Bologna coach Sinisa Mihajlovic has started chemotherapy following his leukaemia diagnosis.

The 50-year-old announced at a news conference on Saturday he had been diagnosed with cancer.

However, Mihajlovic confirmed he is to remain in charge at the club regardless.

Former Yugoslavia international Mihajlovic began receiving treatment on Thursday, with the club informing supporters the coach is in "daily" contact with his colleagues.

A statement from Bologna read: "Three days after the admission of Sinisa Mihajlovic to the haematology department of the Istituto Seragnoli of the Policlinico Sant'Orsola, the typing of the disease was concluded: it is a mainly myeloid acute leukaemia.

"Mihajlovic started the chemotherapy treatment today [Thursday]. Despite the tests and treatments, the technician is in direct daily contact with his colleagues in Castelrotto [Bologna's base]."

Bologna head coach Sinisa Mihajlovic has confirmed he has been diagnosed with leukaemia.

The 50-year-old made the announcement at a media conference on Saturday alongside Bologna director Walter Sabatini.

Bologna confirmed Mihajlovic's contract will remain in place while he begins treatment.

"Unfortunately, or maybe fortunately, we did some tests and discovered some anomalies that weren't there four months ago," said the former Inter boss.

"We said I had a fever and the hardest thing was to convince my wife that it was true: I have leukaemia.

"I spent the night crying and I still have tears now, but I'm not afraid. I'll go to hospital and I can't wait to start fighting. I explained to my players that I will fight to win, as I've taught them to do on the pitch.

"I'll win this challenge, no doubt about it. I want to thank all of Bologna for making me understand that I'm a member of the family, and I'll also need them to win this battle. But I'll also need to see people not crying for me. I don't want pity.

"My father died of cancer, so I always get tested regularly. If we hadn't performed these tests, I wouldn't have shown any symptoms for a year. 

"None of us must think we are indestructible. All of us think, 'It won't happen to me', but when it does, it's a big shock. Your only hope then is to anticipate it, because if you discover it after two months or after a year, that makes a big difference.

"So, if I, as a famous person, can go through this, I hope it can help others to get themselves checked, to prepare and to realise that it can happen to anyone. I was perfectly healthy in every way and yet here I am.

"It changes your life in a moment. Everything changes in a moment. When you sleep and have a nightmare, you wake up, but for days you wake up and realise this isn't a nightmare, this is real.

"I hope, after winning this battle, I'll be able to talk it over with you all and look back on this period. Nothing has been given to me in life - I've had to fight for everything. I'll fight this, too."

Sabatini added: "Sinisa will hold Bologna in his hands, and Bologna will hold Sinisa, until the end of his contract.

"Whatever happens in the coming days, Mihajlovic will remain the coach of Bologna."

Sinisa Mihajlovic has signed a new three-year deal to commit his future to Bologna, ending speculation he could leave the Serie A club.

Mihajlovic agreed a deal until the end of the campaign – with the option of another year – when he replaced Filippo Inzaghi at the end of January.

Bologna recorded a vital 1-0 win at Inter in his first match in charge and they ended the campaign strongly, finishing 10th in the table after a run of two defeats in 12 games.

That upturn in form led to reports Mihajlovic could be a target for managerless Roma, Lazio and even champions Juventus, while he was also linked with a return to AC Milan.

But Mihajlovic is staying put at Stadio Renato Dall'Ara after signing a new contract, with the news announced on Saturday. 

"I'm happy," he told the club's official website. "I really wanted to stay at Bologna because the club has an ambitious project and a fantastic group has formed over the past months and the fans have always supported us.

"We're working in perfect harmony with the chairman and directors to reinforce our squad. The foundations are there for excellent results."

Mihajlovic started his managerial career with Bologna in 2008 and has also had spells in charge of Serie A sides Sampdoria and Torino.

Inter's winless run was stretched to four matches in all competitions as Sinisa Mihajlovic's struggling Bologna triumphed 1-0 at San Siro, in the process securing their first Serie A win since September. 

With the distraction of the transfer window out of the way, Ivan Perisic was back for the Nerazzurri but they still lacked fluency as they followed up a Coppa Italia exit on penalties to Lazio by losing at home. 

Bologna - led by ex-Inter man Mihajlovic in the first match of his second stint as coach - fully deserved a half-time lead secured by Federico Santander, who threatened throughout. 

And Inter's response after the break was tame, with Luciano Spalletti's team struggling to service Mauro Icardi as they made it far too easy for their determined opponents. 

Icardi should have scored inside the first minute, blazing wide after a dreadful Andrea Poli back pass, but Bologna soon came into their own. 

Samir Handanovic was alert to parry from Riccardo Orsolini and then had to make a wonderful stop to deny the dangerous Santander. 

Inter were on the ropes and they fell behind when Santander flicked a near-post header into the net from a left-wing corner for Bologna, with a dismal first half capped as Matias Vecino hacked at a clear opportunity at the other end. 

Lukasz Skorupski blocked bravely from Radja Nainggolan shortly after the restart, before a long throw presented an opportunity for half-time substitute Lautaro Martinez, who wastefully screwed his header wide. 

Spalletti sent on Andrea Ranocchia to add size to the attack with 15 minutes remaining as Inter pushed for an equaliser, but Skorupski beat away a left-footed volley from the centre-back and Bologna held on.

 

What does it mean? Spalletti's stars slumping 

Inter have struggled for consistency under Spalletti, but this performance was worryingly predictable. After a draw against Sassuolo, defeat at Torino and a shoot-out loss in midweek, the Nerazzurri were poor again. Aimless in attack and open at the back, the return of Perisic - linked with a move to Arsenal in January - did little to aid their cause.

Skorupski superb

The home side did not direct many efforts on target, but Skorupski was there when they did threaten to score. The goalkeeper also brilliantly challenged the advancing Icardi late in the first half. When Inter delivered cross after cross in the second period, the Poland international was there every time, coming off his line to command the situation.

Stefan suffers

Stefan de Vrij never got to grips with Santander, twice failing to clear the ball in the build-up to one early opportunity before he was beaten to the corner from which the forward scored the only goal of the contest.

What's next?

Inter next go to Parma, who stunned Juventus in a 3-3 draw on Saturday. Bologna, meanwhile, welcome Genoa the following day.

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.