Lawrence working overtime to be ready for Anderlecht debut

By Sports Desk February 14, 2020

Jamaica international Kemar Lawrence has insisted he is working hard to be ready when called upon for new Belgian Premier League club Anderlecht.

The 27-year-old defender recently completed a move to the European club from United States MLS team New York Red Bull.  Lawrence made 118 appearances for the New York franchise in five years.  With the move away from the club coming ahead of the start of the new MLS season, the right-back has admitted he is a little short on match fitness.

“The guys are already midway or past midway the season so it’s already business time.  For me right now it’s about getting fit and being ready to play,” Lawrence told members of the media at his unveiling.

Lawrence qualifies to play this weekend against  Mechelen but is not yet sure he is ready to make an appearance.

“As it relates to fitness, I’m coming off a long offseason about 2 months offseason, so match fitness I’m not up to that standard yet but I should be soon.  The guys are pushing each and every day, I am about a week in, so about next week or a week and a half I should be up to 90 minutes match fitness,” Lawrence said.

“So far though the guys are being smart because you know when a player is coming back from offseason you can’t just rush him into a game because that is risking injury.”

 

Related items

  • Hamburg appoint Thioune as head coach after Hecking exit Hamburg appoint Thioune as head coach after Hecking exit

    Hamburg have named Daniel Thioune as their new coach.

    Thioune, who became the first German-born black head coach when he took over at Osnabruck in 2017, joins on a contract until 2022.

    His appointment comes after Hamburg parted ways with Dieter Hecking following their failure to secure a return to the Bundesliga.

    A 5-1 home defeat to Sandhausen on the final day of the season denied Hamburg a place in the promotion play-off and condemned them to a third campaign in the 2. Bundesliga.

    Thioune guided Osnabruck to promotion from the 3. Liga in 2018-19 and then a 13th-placed finish in the second tier as they avoided relegation.

    He said: "For me, the task at hand at HSV will be a great challenge, which I would like to tackle head on with diligence, team work and passion.

    "Everyone knows that HSV wants to be back in the Bundesliga. But to talk about that, doesn't bring us closer to that goal.

    "From my first day onwards, I will work hard with my team to develop all of the players and give the team the best chance to play football successfully."

  • Guardiola 'interfered in medical matters' at Bayern Munich, claims Muller-Wohlfahrt Guardiola 'interfered in medical matters' at Bayern Munich, claims Muller-Wohlfahrt

    Pep Guardiola thought he knew better than Bayern Munich's medical staff during his time with the Bundesliga giants, according to the club's former team doctor Hans-Wilhelm Muller-Wohlfahrt.

    Muller-Wohlfahrt ended his 40-year tenure as Bayern's chief doctor in June, with Hansi Flick's side having wrapped up yet another Bundesliga title.

    The 77-year-old was at the helm of Bayern's medical department during Guardiola's time at the club, with the Spaniard taking over at the Allianz Arena in 2013.

    Guardiola led Bayern to seven major trophies during a three-year spell, before leaving for Manchester City in 2016.

    Muller-Wohlfahrt has revealed he often clashed with the ex-Barcelona boss, though insisted the pair maintain a good relationship.

    "It was just that I couldn't put up with the fact that a young trainer – who was very successful and who is probably one of the really, really big ones – interfered in medical matters and knew everything better than I did,"  Muller-Wohlfahrt told BR24.

    "We met and talked to each other, and then it's over. 

    "We appreciate each other and he appreciates my work above all. He never questioned that."

  • Real Madrid get more penalties because they attack more - Simeone Real Madrid get more penalties because they attack more - Simeone

    Real Madrid get more penalties than other teams because they attack more, according to Atletico Madrid boss Simeone.

    Barcelona defender Gerard Pique and club president Josep Maria Bartomeu have suggested Madrid, who sit four points clear of the Catalan giants at the top of LaLiga, are benefiting from favourable decisions from referees.

    Zinedine Zidane said has was "tired" of hearing such comments after his side beat Athletic Bilbao 1-0 on Sunday, the second straight game they have won courtesy of a Sergio Ramos penalty, which was awarded after a VAR review spotted Dani Garcia's trip on Marcelo.

    Iker Muniain was critical of the officials after the match because Athletic did not receive a spot-kick for Ramos appearing to step on Raul Garcia's foot off the ball or for another incident involving the Madrid captain and Dani Garcia.

    Madrid have been awarded nine penalties in LaLiga this season – only Athletic and Real Mallorca have earned more (10 each) – and Simeone thinks it is natural for a team that plays on the front foot to get such decisions.

    "VAR exposes everything. Before we didn't have the possibility of seeing some things that we now see. The referees are people who can be wrong as well," Simeone told a news conference.

    "It is fairer. If they give you more penalties, it's because you are in the opposition's area more. If they attack more, like Real Madrid, it means you are there longer.

    "In the speed of the game it's difficult to see what happens, but now another referee sees it with calmness on television. People too, from their homes.

    "Then there is a person who decides, which is the VAR. It can hurt you or help you, but now we are all clear on if its offside, if it's a penalty… we are all more exposed."

    Atleti face Celta Vigo on Tuesday and will be without Joao Felix due to an ankle injury.

    Joao Felix has scored eight goals and supplied three assists in 34 appearances in all competitions since joining from Benfica for €126million last year.

    Simeone intends to remain patient with the 20-year-old Portugal international when he is available for action again.

    "Joao is in his first year at Atletico. I am not surprised by anything that is happening to him," said the Atleti boss.

    "He has to be patient and not disengage. The anger he has because of what he wants to show, because of his qualities, sometimes costs him.

    "Few footballers at 20 or 21 are the finished article. He has undoubted talent. He's a humble, respectful boy who gets along with everybody."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.