RSPL clubs fined, players suspended for finals fracas

By May 10, 2019

Champions Portmore United, runners up Waterhouse Football Club and some of their players were slapped with fines and suspensions arising from the disruption of the Red Stripe Premier League finals held at the National Stadium on April 29, 2019.

Portmore United won the final 1-0 but the final 10 minutes of the match descended in chaos when fans of Waterhouse FC threw projectiles on the field and fights broke out between players on the field.

The JFF Disciplinary Committee met on May 8 to review the incident and agreed to a number of fines and suspensions.

Waterhouse player Rafiek Thomas JMD $25,000 and slapped him with six-match suspension for violent conduct.

Meanwhile, Damion Williams of Portmore United Football Club was fined JMD $10,000.00 and suspended for two matches for violent conduct.

Furthermore, the Professional Footballers Association of Jamaica (PFAJ) Operations Committee arrived at its own sanctions at a meeting held on Thursday, May 9, 2019.

For breach of Article 8 par 7b - Lack of Discipline and Order inside or Outside Grounds/Disorderliness at Matches, Waterhouse FC was fined JMD$ 150,000 and must serve a six-match probationary period (home and away games) commencing with the start of the 2019-2020 Premier League season.

Should there be any repeat or similar incident consideration could be given to a stadium ban or a region ban without spectators.

Meanwhile, Waterhouse mascot Damion 'Eptic' Lewis been suspended from all PFAJ sanctioned football-related activities for six matches commencing with the start of the 2019-2020 Premier League season.

Waterhouse also picked up a JMD$25,000.00 fine.

'Eptic' may choose to attend games during this period but cannot be associated with the game as a mascot or any similar function during his suspension, the JFF said.

The PFAJ Operations Committee was also deeply concerned about the general lack of discipline by some players and members of the Waterhouse FC throughout the night of the final.

 

 

Leighton Levy

Leighton Levy is a journalist with 28 years’ experience covering crime, entertainment, and sports. He joined the staff at SportsMax.TV as a content editor two years ago and is enjoying the experience of developing sports content and new ideas. At SportsMax.tv he is pursuing his true passion - sports.

Related items

  • Reported Arsenal target Izzo commits to Torino Reported Arsenal target Izzo commits to Torino

    Armando Izzo has signed a new contract at Torino, ending speculation he could move to the Premier League.

    Arsenal were reportedly interested in the centre-back, who has also been linked with Manchester United and Everton.

    But Izzo, who made his first Italy appearance in a Euro 2020 qualifier in March, has instead signed a new five-year deal with Torino.

    Speaking last month, the 27-year-old indicated he would commit to the Granata and he is thrilled to have agreed an extension.

    "Happy to continue with the Bull, with the same determination we will still face many battles together!!" Izzo wrote on Instagram.

    Torino, who finished seventh in Serie A last season, will play in the Europa League in 2019-20 due to AC Milan's ban.

    Walter Mazzarri's side face a qualifier against Hungarian outfit Debrecen, with the first leg to be played on Thursday.

  • Udinese sign Real Madrid striker Udinese sign Real Madrid striker

    Udinese have announced the signing of Cristo Gonzalez from Real Madrid.

    Gonzalez, 21, has agreed a five-year deal with the Serie A side, who are reported to have paid €1.5million.

    Madrid are said to have included both a buy-back clause and a sell-on fee in the deal for the striker.

    Gonzalez scored 21 goals for Real Madrid's reserves last term and hit his first senior goal for the club in a Copa del Rey win at Melilla.

    Madrid, meanwhile, are closing in on the signing of midfielder Alberto Soro, according to Real Zaragoza president Christian Lapetra.

    Soro will reportedly sign for Madrid in a €2.5m deal that could rise to around €5m, before returning to Zaragoza on loan.

  • Maldini: Modric would be 'perfect' but Milan did not bid for Madrid star Maldini: Modric would be 'perfect' but Milan did not bid for Madrid star

    Paolo Maldini insists AC Milan did not make an offer for Luka Modric this close season, although he admits the Real Madrid man would be "perfect" at San Siro.

    Modric is expected to stay at Madrid, where he has been since 2012, but the 33-year-old was linked with moves to Inter last year and rivals Milan in recent months.

    Maldini, acknowleding the midfielder's blend of experience and talent, says there was never any negotiation for the 2018 Ballon d'Or winner.

    "We never negotiated for Modric, but we've said to [coach Marco] Giampaolo this club are looking for good young players and some experienced ones," Rossoneri technical director Maldini told a news conference.

    "The growth of young players takes place through the presence of experienced players. Modric would be perfect here, but we've never negotiated for him."

    Maldini was speaking alongside Rade Krunic and Theo Hernandez as they were presented as Milan players on Friday.

    Hernandez, a left-back just as Maldini was in his playing days, was delighted to have joined Milan.

    "It is a real honour to be sitting next to [Maldini]," Hernandez said. "He will always be the best full-back in the world.

    "We met in Ibiza, where he had some very beautiful and sincere words for me. Since then, I have had the desire to join Milan. I trained hard to succeed and in the end I did it."

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.