Newcastle United have confirmed the appointment of boyhood fan and ex-Sunderland boss Steve Bruce as their new head coach, replacing departed manager Rafael Benitez.

The Magpies had been searching for a new coach since Benitez's departure at the end of his contract last month and they have found their man in Bruce, who leaves Sheffield Wednesday after a short but impressive stint.

The former Manchester United captain was reported to have resigned from his role at Wednesday earlier this week, having confirmed talks with Newcastle.

Bruce's links to rivals Sunderland, where he was manager between 2009 and 2011, may not go down well with supporters who were already organising protests against owner Mike Ashley, but he has signed a three-year deal at St James' Park.

"I'm delighted and incredibly proud to be appointed as head coach of Newcastle United," Bruce said. "This is my boyhood club and it was my dad's club, so this is a very special moment for me and my family.

"There is a huge challenge ahead of us, but it's one that my staff and I are ready for. We'll roll our sleeves up and we'll be giving it everything from the off to ensure supporters have a successful team that they can be proud of."

Steve Agnew and Stephen Clemence, who were also at Wednesday, have been appointed as assistants to Bruce, and the trio will now travel to China to join the club's pre-season tour.

Newcastle had been linked with a variety of names in recent weeks, including Jose Mourinho, Steven Gerrard and Garry Monk, while Sam Allardyce says he rejected the opportunity to return to Tyneside.

A takeover has also been mooted, with the Bin Zayed Group from Dubai claiming to have agreed a deal with Ashley, but that has not yet come to pass.

The popular Benitez moved to China with Dalian Yifang after over three years at Newcastle, since continuing to complain about Ashley, with whom he was said to have a fractious relationship.

Newcastle's player of the year Salomon Rondon has returned to parent club West Brom since the end of last season, while top-scorer Ayoze Perez has also departed for Leicester City.

Midfielder Sean Longstaff has been widely linked with a move to Manchester United.

Newcastle United have confirmed the appointment of boyhood fan and ex-Sunderland boss Steve Bruce as their new head coach, replacing departed manager Rafael Benitez.

The Magpies had been searching for a new coach since Benitez's departure at the end of his contract last month and they have found their man in Bruce, who leaves Sheffield Wednesday after a short but impressive stint.

The former Manchester United captain was reported to have resigned from his role at Wednesday earlier this week, having confirmed talks with Newcastle.

Bruce's links to rivals Sunderland, where he was manager between 2009 and 2011, may not go down well with supporters who were already organising protests against owner Mike Ashley, but he has signed a three-year deal at St James' Park.

Matthijs de Ligt arrived at Juventus' health facility on Wednesday to complete the final formalities of his long-awaited transfer from Ajax.

The Serie A champions published a video to social media of Netherlands defender De Ligt acknowledging fans and posing for photos ahead of his medical.

The 19-year-old flew into Turin on Tuesday to finalise what will reportedly be an €80million move.

Having attracted reported attention from Barcelona, Manchester United and Paris Saint-Germain, De Ligt - who scored the goal that knocked Juve out of the Champions League last season - settled on Allianz Stadium as his preferred destination and the Italian giants eventually came to an agreement with Ajax.

He is tipped to a sign a five-year deal.

Pending the successful completion of his medical, De Ligt will become the Bianconeri's seventh signing of the close-season.

Free agents Adrien Rabiot and Gianluigi Buffon are among the other players to have signed on since ex-Chelsea boss Maurizio Sarri took charge in June.

Matthijs de Ligt arrived in Turin on Tuesday as the highly-coveted defender's move from Ajax to Juventus nears a conclusion.

The Serie A champions posted pictures and videos on social media of the 19-year-old Netherlands international landing ahead of a rumoured medical on Wednesday.

Barcelona, Manchester United, Liverpool and Paris Saint-Germain were all heavily linked with the centre-back, but the Ajax captain looks set to put the finishing touches on his switch to Juventus.

"Hello Bianconeri, this is Matthijs. I'm really happy to be here," De Ligt said in a video posted on Juve's Twitter account.

