Reggae Girlz World Cup squad selection begins with Chile matches this weekend

By February 26, 2019

Jamaica's Reggae Girlz have to hit the ground running in their two upcoming friendlies against Chile on February 28 and March 3 in Jamaica as head coach Hue Menzies will begin selecting his World Cup squad this weekend.

Chile, a team also headed to the 2019 FIFA Women’s World Cup in France this summer, will play Jamaica at the National Stadium in Kingston on Thursday, February 28, and then again on Sunday, March 3, at the Montego Bay Sports Complex in St. James.

A squad of 24 players was called for the two friendlies and the pressure comes to bear immediately as the head coach will pay keen attention to the players that bring a high level of performance in the first of a series of matches to prepare the team for the World Cup.

“This trip we will probably lock in 14 to 16 players for France. We will notify them so that they can start their personal preparations for France,” Menzies said while addressing the media at the Jamaica Pegasus in Kingston, shortly after arriving from their first training session since arriving in Jamaica earlier this week to prepare for the two matches.

“Today, they were a little rusty. Everybody is travelling from Europe and so forth but the training session got better. We feel comfortable. We are in Jamaica and we want to show the product that we have and we still need to get better.”

Menzies wants to see that development happen quickly as he looks to finalise his squad by the end of April.

“We have another set of games that will be coming up in April and then we will be back here in May for the send-off game. We’ll go to Scotland after that and then we go into France to our base and get ready for the World Cup,” Menzies said.

“We will solidify the group after the April camp and lock those names into the group that will be going off to France.”

Leighton Levy

Leighton Levy is a journalist with 28 years’ experience covering crime, entertainment, and sports. He joined the staff at SportsMax.TV as a content editor two years ago and is enjoying the experience of developing sports content and new ideas. At SportsMax.tv he is pursuing his true passion - sports.

Related items

  • T&T football mourns the passing of former TTFA President Raymond Tim Kee T&T football mourns the passing of former TTFA President Raymond Tim Kee

    Former Trinidad and Tobago Football Association (TTFA) president and Port of Spain Mayor, Raymond Tim Kee is dead.

    The 71-year-old Tim Kee, passed on Sunday at his Flagstaff home after a long ailment, leaving the football fraternity in mourning.

    TTFA President William Wallace issued condolences to the family, saying he had lost, not just a colleague in football, but a friend.

    “He was a good human being who cared for his fellow men. As an administrator, he never micromanaged but instead allowed guided initiative. He had the game at heart and was one of those persons who hurt over the last couple years,” said Wallace in an interview with T&T website Wired868.

    Wallace was the National Senior Team manager during Tim Kee’s term in office.

    “I salute the memory of an exceptional man who I knew as a voice of reason. My heartfelt sympathy condolences to his entire family,” he said.

    Wallace’s comments were made on the back of a TTFA statement, which also issued condolences, remembering Tim Kee as a kind-hearted man, ‘devoted and committed to serving his country the best way he could.’

    Tim Kee took over presidency of the TTFA in 2012 after Jack Warner was forced to resign amidst a US investigation into corruption within FIFA that implicated him.

    Tim Kee’s presidency saw a resurgence of the Soca Warriors but also an increasingly troubling financial situation. Constant squabbles with his board over those financial issues led to his eventual ousting in 2015 by recently deposed president, David John-Williams.

    Trinidad and Tobago Super League president, Keith Look Loy, as well as Strike Squad captain Clayton Morris have also expressed their condolences.   

  • Bologna rule out Ibrahimovic signing amid Napoli & Milan links Bologna rule out Ibrahimovic signing amid Napoli & Milan links

    Zlatan Ibrahimovic will not be joining Bologna, according to the club's director Walter Sabatini.

    Ibrahimovic had been linked with a return to Serie A via Bologna after leaving MLS outfit LA Galaxy at the end of his contract.

    But the 38-year-old striker will not be moving to Bologna amid speculation over a switch to either Napoli or former club Milan.

    "Ibrahimovic will not be coming to Bologna. He has made other choices," Sabatini told Tuttomercatoweb.

    A return to Milan has been mooted for Ibrahimovic, who won the 2011 Scudetto during his two years at San Siro.

    Italian rivals Napoli, however, have reportedly offered the ex-Manchester United and Paris Saint-Germain star an 18-month contract.

    Asked about Ibrahimovic on the eve of Napoli's Champions League clash with Genk, head coach Carlo Ancelotti told reporters on Monday: "I haven't spoken to Ibra today but I did yesterday [Sunday] evening."

    "He told me he is in Los Angeles at the moment," added Ancelotti. "He feels really good and weather conditions are just perfect there."

  • Haaland: It's not hard to deal with transfer speculation Haaland: It's not hard to deal with transfer speculation

    Erling Haaland is not finding it difficult to deal with the transfer speculation that has unsurprisingly followed his remarkable run of goalscoring form.

    The teenage Salzburg striker is enjoying an excellent campaign and has scored eight goals in five Champions League games to go with 16 in 14 in the Austrian Bundesliga.

    Should Haaland score against Liverpool on Tuesday in their Group E finale, in which Salzburg could knock out the holders, he will become the first player to score in his first six Champions League matches.

    Manchester United – managed by Haaland's former Molde coach Ole Gunnar Solskjaer – have been heavily linked with a move for the 19-year-old, while Borussia Dortmund, Juventus, Real Madrid, Barcelona and Liverpool have also been credited with interest in his services.

    Haaland, however, has little interest in such rumours.

    "I just focus on my job, playing football, and to enjoy what I do every day and to go in with a clear mindset, to be in the present, and enjoy the moment right now," he told a media conference.

    "That's my focus, to focus on Salzburg and me as a player. So, it's not hard at all [dealing with transfer speculation]. I'm enjoying every day and playing football."

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.