Offended Reggae Girlz assistant does not want top job without changes

By December 05, 2019
Lorne Donaldson Lorne Donaldson

Assistant coach of Jamaica’s Reggae Girlz, Lorne Donaldson, does not want to step into the vacancy left by the departing Hue Menzies if women’s football in the country is treated the same way it has been.

Menzies indicated that he was quitting the job of head coach of the women’s team on Tuesday evening, saying the Jamaica Football Federation (JFF) had not communicated with him about the future of his contract which expired in August, owed him money in unpaid salaries and reimbursements for personal expenses.

Donaldson, who is also executive director of coaching at Real Colorado Soccer, has had the same issues with the JFF as his head coach with the national team.

“I don't have a lot of interest in doing something that is not working. I mean, I am a professional, I love to do things that work and things that will have honest and capable people with integrity, so we can all work together. And it doesn't seem like this is a good working relationship because nobody wants to listen,” Donaldson told Jamaica newspaper, The Jamaica Observer.

In that interview, Donaldson was very frank, saying the JFF needed to become a more professional organization for the sake of the girls under its charge.

“There has to be full payment of the coaches. We haven't gotten a dime; we did it for five years and signed a small contract, we always say it is not the money, but we want to leave this thing in a better place when somebody else comes in at least there is something there. But this is just poor,” said Donaldson.

“And then we have to look at the ladies having some kind of contract; [even] if it's a game-to-game contract or match appearance fee, there has to be something moving forward,” he said.

Paul-Andre Walker

Paul-Andre is the Managing Editor at SportsMax.tv. He comes to the role with almost 20 years of experience as journalist. That experience includes all facets of media. He began as a sports Journalist in 2001, quickly moving into radio, where he was an editor before becoming a news editor and then an entertainment editor with one of the biggest media houses in the Caribbean.

Related items

  • Fulham 1-0 Middlesbrough: Early Knockaert effort lifts Cottagers Fulham 1-0 Middlesbrough: Early Knockaert effort lifts Cottagers

    Fulham moved to within four points of the Championship's automatic promotion places as Anthony Knockaert's early goal proved enough to see off Middlesbrough 1-0.

    Scott Parker's side were dominant throughout at Craven Cottage, though wasteful finishing – in the absence of the injured Aleksandar Mitrovic – prevented them from adding to the lead, which Knockaert gave them when he tucked home Joe Bryan's sixth-minute cross.

    Josh Onomah and Ivan Cavaleiro spurned great chances shortly after Knockeart's opener, though Boro almost levelled when Hayden Coulson's deflected cross hit the bar.

    Denis Odoi had a goal disallowed for offside with 17 minutes remaining, yet Boro could not make the most of their good fortune as Fulham – at least temporarily – moved above London rivals Brentford into third.

  • Derby County 'vigorously contest' EFL charges of spending breach Derby County 'vigorously contest' EFL charges of spending breach

    Derby County have confirmed they will contest the breach of spending rules they have been charged with by the English Football League (EFL).

    The Championship club are accused of recording excess losses over a three-year period ending June 30, 2018.

    However, Derby insist the charges – which relate to the £80million sale of their stadium Pride Park to the team's owner Mel Morris and the club's amortisation policy on player contracts – are unfounded.

    According to a statement on Derby's official website, the EFL agreed to the sale of Pride Park and have not previously raised an issue over player amortisation.

    "As a matter of law, the EFL is not entitled to bring either of the charges, having previously agreed to all of the arrangements surrounding the stadium sale and never having raised the issue of player amortisation before," the statement read.

    "At all times, the club has acted transparently with the EFL and, in respect of the charges above, had received written approval for all of its submissions in respect of this legislation. No allegation has been raised to the contrary by the EFL. Rather, the EFL now claims that it made a 'mistake'.

    "Had the EFL not given the green light in writing in respect of both charges, the club would have reacted accordingly. The club cannot re-trace the steps of the actions it legitimately took in good faith as a result of EFL approval of both matters.

    "The EFL can choose to correct what they now see as an error in their decisions. However, it cannot punish the club for its own errors. The club shall therefore vigorously contest the charges and the EFL's legal right to bring them."

    An independent disciplinary commission will hear representations from the EFL and Derby.

    Last season, Derby's fellow Championship club Birmingham City were docked nine points following a similar charge from the EFL.

    The Rams – who last year secured the signing of former Manchester United and England captain Wayne Rooney – sit 10 points above the relegation zone.

  • BREAKING NEWS: Young completes switch from Man Utd to Inter BREAKING NEWS: Young completes switch from Man Utd to Inter

    Ashley Young has completed his transfer from Manchester United to Inter for a reported €1.5million (£1.3m).

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.