De Ligt will reportedly cost Juve €80million, with Ajax receiving another significant fee after Barcelona paid €75m to acquire midfielder Frenkie de Jong.

Ajax reached the Champions League semi-finals last season, when they were knocked out by Tottenham, and Juventus will hope De Ligt can help end their long wait to lift Europe's premier club trophy again.

The Bianconeri have also added free agent midfielders Adrien Rabiot and Aaron Ramsey to their squad, as well as bringing back iconic goalkeeper Gianluigi Buffon for Maurizio Sarri's first season at the helm.

Matthijs de Ligt arrived in Turin on Tuesday as the highly-coveted defender's move from Ajax to Juventus nears a conclusion.

The Serie A champions posted pictures and videos on social media of the 19-year-old Netherlands international landing ahead of a rumoured medical on Wednesday.

Barcelona, Manchester United, Liverpool and Paris Saint-Germain were all heavily linked with the centre-back, but the Ajax captain looks set to put the finishing touches on his switch to Juventus.

"Hello Bianconeri, this is Matthijs. I'm really happy to be here," De Ligt said in a video posted on Juve's Twitter account.

Paris Saint-Germain have confirmed the signing of defender Abdou Diallo from Borussia Dortmund for a reported €32million fee.

Diallo signed for Dortmund from fellow Bundesliga side Mainz in June 2018 and had an impressive season at Signal Iduna Park, making 28 league appearances.

But with Mats Hummels returning to Dortmund from Bayern Munich, Diallo has been allowed to depart, with Thomas Tuchel going back to his former club to bring in the 23-year-old.

The Frenchman, who came through the academy at Monaco and can play at both centre-back and full-back, has penned a five-year contract at Parc des Princes.

"It is a great honour to be involved with such a prestigious club as Paris Saint-Germain," Diallo said.

"I have always said that the Parisian project was very attractive. Joining the capital club is another important step in my career.

"I am committed to giving my all for my new club and look forward to bringing my qualities and desire to this team renowned for its high quality and high ambitions."

Paris Saint-Germain have confirmed the signing of defender Abdou Diallo from Borussia Dortmund for a reported €32million fee.

Diallo signed for Dortmund from fellow Bundesliga side Mainz in June 2018 and had an impressive season at Signal Iduna Park, making 28 league appearances.

But with Mats Hummels returning to Dortmund, Diallo has been allowed to depart, with Thomas Tuchel going back to his former club to bring in the 23-year-old.

The Frenchman, who can play at both centre-back and full-back, has penned a five-year contract at Parc des Princes.

"It is a great honour to be involved with such a prestigious club as Paris Saint-Germain," Diallo said.

"I have always said that the Parisian project was very attractive. Joining the capital club is another important step in my career.

"I am committed to giving my all for my new club and look forward to bringing my qualities and desire to this team renowned for its high quality and high ambitions."

West Ham have agreed a deal with Eintracht Frankfurt to sign striker Sebastien Haller, the Bundesliga club have confirmed.

The 25-year-old has been granted permission to travel to London for a medical and to complete a move to the Premier League.

Manuel Pellegrini's side will reportedly pay £45million for the former France Under-21 international, which would break the club record of £34m they paid Lazio for Felipe Anderson last year.

Haller scored 15 goals in 23 Bundesliga starts last season as Eintracht finished in seventh place.

He struck a further five times in their run to the semi-finals of the Europa League, where they lost to Chelsea on penalties.

Haller is set to become West Ham's second major signing of the close season following the arrival of attacking midfielder Pablo Fornals from Villarreal.

West Ham quickly brokered a deal for Haller after they missed out on Maxi Gomez, who left Celta Vigo for Valencia.

Earlier, the Hammers confirmed the departure of full-back Sam Byram, who has joined Norwich City for a reported £750,000.

Byram, 25, made only 36 first-team appearances after joining from Leeds United in January 2016.

West Ham have agreed a deal with Eintracht Frankfurt to sign striker Sebastien Haller, the Bundesliga club have confirmed.

