Portmore United, Tivoli score wins in RSPL

By December 08, 2019

Defending champions Portmore United and Tivoli Gardens scored victories on Sunday during round 16 of the Red Stripe Premier League.

In the game played at the Constant Spring Stadium, goals from Rondee Smith and Corey Burke handed Portmore a 2-0 victory over the struggling Molynes United who was suffering their eighth loss of the season.

Smith put Portmore ahead in the 11th minute and Burke’s 86th-minute strike secured the win for the defending champions who leapfrogged Molynes to go seventh in the league.

Molynes, who have not tasted victory since October 6 when they defeated Mount Pleasant FC, has now fallen to eighth in the 12-league league.

Tivoli, meanwhile, edged Dunbeholden courtesy of Jermaine Johnson’s 52nd-minute penalty at the Royal Lakes Complex in Portmore.

UWI FC and Harbour View FC played to a 1-1 stalemate at Mona.

Jabari Hylton put UWI ahead on the 21st minute only for his goal to be cancelled out by Jevoun Bascoe in minute 56.

Vere United and Arnett Gardens also played to a 1-1 draw at the Wembley Centre of Excellence, after Romone Plummer’s 86th-minute goal cancelled out Vishinul Harris’ 72nd-minute opener.

The action continues on Monday night when Cavalier FC host Humble Lion at Stadium East in Kingston.

Leighton Levy

Leighton Levy is a journalist with 28 years’ experience covering crime, entertainment, and sports. He joined the staff at SportsMax.TV as a content editor two years ago and is enjoying the experience of developing sports content and new ideas. At SportsMax.tv he is pursuing his true passion - sports.

Related items

  • Bartomeu won't resign yet as Barcelona prepare for vote of no confidence on November 1-2 Bartomeu won't resign yet as Barcelona prepare for vote of no confidence on November 1-2

    Barcelona president Josep Maria Bartomeu is not yet stepping down but says there are plans in place for a vote of no confidence to be held on November 1-2.

    A motion against the incumbent president passed the threshold of 16,250 member votes on October 8, forcing the club's board to set a date for the vote to take place.

    Bartomeu and the board met at the Camp Nou offices on Monday and it had been reported the president could resign immediately due to uncertainty around the manner in which the referendum can be held amid the coronavirus pandemic.

    Spain recently declared a new state of emergency due to the increase in new COVID-19 cases across the country, which has recorded more than 1.15million infections.

    Bartomeu says the board are awaiting a decision from Barcelona's regional government to determine whether it will be safe to hold the no-confidence vote at Camp Nou this weekend, with their proposal for an additional delay having been denied.

    "We put adequate mechanisms in place for the vote of no confidence, proposing November 1 and 2 in 13 locations in Catalonia," he told reporters on Monday.

    "Last Thursday, our request to have 15 days to make the vote as universal as possible was not respected. The Generalitat [the government of Catalonia] did not accept to do it on November 15 and 16 in a decentralised way.

    "[On Sunday], the prime minister [Pedro Sanchez] decreed a state of alarm and a curfew, establishing meetings of a maximum of six people, and Catalonia decreed a night-time curfew. We sent a letter to the Generalitat asking how we could guarantee the vote of members of over 65 and how we could guarantee the health of the 300 workers.

    "We know that we live in serious situations that require exceptional measures; they are incompatible with partisan positions. We have decided that we will meet again when we have the answers.

    "Regarding the vote of no confidence, we are waiting for a response from the Generalitat to know if the health situation is maintained so the vote can be held on November 1 and 2.

    "We have always wanted a decentralised vote, in various venues so that as many members as possible vote, so we asked for 15 more days, but last Thursday we were told that it would be November 1 and 2. We don't have time and if the vote is centralised at Camp Nou on November 1 and 2, it will have to be done with an adequate health protocol."

