Reggae Boyz lacked effort in lacklustre draw against Guyana

By November 19, 2019
Reggae Boyz lacked effort in lacklustre draw against Guyana concacaf

The management team of the Reggae Boyz have expressed disappointment at the performance against Guyana at the Montego Bay Sports Complex on Monday night.

They feel that complacency might have been a factor but still lamented the lack of a more professional approach.

Playing at home in their final CONCACAF Nations League Group C match, the Reggae Boyz made five changes to the team that defeated Antigua 2-0 at the Sir Vivian Richards Stadium on Friday, November 15. The coaching staff brought in goalkeeper Akeem Chambers, centre-back Ajani Talbot, midfielder Kevaughn Isaacs as well as Javon East and Peter Lee Vassell for Monday night’s encounter.

However, despite playing before their home crowd, the team conceded their first goal of the competition and subsequently dropped their first points in a lacklustre 1-1 draw against their South American rivals.

Emery Welshman put the visitors ahead in virtually at the stroke of half-time to see Guyana leading at the break. However, Javon East, starting his first game for the national team during Group C play, drew Jamaica level five minutes after the resumption.

In search of a winner, the Reggae Boyz eventually substituted East with Shamar Nicholson, but were unable to find the game-winning goal and thus lost their 100 per cent win record having emerged victorious in their previous five group games during which they scored 20 goals while keeping a clean sheet on each occasion.

Jamaica had already been promoted to Group A following their 2-0 victory over Antigua and Barbuda on November 15, and could perhaps explain the underwhelming performance before a disappointed home crowd. However, according to team manager Roy Simpson, this was not the performance the coaches were hoping for.

“We were not satisfied with the effort. If players are given the opportunity they would have to make use of it,” he said. “We didn’t think all the players gave the kind of effort required.”

Simpson revealed that there was a lengthy team meeting afterwards where players were made aware of the dissatisfaction of the coaching staff. They were made aware that each time they get to play they had to bring their ‘A’ games to the pitch.

“What became clear,” Simpson said, “is that we and the players have a lot of work to do. “Next year will not be a year where players get the opportunity.  We never wanted to drop points. We wanted to end with a more credible performance. How the team played was a big disappointment.”

Earlier Monday night, Antigua came from behind twice to defeat Aruba 3-2 in the bottom-of-the-table Group C clash.

The result means Aruba failed to win a point while Antigua finished third in the group with nine points, one behind Guyana, who, as runners' up, qualify for the 2021 Gold Cup qualifiers 

Jamaica topped the group with 16 points.

 

 

  

 

 

 

Leighton Levy

Leighton Levy is a journalist with 28 years’ experience covering crime, entertainment, and sports. He joined the staff at SportsMax.TV as a content editor two years ago and is enjoying the experience of developing sports content and new ideas. At SportsMax.tv he is pursuing his true passion - sports.

Related items

  • Roma handed 3-0 loss for fielding ineligible player Roma handed 3-0 loss for fielding ineligible player

    Roma have been punished with a 3-0 defeat for fielding an ineligible player against Hellas Verona in their Serie A opener on Saturday.

    Lega Serie A announced on Tuesday that Roma used a player over the age of 22 who had not been registered on their 25-man list with the league.

    According to widespread reports, the administrative error relates to Amadou Diawara, who turned 23 in July.

    The game at the Marc'Antonio Bentegodi finished goalless but Roma will return to zero points for the season following their sanction.

    Verona head coach Ivan Juric was fined €5,000 for giving his team instructions from the stands while serving a touchline ban.

  • Atletico Madrid defender Gimenez tests positive for coronavirus Atletico Madrid defender Gimenez tests positive for coronavirus

    Jose Gimenez has tested positive for coronavirus, Atletico Madrid have confirmed.

    The Uruguay defender was the only player from Monday's tests to return a positive result, the club said in a statement on Tuesday.

    Gimenez is now isolating at home, with Atletico confirming LaLiga's protocol has been implemented and the players will complete the next training session individually.

    Head coach Diego Simeone also tested positive for the virus earlier this month and underwent a period of isolation, though he did not display any symptoms.

    Atletico are due to start their new season at home to Granada at the Wanda Metropolitano on Sunday.

    Simeone's men finished third in a disrupted 2019-20 campaign, while they were knocked out of the Champions League at the quarter-finals stage by RB Leipzig.

  • Leyton Orient v Tottenham off: Spurs could get EFL Cup bye after hosts' coronavirus positives Leyton Orient v Tottenham off: Spurs could get EFL Cup bye after hosts' coronavirus positives

    Tottenham could be given a bye to the EFL Cup fourth round after opponents Leyton Orient announced a spate of positive coronavirus tests, leading to Tuesday's clash being called off.

    Orient were set to welcome Jose Mourinho's men to Brisbane Road for a third-round tie, but the League Two club confirmed on Monday that "a number of our first-team squad have tested positive for COVID-19".

    The club's stadium and training ground have been closed until further notice, with reports that up 18 players and staff had been infected.

    Confirmation the game would not go ahead on the scheduled date came just two hours before the intended kick-off time of 1800 (local time).

    "Tonight's Carabao Cup match between Leyton Orient and Tottenham Hotspur is not taking place this evening as scheduled," read an EFL statement.

    "Discussions are ongoing between the relevant stakeholders in regards to the implications of the decision not to play tonight's game and a further update will be provided in due course. 

    "Leyton Orient, the EFL and the relevant authorities are conducting a thorough review of the club’s COVID-19 secure procedures with the view to reopening the stadium and training ground as soon as possible."

    It is a bitter blow for Orient, who were set to earn a windfall from the game being televised, with Ross Embleton's men having beaten Forest Green Rovers and Plymouth Argyle to reach round three.

    The news also dims any prospect of a return to Orient for former loanee Harry Kane, the Spurs and England striker who struck a deal to sponsor the club's home shirts this season.

    The fixture would also have been significant for the fact that Justin Edinburgh played for Spurs and was in charge at Orient when he passed away in June last year following a cardiac arrest.

    Spurs are now afford an added rest ahead of Thursday's Europa League qualifying match against Shkendija in Macedonia.

    Sunday's 5-2 win at Southampton came after Gareth Bale's loan signing was confirmed, providing a much-needed boost to a side who started the season with a 1-0 home loss to Everton.

    The EFL Cup is the last piece of silverware Spurs got their hands on, lifting the trophy back in 2007-08, when Jonathan Woodgate was the unlikely match-winner in a 2-1 victory over Chelsea at Wembley.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.