Stoke legend, former Reggae Boy takes schoolboy footballers to Camp in England

By Sports Desk March 23, 2019

Ricardo Fuller, the Football Programme Ambassador for the 2018 schoolboy football season, has selected seven players to participate in a football camp to be hosted by Stoke City Football Club in England. 

The football camp at Stoke City starts on Monday, March 25 and runs for 10 days.

Among the players selected are one each from Manning Cup champions Kingston College (KC) and daCosta Cup champions Clarendon College.

KC defeated North Street neighbours St George's College 3-2 in the Manning Cup final at the National Stadium on November 30 to win urban area biggest schoolboy football prize for the first time in 32 years, while Clarendon College turned in a big performance to beat Cornwall College 2-1 in the daCosta Cup final at the Montego Bay Sports Complex on December 1.

Trayvon Reid was selected from KC, while Lamar Walker will represent Clarendon College.

The other players selected are Chantomoi Taylor and Emilio Rousseau of St George’s College, Norman Campbell of Jamaica College, Giovanni Laing of Camperdown High and Shavon McDonald of Cornwall College.

The players are scheduled to depart the country tonight and six of the seven selectees were hosted by Digicel at its headquarters in downtown Kingston, just ahead of travelling to the Norman Manley International Airport.

The six players will meet up with the other member of the team - Shavon McDonald - at the Sangster International Airport in Montego Bay.

Digicel and Wisynco last year signed as title sponsors of schoolboy football for the next three years.

Digicel, in its second stint as title sponsors, will invest $75 million over three years in the urban area Manning Cup and Walker Cup knockout competitions. Wisynco signed a sponsorship package of close to $100 million in the rural area daCosta Cup and Ben Francis knockout.

At the beginning of the 2018 season Digicel, as part of its commitment to youth sports development, had engaged Fuller to provide mentorship to teams.

Digicel’s Public Relations and Communications Manager Elon Parkinson, who will travel with the players to England, said Fuller shares Digicel’s passion for youth sports development and the company is very excited about the possibilities that could emerge from the camp.

Parkinson said, “this is a dream of Ricardo Fuller, the programme ambassador from the 2018 schoolboy football competition. And is also a dream of ours to make sure that as we pursue these sponsorships we do them in such a way that they are a tremendous benefit to the participants.

“So it not only about making sure that the facilities at which they play during the tournament are well kept and that fixtures are executed as planned, but it also about the post-competition period where opportunities like this can come up and we know that Ricardo Fuller has been working on it for a couple of months and he was very excited about choosing the players from the competition, having watched them perform.”

Parkinson said the seven selectees will also get the opportunity to see Stoke City in action on Saturday, March 30. Stoke will host Sheffield Wednesday in the English Championship at the bet365 Stadium.

Related items

  • I don't even know what I want – Ibrahimovic unsure about future I don't even know what I want – Ibrahimovic unsure about future

    Zlatan Ibrahimovic is unsure what his future holds amid reports he will leave AC Milan at the end of the season and possibly retire.

    Ibrahimovic, 38, returned to Milan in December and scored four goals in 10 appearances before the campaign was stopped due to the coronavirus pandemic.

    The former Barcelona, Inter and Manchester United star is reportedly considering his future, with his contract at Milan expiring at season's end.

    But Ibrahimovic said even he was unsure about what was ahead as he considers his options.

    "Let's see," he told Svenska Dagbladet on Wednesday.

    "I don't even know what I want. Something new happens every day. Who could have predicted this with corona? We just have to try to live and enjoy life.

    "Don't worry too much. I have a family to take care of, they feel good so I feel good."

    Italy has been hit hard by coronavirus, reporting more than 110,000 cases and 13,100 deaths.

    Ibrahimovic said the health of the community had to come first, with the Serie A season suspended indefinitely.

    "It started to spread to football. They shut down the whole training facility, we were not allowed to move outside," he said.

    "It is tragic that football leagues shut down, but we must respect the system and be patient. They must find a solution that is good for the whole community.

    "Health is above all sport. I'm not worried about corona. I think it will be solved, it's just to wait until the experts know what to do."

  • Coronavirus: Walker hopes Premier League season resumes, but says football must 'take a back step' Coronavirus: Walker hopes Premier League season resumes, but says football must 'take a back step'

    Manchester City defender Kyle Walker hopes the Premier League season can resume, but said "football has to take a back step for now".

    The campaign has been suspended due to the coronavirus pandemic, which has brought sport to a standstill around the world.

    It remains unclear when, and if, the Premier League campaign will resume, but Walker is hoping the season can get back underway.

    "Football has to take a back step for now because that is the least important thing on everyone's mind in the football world," the right-back said.

    "The health of family members and other people's family members is the most important.

    "But, I hope, and I am sure everybody else hopes, that football will come back and we will be able to finish off the season, but if it is not a possibility, then everyone does understand that people's health is more important than a game of sport."

    Walker discussed how City – who were second to Liverpool in the Premier League when the season was stopped – were keeping up team spirit using group chats.

    But the 29-year-old revealed manager Pep Guardiola, who donated €1million to the coronavirus fight in Spain, was not in the players' chat.

    "Obviously Pep is not in the group chat! I dropped him a text message last night saying hope you are OK, and I hope the family is well and fair play for donating the amount of money that you have donated," Walker said.

    "That says a lot about him as a person. Put football aside, that has come from his heart and it is something that should definitely be recognised."

  • Coronavirus: Serie A clubs banned from team training until at least April 13 Coronavirus: Serie A clubs banned from team training until at least April 13

    Italian prime minister Giuseppe Conte has banned Serie A clubs from returning to team training until at least April 13.

    The Serie A season was suspended indefinitely last month with Italy hit hard by the coronavirus pandemic.

    Napoli and Lazio were among the clubs to backtrack on plans to return to training last month and with Italy extending their nationwide lockdown until April 13, Conte ruled out any team sessions taking place.

    "Actual measures are extended until April 13. We know we are asking another effort, another sacrifice," he said on Wednesday.

    "We have to understand one thing – if we stop following the rules or reduce these measures, we will waste our efforts."

    Conte added: "The only news introduced is about athletes' training sessions … training sessions are not allowed in clubs' headquarters.

    "It doesn't mean athletes cannot train themselves, they can do it individually."

    More than 13,100 people have died from coronavirus in Italy, with the global death toll exceeding 46,000.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.