MLS

Get lost! - Bradley bristles at Vela criticism after historic LAFC win

By Sports Desk October 25, 2019

Bob Bradley took issue with criticism of Carlos Vela after the Los Angeles FC captain led his side to a first victory over rivals LA Galaxy in an instant El Trafico classic.

LAFC cruised to the Supporters' Shield title this year but had not previously beaten Galaxy in five attempts coming into a crunch MLS playoff on Thursday.

That run was ended in a gripping contest, though, as Vela netted twice, getting the better of Zlatan Ibrahimovic - on the scoresheet once - in an encounter that had been billed as a showdown between the league's two leading stars.

ESPN reported both Vela and Ibrahimovic refused to fulfil media duties ahead of the game, which LAFC won 5-3.

And coach Bradley then fumed when a reporter put to him that Vela, a former Arsenal and Real Sociedad star linked with Barcelona, had not previously delivered in big matches.

"Who asked those questions?" Bradley said to ESPN, glaring at the reporter. "Have they been asked this year? Why would we ask that question?

"For this season? Get lost. Get lost."

Vela's brace took his 2019 MLS tally to 36 goals in 32 games after a record-breaking regular season, while Ibrahimovic is now out of contract with Galaxy, having talked up a potential return to Europe.

Part-owner and Hollywood star Will Ferrell was in greater mood than Bradley to celebrate LAFC's success, leading chants alongside defender Walker Zimmerman.

"I think if we could have traded those five games to win this game, we'd do it in a heartbeat," he said. "What a great way to win, finally, in the playoffs, beat the Galaxy."

Ferrell added of the Western Conference final clash with Seattle Sounders: "It's going to be tough. They're playing really well at the right time. See, I know my stuff.

"But this was a huge mountain to get over the top of. We'll just see. It's a quick turnaround - Tuesday, right? I've got to stay limber."

Related items

  • Rumour Has It: PSG won't sell Mbappe, Barca target Neymar could leave Rumour Has It: PSG won't sell Mbappe, Barca target Neymar could leave

    What does the future hold for PSG stars Kylian Mbappe and Neymar?

    Real Madrid have made no secret of their admiration for Mbappe, while Barcelona have tried to re-sign Neymar.

    As PSG prepare for the 2020-21 campaign, the Ligue 1 holders have made some transfer decisions.

     

    TOP STORY – PSG KEEPING MBAPPE, MAKE NEYMAR DECISION

    Paris Saint-Germain will not sell Kylian Mbappe ahead of the 2020-21 season but Neymar's future remains uncertain, according to L'Equipe.

    Mbappe has been tipped to make the move to Real Madrid in the future, however, Ligue 1 champions PSG have no intention of parting with the France international before next season.

    But Neymar – continually linked with a return to Barcelona after leaving in a world-record transfer in 2017 – could leave as PSG look to avoid losing the Brazilian star on a free transfer in 2022.

     

    ROUND-UP

    Chelsea are preparing their first offer for Bayer Leverkusen star Kai Havertz. Journalist Nicolo Schira reports Chelsea will make a £62million (€70m) bid plus add-ons for Havertz amid interest from Madrid, Manchester United, Liverpool, Bayern Munich and Barca. To fund the transfer, Chelsea will look to sell Inter target Emerson Palmieri, Tiemoue Bakayoko and Jorginho, who would like to reunite with Maurizio Sarri at Juventus.

    Luke Shaw could be sacrificed as United look to sign Leicester City's Ben Chilwell, claims the Mirror. United have reportedly leapfrogged Premier League rivals Chelsea and Manchester City in the race for full-back Chilwell.

    - Gazzetta dello Sport says Inter are interested in Chelsea midfielder N'Golo Kante, who has also been linked to Madrid.

    Willian has turned down a move to David Beckham's Inter Miami, reports the Telegraph. Willian's Chelsea contract expires at the end of the season and he has been linked to Liverpool, United, Arsenal and Tottenham.

    - Liverpool defender Dejan Lovren is wanted by Russian champions Zenit, according to the Evening Standard.

    - Calciomercato says Juventus are not the only club eyeing Roma star Nicolo Zaniolo. Jose Mourinho reportedly wants the Italy international at Tottenham, while Madrid and United are also believed to be interested.

    - The Express claims Chelsea are stepping up their pursuit of United goalkeeper and Sheffield United loanee Dean Henderson. Chelsea are ready to ask Manchester United for a price as Kepa Arrizabalaga struggles in London.

  • MLS is Back Tournament: Minnesota rally for thrilling win, Real Salt Lake beat Rapids MLS is Back Tournament: Minnesota rally for thrilling win, Real Salt Lake beat Rapids

    Minnesota United recorded a dramatic win over Sporting Kansas City at the MLS is Back Tournament, while Real Salt Lake also claimed a victory.

    Trailing heading into stoppage time in Florida on Sunday, Minnesota struck twice to claim a 2-1 victory in Group D.

    Sporting took the lead through Khiry Shelton, who beat Minnesota goalkeeper Tyler Miller at his near post after a wonderful turn by Alan Pulido just before half-time.

    Minnesota had a goal ruled out before Sporting goalkeeper Tim Melia was sent off after bringing down Aaron Schoenfeld.

    They capitalised on their numerical advantage in the second minute of additional time, a set-piece coming off Shelton to make it 1-1.

    And Minnesota found a 97th-minute winner through Kevin Molino, who tucked away a finish from inside the area to snatch all three points.

    Real Salt Lake scored once in each half in a 2-0 win over the Colorado Rapids.

    Albert Rusnak opened the scoring approaching the half-hour mark and while he was denied by Clint Irwin from the penalty spot in the second half, Real Salt Lake sealed their win through Damir Kreilach's low strike from distance.

    Earlier, the day's scheduled game between Toronto and DC United was postponed due to an unconfirmed positive COVID-19 test and an inconclusive one.

  • Cadiz promoted to LaLiga after Zaragoza slip up against Oviedo Cadiz promoted to LaLiga after Zaragoza slip up against Oviedo

    Cadiz will spend the 2020-21 season in LaLiga after their promotion was guaranteed by Real Zaragoza's failure to beat Real Oviedo on Sunday. 

    The Andalusian side last featured in Spain's top flight in 2005-06 and were in the third tier for seven of their campaigns since then. 

    A 1-0 defeat at home to Fuenlabrada on Saturday saw Cadiz miss a chance to secure their ascension from the Segunda Division. 

    However, the league leaders received a favour from mid-table Oviedo, who claimed a 4-2 win at La Romareda to ensure Cadiz cannot be caught by any team sitting outside the top two. 

    Alvaro Cervera's side narrowly missed out on a play-off spot last term but are now on the brink of clinching the title, as they sit five points clear of second-placed Huesca. 

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.