JFF silence forces Reggae Girlz head coach into calling it quits

By December 04, 2019
Hue Menzies Hue Menzies

Despite numerous successes in recent times, Reggae Girlz head coach, Hue Menzies has decided he can no longer continue in his capacity after a protracted dispute did not seem to be coming to an amicable solution.

According to Menzies, he had been asking the Jamaica Football Federation (JFF) for an update on his future with the team but had not been furnished with an answer since his contract expired in August.

Menzies had also grown impatient with not being reimbursed by the JFF for personal funds he used during the Reggae Girlz successful bid to get to the 2019 World Cup in France.

“I have made my decision, I am not coaching the team anymore,” Menzies said in an interview with Jamaican newspaper, The Gleaner.

It isn’t known just yet what is next for Menzies, but the coach did indicate that he had other opportunities that forced him to make a decision in light of the JFF’s non-communication.

"It is unfortunate because we put so much time and created so much history. It's not just a football job, it's more than football so obviously I am very disappointed in how the federation communicated, well the lack of communication from the federation," said Menzies.

That non-communication, Menzies explained lasted two months, afterwhich, he said he gave the federation a further 24 hours in which to say something.

“I told them I would make a decision in 24 hours and no one has reached out to me,” said Menzies.

Paul-Andre Walker

Paul-Andre is the Managing Editor at SportsMax.tv. He comes to the role with almost 20 years of experience as journalist. That experience includes all facets of media. He began as a sports Journalist in 2001, quickly moving into radio, where he was an editor before becoming a news editor and then an entertainment editor with one of the biggest media houses in the Caribbean.

Related items

  • Briana Williams signs multi-year deal with Nike Briana Williams signs multi-year deal with Nike

    Briana Williams has gone pro!

    The 17-year-old Jamaican, who had an outstanding year in 2019, has signed a multi-year contract with Nike. Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

    Recognized as one of the rising stars in track and field having won the sprint double at the World U20 Championships in Tampere in 2018, Williams was courted by a number of shoe companies with PUMA and Nike being the frontrunners.

    Nike eventually won the right to the signature of the talented teen, whose coach Ato Boldon confirmed the signing to Sportsmax.TV.

    “Briana has had people dedicated to her abilities for many years. Even before me, Coach Tennessee and Coach Damion Thomas, have done right by her,” Boldon said.

    “I was just handed the baton for this leg of the race, but I’ve been around this industry a long time and for a company like Nike, who can back anyone, to put this level of support behind Briana, makes all of the work over the last five years, worth it. She is extremely blessed and fortunate to be where she is at just 17.”

    Williams, who turns 18 in March, said the Nike deal has provided a platform for her to chase her dreams.

    “I’m extremely proud. I have come a long way. This is a big deal for me because I’m young but I’m ready to show the world what I am capable of,” said Williams who now belongs to the group (HSI) that includes indoor 400m WR holder Mike Norman and world champions Christian Coleman and Dalilah Muhammad.

    “I’m glad that Nike gave me this opportunity. It means the world to me as a girl with big dreams.”

    The year 2019 was a big year for Williams. She won the 100m at the NACAC U18 Championships in Mexico and the Pan Am U20 Championships in Costa Rica during the year in which she ran unbeaten at the junior level.

    She also won the Austin Sealy Award at the CARIFTA Games for the second year running after winning three gold medals, duplicating her achievements in 2018. In June, she set a Jamaican junior record of 11.02s in New Mexico.

    Track & Field News, considered the bible of the sport, recognized her stellar year by naming her their High School Athlete of the Year for 2019.

    The prodigious teen suffered a setback during the year when she returned an adverse finding for a banned diuretic found in her urine sample at the Jamaican National Championships in June where she finished third in the 100m behind two-time Olympic champions Elaine Thompson and Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce.

    As such, her time of 10.94s, which would have been a U18 world record and a national junior record for Jamaica, was subsequently struck from the record books.

    Following a hearing before an Independent Anti-Doping Disciplinary Panel in September, Williams was reprimanded but was free to compete. However, due to how late the verdict came, her chances of competing at the 2019 World Championships in Doha were effectively dashed.

  • Fulham 1-0 Middlesbrough: Early Knockaert effort lifts Cottagers Fulham 1-0 Middlesbrough: Early Knockaert effort lifts Cottagers

    Fulham moved to within four points of the Championship's automatic promotion places as Anthony Knockaert's early goal proved enough to see off Middlesbrough 1-0.

    Scott Parker's side were dominant throughout at Craven Cottage, though wasteful finishing – in the absence of the injured Aleksandar Mitrovic – prevented them from adding to the lead, which Knockaert gave them when he tucked home Joe Bryan's sixth-minute cross.

    Josh Onomah and Ivan Cavaleiro spurned great chances shortly after Knockeart's opener, though Boro almost levelled when Hayden Coulson's deflected cross hit the bar.

    Denis Odoi had a goal disallowed for offside with 17 minutes remaining, yet Boro could not make the most of their good fortune as Fulham – at least temporarily – moved above London rivals Brentford into third.

  • Derby County 'vigorously contest' EFL charges of spending breach Derby County 'vigorously contest' EFL charges of spending breach

    Derby County have confirmed they will contest the breach of spending rules they have been charged with by the English Football League (EFL).

    The Championship club are accused of recording excess losses over a three-year period ending June 30, 2018.

    However, Derby insist the charges – which relate to the £80million sale of their stadium Pride Park to the team's owner Mel Morris and the club's amortisation policy on player contracts – are unfounded.

    According to a statement on Derby's official website, the EFL agreed to the sale of Pride Park and have not previously raised an issue over player amortisation.

    "As a matter of law, the EFL is not entitled to bring either of the charges, having previously agreed to all of the arrangements surrounding the stadium sale and never having raised the issue of player amortisation before," the statement read.

    "At all times, the club has acted transparently with the EFL and, in respect of the charges above, had received written approval for all of its submissions in respect of this legislation. No allegation has been raised to the contrary by the EFL. Rather, the EFL now claims that it made a 'mistake'.

    "Had the EFL not given the green light in writing in respect of both charges, the club would have reacted accordingly. The club cannot re-trace the steps of the actions it legitimately took in good faith as a result of EFL approval of both matters.

    "The EFL can choose to correct what they now see as an error in their decisions. However, it cannot punish the club for its own errors. The club shall therefore vigorously contest the charges and the EFL's legal right to bring them."

    An independent disciplinary commission will hear representations from the EFL and Derby.

    Last season, Derby's fellow Championship club Birmingham City were docked nine points following a similar charge from the EFL.

    The Rams – who last year secured the signing of former Manchester United and England captain Wayne Rooney – sit 10 points above the relegation zone.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.