Novak Djokovic was taken to five sets and a historic tie-break in the longest Wimbledon final in history by Roger Federer but dug in to defend his title at the All England Club.

Enrique Cerezo claimed Atletico Madrid have evidence Barcelona had agreed to terms with Antoine Griezmann before his release clause dropped to €120million.

Barca confirmed the signing of Griezmann on Friday on a five-year deal after a solicitor representing the forward deposited money for his buy-out clause at LaLiga headquarters in Madrid.

However, Atletico believe the France international agreed to terms with Barca before his clause dropped from €200m on July 1 and therefore claim they are owed an additional €80m to ratify the transfer, they said in a statement.

Cerezo, the club president, said the LaLiga outfit had proof and planned to request a greater fee.

"If the club have made this statement it's because there's evidence," he told RAC1.

"We have to study it and we'll demand the amount we consider to be necessary."

Barca, who reportedly plan to present Griezmann at Camp Nou on Sunday, have yet to respond to Atletico's claims.

Cerezo also hit out at Griezmann, who confirmed in May he would be leaving Atletico.

"I'm disappointed by his attitude," he said.

"He wanted to leave, but he didn't tell us until the last minute."

Atletico Madrid are challenging Antoine Griezmann's transfer to Barcelona as they insist the Catalans should have paid €200million to activate his release clause, not €120m.

Barca confirmed the signing of Griezmann on Friday on a five-year deal after a solicitor representing the forward deposited money for his buy-out clause at LaLiga headquarters in Madrid.

However, Atletico believe the France international agreed terms with Barca before his clause dropped from €200m on July 1 and therefore claim they are owed an additional €80m to ratify the transfer.

In a statement published after Barca announced Griezmann as a new signing, Atleti said: "Atletico Madrid considers that the deposited amount is insufficient to cover his buyout clause, since it is obvious that the agreement between the player and Barcelona was closed before the clause was reduced from 200 million euros to 120 million euros. 

"It was also prior to the date on which the clause was modified the communication that the player made on May 14 announcing his disassociation from the club.

"Atletico Madrid believes that the termination of the contract happened before the end of the last season due to facts, acts and demonstrations made by the player, and therefore has already initiated the procedures it has deemed appropriate to protect their rights and lawful interests."

Barca, who reportedly plan to present Griezmann at Camp Nou on Sunday, have yet to respond to Atletico's claims.

Atletico Madrid are challenging Antoine Griezmann's transfer to Barcelona as they insist the Catalans should have paid €200million to activate his release clause, not €120m.

Antoine Griezmann has swapped Atletico Madrid for Barcelona after LaLiga's champions triggered his €120million release clause.

France star and World Cup winner Griezmann will link up with Lionel Messi at Camp Nou on a five-year deal that includes an €800m buy-out option, it was confirmed on Friday.

The 28-year-old turned down a move to Barca in June last year as he opted to extend his Atletico contract. However, Griezmann informed the Madrid side of his desire to leave the Spanish capital following five years.

Griezmann has now made the switch to Barca, joining fellow recruits Frenkie de Jong and Neto through the door as Ernesto Valverde's side eye a third consecutive LaLiga title.

The attacker – who was born in France and has spent his entire professional career in Spain – moved to Atletico from Real Sociedad in 2014.

He won the Europa League, UEFA Super Cup and Supercopa de Espana during his time at Atletico.

Griezmann scored 15 LaLiga goals as Diego Simeone's side finished second behind Barca in 2018-19, while he netted 21 in all competitions.

Griezmann may not be the last high-profile forward to join Barca in this transfer window, with Paris Saint-Germain superstar Neymar also linked with a return.

The Brazilian left Camp Nou in a world-record €222m deal two years ago, but rumours about a return to Spain have been constant throughout his time in Paris.

Barca revealed this month Neymar informed them he is eager to go move back, while PSG sporting director Leonardo confirmed the forward is available for the right price after he failed to report for pre-season training.

Antoine Griezmann has swapped Atletico Madrid for Barcelona after LaLiga's champions triggered his €120million release clause.

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.