Warner blasts standard of T&T Pro League

By January 04, 2019
Former FIFA vice president Jack Warner. Former FIFA vice president Jack Warner.

Former FIFA vice president and local football head Jack Warner has lambasted the standard of the Trinidad and Tobago Pro League.

In a wide-ranging interview, which spoke to the overall state of football in the twin-island republic, Warner pointed to the level of play in local football league as a primary concern.  The league has often been plunged into chaos in recent years with players and clubs threatening to take strike action over unpaid wages.

As it stands, the league is heavily reliant on Government subvention and corporate support but it seems Warner is unconvinced of its benefits.

“You can’t expect to be asking how much you going to pay me and you can’t trap a ball, you can’t pass a ball,” Warner told T&T based news source CCN TV6.

“Right now the only thing professional about the T&T Pro League is the name pro.  There’s nothing professional about it.  Who today would pay a dollar to see a player play in the Pro League,” he added.

“Name for me five players in the Pro League who have substance.”

The former football administrator who is currently fighting extradition to the United States relating to corruption charges during his tenure as a FIFA Vice president.

Kwesi Mugisa

Kwesi has been a sports journalist with more than 10-years’ experience in the field. First as a Sports Reporter with The Gleaner in the early 2000s before he made the almost natural transition to becoming an editor. Since then he has led the revamp of The Star’s sports offering, making it a more engaging and forward-thinking component of the most popular tabloid newspaper in the Caribbean.

Related items

  • Lee Ahye will be big miss for T&T admits NAAATT president Serrette Lee Ahye will be big miss for T&T admits NAAATT president Serrette

    Trinidad and Tobago National Association of Athletics Administrations (NAAATT) president Ephraim Serrette has admitted the loss of sprinter Michelle Lee-Ayhe will be a big blow for the twin island republic heading into this month’s IAAF World Championships.

    The 27-year-old Lee-Ayhe, the reigning Commonwealth Games 100m champion, has been on suspension since August 30 after recently being sanctioned for ‘whereabouts’ violations.

    “Michelle-Lee is critical for the women’s team. So, it’s up to the rest to make the best of things. There was also the situation with Khalifa St Fort calling off her season early. They have to be prepared for all circumstances,” Serrette told Trinidad and Tobago Express.

    With Lee-Ahye absent, Kelly-Ann Baptiste will be the country's’ only representative in the women’s 100m.  Kamaria Durant and Mauricia Prieto will be on duty in the 200m.  Baptiste, will join Prieto, Reyare Thomas and Semoy Hackett for the sprint relay.

    Keshorn Walcott has also been named on a team of 15 for the World Championships. The 2012 Olympic men’s javelin champion is one of two throwers.  Portious Warren will compete in the women’s shot put and Andwuelle Wright will take part in the men’s long jump.

  • Commonwealth Games 100m champ, Michelle-lee Ahye suspended for anti-doping violation Commonwealth Games 100m champ, Michelle-lee Ahye suspended for anti-doping violation

    Trinidad and Tobago’s 100m champion Michelle Lee Ahye is likely to miss the 2019 IAAF World Championships of Athletics later this month after she was put on a provisional suspension for a violation of the IAAF Anti-Doping Rules.

  • Pollard 'can't wait' to lead Windies to success Pollard 'can't wait' to lead Windies to success

    Trinidadian allrounder Kieron Pollard said he is honoured to lead the West Indies One Day International and T20 teams. The 32-year-old Pollard replaces Jason Holder and Carlos Brathwaite who led the ODI and T20 teams respectively.

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.