  • TTFA outlines Sunday's resolutions in apologetic letter to Normalization Committee TTFA outlines Sunday's resolutions in apologetic letter to Normalization Committee

    Richard Ferguson, Chairman of Sunday’s Extraordinary General Meeting of the delegates of the Trinidad and Tobago Football Association has written to Robert Hadad of the FIFA-appointed Normalization Committee stating that they will comply with its obligation as a member of FIFA and that they will cease all legal action against the sport’s governing body.

    The move effectively brings to an end the seven-month long dispute between the association and FIFA, who in March 2020, dissolved the TTFA’s administration four months after it was duly elected in November 2019.

    FIFA cited weak financial controls and systems that plagued the heavily indebted association. However, the matter led to a month's long dispute that went before the Court of Arbitration for Sport, the Trinidad and Tobago High Court of Justice and eventually before the Trinidad and Tobago Appeals Court, who ruled in favour of FIFA late last week.

    Today’s letter follows on the heels of resolutions that were overwhelmingly accepted during Sunday’s EGM and from which former TTFA President William Wallace and members of his executive withdrew.

    It states that the TTFA has decided to “comply with its obligation as a member of FIFA, recognizing the legitimacy of the FIFA- appointed Normalization Committee” and to bring its own statutes in line with the FIFA statutes.

    They have also resolved to fully cooperate with the Normalization Committee in the fulfillment of its mandate as stated in FIFA's letter of March 17th, 2020 and critically, that all court matters existing between the TTFA and FIFA shall be immediately brought to a stop."

    Ferguson also stated that the “TTFA must advise that its members have agreed to abide with the conditions of the Normalisation Committee and will co-operate fully to ensure that the mandate of the Committee is realized.”

    He also apologized to Hadad and members of the Normalization Committee, FIFA, CONCACAF and CFU “for any embarrassment and inconvenience caused by TTFA representatives over the last year.”

    “I also hope that a strong positive relationship can be re-established as we move forward for the betterment of football in Trinidad and Tobago.”

     

  • Donald Quarrie slams JAAA's failure to capitalize on Bolt success Donald Quarrie slams JAAA's failure to capitalize on Bolt success

    Olympian Donald Quarrie believes the current administration of the Jamaica Administrative Athletic Association (JAAA) has been stagnant for too long and there is an urgent need for change if Jamaica’s track and field is to avoid falling behind the rest of the world.

    Quarrie, 69, is campaigning to become the next president of the association when votes are cast at the JAAA Annual General Meeting in late November. Incumbent president Dr. Warren Blake has said that he will not seek re-election and General Secretary Garth Gayle is said to be favoured to replace him.

    That has not gone down well with Quarrie, who believes it is time for change.

    “It’s the same people who are going to be in. The same deck of cards, only shuffled a different way,” the six-time Commonwealth champion said, indicating that the current torpidity is proving to be detrimental to Jamaican athletics.

    An indication of the stagnation, Quarrie said, was the JAAA’s inability to capitalize on the success eight-time Olympic champion Usain Bolt, when he was at the peak of his powers.

    “It’s not even about taking advantage, we didn’t know how,” Quarrie declared on Saturday during an interview on Sportsnation Live on Nationwide Radio in Kingston.

    “We didn’t have the personnel to do it.”

    Quarrie revealed that there was a plan was in place to capitalize on the remarkable success Jamaica was experiencing just over a decade ago when athletes like Usain Bolt, Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce, Veronica Campbell-Brown and Yohan Blake, were the best in the world in what was arguably the most dominant period of the country’s track and field history.

    However, that plan died along with then president Howard Aris.

    “I was on the board up to 2011 after Howard passed. At that period there was a move to do so but Howard passed. After that, everything stood still and we never reached out to get the experts who could market the association, experts who could guide us,” the 1976 Olympic champion said.

    “Instead, we were holding to something that had great value but we couldn’t see it and we didn’t capitalize on it. That is why we are in the position we are now.”

    Quarrie said his love and dedication to Jamaica’s athletics is what has motivated him to try and make a difference.

     

     

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.