Reggae Boyz ready for Group B opener against Antigua

By September 05, 2019
Reggae Boy Dever Orgill Reggae Boy Dever Orgill

One of the heavyweights in the Concacaf Nations League, the Jamaica’s men’s national team will be one of the favorites to win their group in League B.

Theodore Whitmore’s side finished Concacaf Nations League Qualifying in eighth place and were denied participation in League A only by goal difference.

Jamaica won their first three qualifying matches by a combined score of 12-1 but had their attack shut down on their final matchday.

The team’s only defeat in CNLQ came away at El Salvador, 2-0, a match their foes needed to secure the final spot in the Gold Cup.

Jamaica’s run in qualifying saw them secure a spot in the Concacaf Gold Cup for themselves and were later named as one of the tournament’s co-hosts.

Hosting a Gold Cup match for the first time, Jamaica opened the tournament with a win against Honduras. The next two matches ended in draws but were enough to win the group.

A 1-3 loss to the United States in the semifinal denied the team a third consecutive final.

Jamaica now turn the page and begin play in the Nations League, drawn in Group C along with Guyana, Antigua and Barbuda and Aruba.

The Reggae Boyz open at home against Antigua and Barbuda before traveling to Guyana to kickoff Nations League play on Friday.

In other games, from League B tomorrow, Aruba play Guyana and Montserrat host the Dominican Republic.

Paul-Andre Walker

Paul-Andre is the Managing Editor at SportsMax.tv. He comes to the role with almost 20 years of experience as journalist. That experience includes all facets of media. He began as a sports Journalist in 2001, quickly moving into radio, where he was an editor before becoming a news editor and then an entertainment editor with one of the biggest media houses in the Caribbean.

Related items

  • Jamaica centre Samuels to sign with Greek club Panionios BC Jamaica centre Samuels to sign with Greek club Panionios BC

    Jamaica centre Samardo Samuels is expected to join Athens-based club Panionios BC ahead of the new Greek Basketball League (GBL) season.

    The much-traveled 30-year-old former NBA player was recently back in the United States where he took part in the Big 3 league.  Samuels represented the Trilogy. 

    Prior to the move, the controversial player had found himself without a club, after being suspended by French basketball outfit Limogues following an argument with the coach.

    A string of short stints has followed the player since 2017 when he signed with Spanish club Real Betis Energia Plus.  The big man parted ways with the club after a coaching dispute. 

    Samuels signed with the Serbian club Partizan for the rest of the 2017–18 season.  He was suspended by the club on November 15, for the violation of its discipline code, just a day after Partizan lost in a EuroCup game against Alba Berlin.  The player reportedly criticized head coach Miroslav Nikolić and made inappropriate remarks to a female journalist.

  • Leicester pledge to support striker Vardy after WAG saga Leicester pledge to support striker Vardy after WAG saga

    Leicester City striker Jamie Vardy has the support of the club after the spat between his wife Rebekah Vardy and Coleen Rooney, manager Brendan Rodgers has said.

    Coleen Rooney, wife of England's record goalscorer Wayne Rooney, last week alleged that stories about her personal life had been leaked to a newspaper by someone with access to Rebekah Vardy's Instagram account.

    By changing her privacy settings to mean only those logged in on Rebekah Vardy's account could view her Instagram stories, Coleen Rooney said she posted a series of fabricated tales about her personal life which made their way into print.

    Rebekah Vardy strenuously denied any involvement in passing on details to The Sun newspaper and hit back at Coleen Rooney.

    Rooney was nicknamed 'WAGatha Christie' by British media for the elaborate way in which she claimed to have worked out how the stories reached the public domain.

    Rebekah Vardy blamed "various people having access to my insta" and said she was "disgusted" to have to deny involvement at a time when she was heavily pregnant.

    The unusual saga came during football's international break. Wayne Rooney and Jamie Vardy are former England team-mates but have retired from playing for their country.

    Rodgers addressed the matter at a news conference on Thursday and said: "It's something that is personal and outside of our remit. All we ever offer is support to the players and their families.

    "I was aware of what went on last week. I actually gave Jamie an extra few days away with his family to have a rest and I'm sure that was a difficult week for them. We're here to support him, and his family if they need it."

    Rodgers added: "I spoke to Jamie earlier on in the week. He has trained fine and been great this week."

    Wayne Rooney, who is also Manchester United's record scorer, will return to English football following his time with MLS team DC United when he joins Championship club Derby County in January.

    Jamie Vardy has scored five Premier League goals for Leicester this season, with Rodgers' men riding high in fourth position. They play Burnley on Saturday.

  • Spanish federation poised to deliver Clasico verdict Spanish federation poised to deliver Clasico verdict

    A decision on whether next week's Clasico between Barcelona and Real Madrid can go ahead at Camp Nou is set to be made on Thursday, Royal Spanish Football Federation (RFEF) president Luis Rubiales said.

    Violent scenes broke out in Barcelona at the start of the week after nine Catalan political leaders received long prison sentences for their roles in the region's 2017 referendum and subsequent declaration of independence.

    A rally in the city has been called by pro-independence politicians for October 26, the day Barca are due to host bitter rivals Madrid.

    Barcelona's main airport was briefly closed on Tuesday due to the tension, with Spanish league officials raising concern the Clasico could be affected by protests.

    One option would be to move the game to Madrid and for Barca to host the second Clasico of the season, but that was opposed by Blaugrana head coach Ernesto Valverde on Thursday.

    There have also been suggestions the match should be postponed and an alternative date in the calendar found. Valverde thinks the game should go ahead as planned.

    Rubiales said Barca and Madrid swiftly submitted their observations on the matter and the RFEF would be seeking to make an early decision.

    "I can assure that we will work to try to have a resolution this evening, because there are people involved, supporters with booked trips, tickets, media, and that is what we have done," Rubiales said.

    "Regarding the government, what I can say is that this is a matter of football, and it is the competition committee which has to decide. So the government hasn't contacted us or asked for one or another thing."

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.