Italy than Ronaldo Ibrahimovic has 'shifted the balance more' in Italy than Ronaldo

    Zlatan Ibrahimovic has had a greater impact on Italian football than Cristiano Ronaldo, according to former Milan and Juventus head coach Alberto Zaccheroni. 

    The 39-year-old has made a considerable impact since rejoining Milan in January, scoring 11 goals in 20 appearances in the second half of the 2019-20 campaign.

    He has been in equally impressive form this season despite missing almost a month after contracting COVID-19, taking his tally to four goals in just two games with a double against Inter at the weekend. 

    One of the best strikers of his generation, Ibrahimovic spent two years with Milan earlier in his distinguished career, a stint that included securing the Serie A title in 2011. 

    Ronaldo, meanwhile, has been just as prolific since he joined Juve from Real Madrid in 2018, scoring 68 goals in 91 appearances across all competitions. 

    Zaccheroni, though, is in no doubt which player has had more influence on Serie A. 

    "I have coached great champions in my career, from [Oliver] Bierhoff to [George] Weah up to Adriano but the only regret I have is that I never trained Ibrahimovic," he told Il Giornale.

    "He is eternal and I still don't understand why he never won the Ballon d'Or.

    "In Italy, he has shifted the balance more than Ronaldo. It is no coincidence that many young players have grown exponentially since his arrival.

    "He doesn't just score. He transmits confidence to all his team-mates, carrying the team on his shoulders in difficult moments."

  • 'Shocked' Seales sees New Zealand tour as learning opportunity 'Shocked' Seales sees New Zealand tour as learning opportunity

    Nineteen-year-old Jayden Seales said he was pleasantly surprised when he received word that he had been called to be a reserve player for the West Indies for their upcoming three T20, two-Test tour of New Zealand.

  • Real Madrid 'should never have let Cristiano Ronaldo leave for Juventus' Real Madrid 'should never have let Cristiano Ronaldo leave for Juventus'

    Cristiano Ronaldo is a "machine of sacrifice" who should never have been allowed to leave Real Madrid, according to Shakhtar Donetsk head coach Luis Castro.

    The six-time Ballon d'Or winner scored a club-record 450 goals for Madrid and won five trophies during his nine years in the Spanish capital.

    He left for Juventus in a mega-money deal in July 2018 and has maintained his impressive form with 68 goals in all competitions, helping his side to successive Serie A titles.

    That includes a return of a combined 69 goals and assists in the Italian top flight since the start of 2018-19 – two more than next best Ciro Immobile at Lazio.

    Ahead of Shakhtar's Champions League Group B opener with Madrid on Wednesday, Castro has questioned the LaLiga giants' decision to let the superstar forward depart.

    "When you have Cristiano on your team you should never let him go. Never," he told Marca.  

    "We are talking about the best, the most effective footballer in the world, a machine, a machine of sacrifice."

    Ronaldo was crowned the world's best player five times at Madrid and once during his spell with Manchester United, where he spent six seasons after joining from Sporting CP. 

    And Castro argued the Portugal international has done enough throughout his career to rightly be considered the greatest player to have ever played the game.

    "I do not like to compare. But yes, for me he is the best," Castro said. "Cristiano has a story behind him that is exemplary. 

    "He moved at just 11 years of age to Lisbon to be a footballer, leaving his home. Cristiano is someone that has risen alone, with a unique determination.

    "For me he is an example for all children. People criticise Ronaldo too much. 'What if he does this, what if he spends so much money on this or the other?'.

    "Yet he responds on the field every game, being aware of where he comes from. 

    "The day they make a Cristiano movie and people see where he really comes from, how he became a footballer, he will be valued much more."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.