Jamaica to kick off Nations League Group stage against Antigua

By August 19, 2019

The Reggae Boyz will kickstart their Nations League group stage effort on Friday against Antigua and Barbuda at the Montego Bay Sports Complex on the island’s north coast.

The game will be played on September 6, leaving the Reggae Boyz, who last played in the Gold Cup, ending their campaign in the semi-finals, with little turn-around time before their game against Guyana on September 9.

The team will leave the island September 7 for that fixture.

Coach of the Reggae Boyz, Theodore Whitmore, is under no illusions about how important these games are, expressing those sentiments to key executives of the Jamaica Football Federation just recently.

“It is important that that then edn of the group phase the country finishes in the top six in CONCACAF in order to be in the best position entering the World Cup qualifiers in September 2020,” he said.

Whitmore was appealing to the executive members for support in the next few months, saying even after that, all international fixtures took on significance.

"Even after finishing in the top six in November 2019, it will be important to maintain that position through other FIFA international match dates down to June 2020, so I am urging total focus and support through the next couple of months in the first instance," he said.

Rule changes in the region, mean that only the top six teams will be allowed to play in qualifiers for a direct place in the World Cup.

The teams finishing outside of that top six will play for FIFA’s half-spot, meaning they will play against each other for the right to play against the team that finishes fourth from the top-six.

That game will be played in a home-and-away format and will determine another fixture of the same nature against a team from another region. Those two will then play for a World Cup berth.

The hexagonal will feature 10 games for each team, beginning in September.

There will also be games in October and November this year, before a restart in March of 2021. The games conclude in September of 2021, just over a year before the World Cup.

Paul-Andre Walker

Paul-Andre is the Managing Editor at SportsMax.tv. He comes to the role with almost 20 years of experience as journalist. That experience includes all facets of media. He began as a sports Journalist in 2001, quickly moving into radio, where he was an editor before becoming a news editor and then an entertainment editor with one of the biggest media houses in the Caribbean.

Related items

  • Leon Bailey set to miss Reggae Boyz’ Nations League outing Leon Bailey set to miss Reggae Boyz’ Nations League outing

    Reggae Boy Leon Bailey will not play for the country when it takes on a pair of games against Aruba in October.

    The Reggae Boyz begin their CONCACAF Nations League tie against Aruba at the National Stadium in Kingston on October 12 but then move on to Curacao for the away leg two days later.

    Bailey’s unavailability was confirmed when scans showed a muscular tear following Bayer Leverkusen's UEFA Champions League game against Locomotiv Moscow.

    Bailey has proved a little underwhelming, since coming into the Reggae Boyz line up for, first the Gold Cup, and now the CNL, but managed to score his first goal for the outfit earlier this month as the side crushed Antigua & Barbuda 6-0.

    Bailey will be absent for about a month and won’t be available until November 15 and 18 when the Reggae Boyz take on Antigua & Barbuda and Guyana.

  • Reggae Boyz Nations League game moved to Curacao Reggae Boyz Nations League game moved to Curacao

    Jamaica were to have their next CONCACAF Nations League away game against Aruba on October 15 but that has been changed to a fixture in Curacao.

    According to reports, Aruba’s home field, did not meet the FIFA and CONCACAF standards to host international fixtures.

    The Reggae Boyz have played at the Ergilio Hato Stadium before when they visited Bonaire in Nations League action from last year.

    It has been 22 years since the Reggae Boyz last played Aruba in a 6-0 affair and based on the start the team has had, that kind of result could be on the cards for the tiny island nation.

    The Reggae Boyz started League ‘B’ positively, winning their first two games against Antigua & Barbuda and Guyana, 6-0 and 4-0 respectively.

    Aruba, on the other hand, have found the league’s Group C a rough place to be, losing their games to remain rooted to the foot of the table without a point. Aruba lost to Antigua & Barbuda 2-1, before suffering a 1-0 loss to Guyana.

    The tie between the teams could be well and truly over with the Reggae Boyz first facing them in a home game at the National Stadium in Jamaica on October 12.

  • Inter coach Conte despairs of Italian football's hate culture Inter coach Conte despairs of Italian football's hate culture

    Inter head coach Antonio Conte believes Italian football's "hate" culture has worsened since he returned to Serie A.

    Cagliari fans subjected Inter striker Romelu Lukaku to monkey chants before he took a penalty when the sides met in Serie A on September 2.

    On Monday Italian television station TopCalcio24 dropped pundit Luciano Passirani and apologised after he made a racist comment about Lukaku.

    Conte resumed his management career in his homeland when he joined Inter in May following two seasons in the Premier League with Chelsea.

    The 50-year-old was speaking at a news conference on Friday ahead of their San Siro clash with city rivals AC Milan, which has been called the 'Derby Against Racism'.

    "I came back after three years and found everything worse," Conte said.

    "A lot of hatred, resentment. It is only to insult and foment hatred. This is very bad. This exists in Italy and is getting worse and worse.

    "I had the luck to have an experience in England, where they throw them [supporters] in jail and throw away the keys, they don't come to the stadium anymore.

    "We need to improve. That's why in England you see families at the stadium. I repeat: we have to improve everyone.”

    Conte also took a swipe at the media and claimed they perpetuate the problem to a large degree by stoking up rivalries.

    He continued: "I found an Italy worsened to the nth degree and we are all guilty. Including you [the media] who are sitting there. We are not exempt.

    "It is easy to make articles after something has happened and to put yourself on the side of reason. 

    "They are articles that foster lack of respect. We will all have to do an examination of conscience. I repeat: I had been absent for three years, I found something multiplied many times. 

    "I think it is anti-educational towards the generations that are coming because they are born in front of the keyboard reading hate and violence.

    "The solution would be to send positive messages. Do not stir up violence and accentuate the rivalry.

    "I think that communication has a very important role in this because the reader can read hatred or positive things and can continue on a certain wave."

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.