MLS

Lletget 'wanted to walk off the pitch' while playing with Ibrahimovic at LA Galaxy

By Sports Desk March 06, 2020

LA Galaxy midfielder Sebastian Lletget claims he felt like walking off the pitch when he was a team-mate of Zlatan Ibrahimovic, adding there is "definitely a better feel around the place" since the striker's exit.

Ibrahimovic scored 53 goals in 58 MLS appearances in two seasons in Los Angeles, winning the club's prizes for most goals, best goal and best player in each campaign.

The veteran striker was also twice in the MLS Best XI and All-Star line-ups and was awarded newcomer of the year following his arrival after leaving Manchester United.

Now with Milan, the 38-year-old's undoubtedly impressive goalscoring record was not enough to deliver silverware to the Galaxy, as they failed to reach the playoffs in 2018 and lost to rivals Los Angeles FC in the semi-finals last year.

Lletget certainly feels happier without Ibrahimovic in the team, insisting the former Paris Saint-Germain star made life "super frustrating".

"There's definitely a better feel around the place, for sure," Lletget said on BSI: The Podcast. "As far as chemistry, that's only going to build with time."

Lletget claimed that, in the club's dining area, "No one sits with him [Ibrahimovic], ever" and added of playing alongside him: "You couldn't be free. It was super frustrating.

"You feel like you want to literally take your boots off and just walk off the field. It's tough to play against him and tougher to play with him."

In a match with LAFC last August, Ibrahimovic was seen pushing Lletget away from a defensive wall as their opponents prepared to take a late free-kick.

"That to me is complete insanity to do that to one of your team-mates — complete insanity," said the United States international.

"It's one of those moments I think he shows his true colours."

Related items

  • Kean is 'completely different' to Balotelli, says Chiellini Kean is 'completely different' to Balotelli, says Chiellini

    Juventus captain Giorgio Chiellini insisted Everton forward Moise Kean was "completely different" to Mario Balotelli.

    Kean left the Serie A champions for Everton last year, with the Premier League side paying £25million (€27.5m) for the Italy forward.

    The 20-year-old had scored just once in 26 appearances for Everton before this season was suspended due to the coronavirus pandemic, and was dropped in November reportedly for a disciplinary breach.

    Kean was also condemned by Everton in April after an apparent breach of lockdown rules.

    Having previously criticised Brescia forward Balotelli, Chiellini said Kean was nothing like the former Inter and Manchester City man.

    "Balotelli only has the shot. There are those who now compare him with Moise Kean, a boy who appears rebellious and unmanageable, but is completely different from Mario," Chiellini wrote in Io, Giorgio.

    "Of course, in Juventus youth he was punished many times, but when he played in the first team he always showed himself very respectful towards the group.

    "Sometimes he does not hear the alarm and arrives late, but they are behaviours that can be changed without difficulty."

    Kean came through the youth system at Juventus, where he scored eight goals in 21 games before his departure.

  • Zlatan is our star and has 'no ego', says Milan team-mate Calhanoglu Zlatan is our star and has 'no ego', says Milan team-mate Calhanoglu

    Zlatan Ibrahimovic has "no ego" and has contributed plenty at Milan, according to team-mate Hakan Calhanoglu.

    Ibrahimovic, 38, returned to Milan in January and had scored four goals in 10 games before the season was suspended due to the coronavirus pandemic.

    The striker is dealing with a calf injury ahead of the Serie A campaign restarting, with his future uncertain.

    But Calhanoglu was full of praise for Ibrahimovic, who won Serie A and the Supercoppa Italiana during his first spell with the club.

    "He is not a new player for Milan. He is a world star and a very experienced player," he told beIN SPORTS.

    "He is our star. He has contributed to us in every respect – with his experience, game ambition, mentality, helping very well out on the field.

    "Everyone on the outside sees ego. I think there is no ego, he is very approachable, very sympathetic, immediately joking, very enjoyable to spend time with him."

    Suspended since March, Serie A is set to restart on June 20.

  • Coronavirus: Atalanta boss Gasperini put people at risk – Valencia 'surprised' by revelation Coronavirus: Atalanta boss Gasperini put people at risk – Valencia 'surprised' by revelation

    Valencia expressed their "surprise" at Gian Piero Gasperini's revelation that he suffered coronavirus symptoms during the Champions League last-16 tie, insisting the Atalanta head coach put people at risk.

    Gasperini revealed over the weekend he was scared while appearing to suffer from COVID-19 as Atalanta defeated Valencia 4-3 behind closed doors in the Champions League on March 10.

    Atalanta advanced to the Champions League quarter-finals 8-4 on aggregate at the Mestalla before the 2019-20 football season was postponed due to the coronavirus pandemic.

    In light of Gasperini's comments, LaLiga outfit Valencia released a statement, which read: "Valencia CF wish to publicly express our surprise at comments made by Atalanta coach Gian Piero Gasperini which appeared in the Italian press this Sunday, stating that, both the day before and the day of the match played on March 10th at Mestalla, the coach of our opposing team in the UEFA Champions League last-16 game was aware of suffering symptoms theoretically compatible with those of coronavirus, without taking preventive measures. Such actions, if this was the case, would have put at risk numerous people during the trip to – and stay in – Valencia.

    "It should be remembered that this game was held behind closed doors amidst strict safety measures, on the order of the Spanish health authorities, to prevent the risk of COVID-19 contagion, precisely due to the presence of persons from an area already publicly classified as 'at risk' at that time."

    LaLiga and Serie A have been suspended since March but the two leagues are preparing to return following the COVID-19 crisis.

    The Seville derby between Sevilla and Real Betis will headline LaLiga's return on June 11 in Spain.

    Italy's Serie A, meanwhile, is scheduled to restart on June 20.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.