MLS

Katai leaves Galaxy following 'racial and violent' posts made by his wife

By Sports Desk June 05, 2020

Aleksandar Katai has left LA Galaxy by mutual consent following "racial and violent social media posts" made by his wife.

The Galaxy on Wednesday strongly condemned Tea Katai for her posts about Black Lives Matter protestors, who took to the streets in the United States and far beyond following the death of George Floyd while in police custody in Minneapolis last week.

Serbia midfielder Katai's wife was asked to remove the Instagram posts immediately by the MLS franchise.

Katai, who only joined the Galaxy at the end of last year, stated that his wife's "unacceptable" posts would not be tolerated by his family.

The 29-year-old added that he took full responsibility for his wife's actions and was sorry for the pain caused to the "Galaxy family and all the allies in the fight against racism."

Katai will be in the market for a new club, though, as the Galaxy confirmed his departure in a brief one-line statement released on Friday.

Related items

  • Messi to Inter? Nerazzurri capable of signing Barcelona star, says ex-president Moratti Messi to Inter? Nerazzurri capable of signing Barcelona star, says ex-president Moratti

    Inter owners Suning have the resources to sign Lionel Messi from Barcelona, according to the Italian club's former president Massimo Moratti.

    Barca superstar Messi has been linked with a shock switch to Inter once his contract expires in 2021 after reportedly growing unhappy at Camp Nou.

    That speculation only intensified last month when a picture of the six-time Ballon d'Or winner was projected by the Suning Group onto the Duomo di Milano.

    And Moratti, who brought Ronaldo to Inter and also tried to sign Messi, is confident the Serie A giants will land the Argentina international if they really want him.

    "I'm just a fan and I don't have any confidential news," he told Quotidiano Sportivo.

    "But I know one thing. When it comes to resources and competence, Suning has what it takes to bring Messi to Milan."

    Inter already have a prolific attacker leading their line in the form of Romelu Lukaku, who has scored 31 goals in his first season since joining from Manchester United.

    Moratti suggested at the start of the season Mauro Icardi would be a better option than Lukaku, but he has admitted to being proved wrong by Lukaku.

    "I got it wrong on Lukaku," he said. "In all honesty, I thought he was just physically strong and feared we would regret losing Icardi.

    "Instead, Romelu is a champion, always helps his team-mates and has good vision of the play.

    "Antonio Conte was right to demand his signing and then did so well to improve him."

  • England Women announce Wiegman as Neville's replacement England Women announce Wiegman as Neville's replacement

    Sarina Wiegman will succeed Phil Neville as England Women's head coach from September next year. 

    The Netherlands boss will replace the former Manchester United defender on a four-year deal.

    Neville's contract expires in July 2021, with the 43-year-old having been appointed in January 2018.

    Wiegman will remain in charge of her home nation for the delayed Tokyo Olympics in 2021, while it remains to be seen who will oversee the Great Britain team in Japan.

    "England is the cradle of football and I'm very much looking forward to contributing my experience and expertise to this ambitious team," said Wiegman, who guided Netherlands to the Euro 2017 title and last year's World Cup final.

    Football Association chief executive Mark Bullingham said: "Sarina was the outstanding candidate from a very strong field.

    "She is a proven winner and we are confident she can take England to the next level, giving us the best possible opportunity of achieving our ambition to win a major tournament."

    The 50-year-old's first opportunity to deliver on that will be at the postponed Women's Euros, now scheduled for July 2022.

  • FC Dallas condemn death threats and racist comments sent to Reggie Cannon FC Dallas condemn death threats and racist comments sent to Reggie Cannon

    FC Dallas have strongly condemned "repulsive and unacceptable" racist comments and death threats Reggie Cannon has been subjected to this week. 

    Dallas defender Cannon criticised supporters who booed players for kneeling during the national anthem before his side returned to MLS action against Nashville on Wednesday.  

    Some fans were allowed into the game, which started after the teams showed their support of the Black Lives Matter movement. 

    Sportsmen and women have taken a knee worldwide since NFL quarterback Colin Kaepernick became the first to do so in the 2016 season, protesting against police brutality and racial inequality. 

    But jeers were heard among supporters as Dallas, Nashville and the officials took a knee, with a water bottle also appearing to be thrown on the field in response. 

    Dallas chairman Clark Hunt and president Dan Hunt says the abuse United States international Cannon has come in for will not be tolerated. 

    "We want to be clear: We love and support Reggie Cannon. The racist comments and death threats he has received are repulsive and unacceptable," a statement from the duo said. 

    "There is no place in our sport, or in our country for that matter, for the kind of horrific vitriol Reggie has had to endure today. Hateful or violent threats are never warranted – especially when they are directed toward a member of our FC Dallas family. 

    "We will continue to work together – with our players, our coaches and our fans – against racism and in the cause of equality for all." 

    Full-back Cannon said after a 1-0 defeat for Dallas: "I think it was disgusting. I think it was absolutely disgusting.

    "You've got fans booing you for people taking a stand for what they believe in, and millions of other people support this cause.

    "We discussed with every other team and the league what we were going to do, and we've got fans booing us in our own stadium. How disgraceful is that?

    "For a lack of a better word, it p***** me off."

    Cannon said the players had asked for the anthem not to be played before the match but "they ignored our wishes".

    "We were going to kneel regardless if the anthem was played or not," he explained. "Unfortunately, it was played during the time when we asked for the anthem not to be played."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.