Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain has signed a new long-term contract at Liverpool, the Premier League club have confirmed.

The England midfielder joined Jurgen Klopp's side from Arsenal in August 2017 and has made 47 appearances in all competitions, scoring five goals.

Those numbers would likely be far greater had Oxlade-Chamberlain not suffered a serious knee injury during the 2018 Champions League semi-final versus Roma that all but ruled him out of last season.

"I'm really, really excited – it's been in the pipeline for a little while, so it's nice to finally get it done and just extend my time here, which I am really looking forward to,” the 26-year-old told Liverpool's official website

"I feel like I missed out on a year, which I obviously did, so it's really exciting for me to be able to sign. It's something that I feel is an opportunity to give that year back and make up for lost time – and hopefully put in some good performances to make amends for not being around last year."

Although the length of the contract was not officially disclosed, Oxlade-Chamberlain is reported to have signed terms that tie him to the Anfield club until 2023.

Following their support throughout his long road back to fitness, he feels a debt of gratitude to Liverpool fans.

"I can promise the supporters that I'll give them absolutely everything moving forward," he added, having been an unused substitute in June's Champions League final win over Tottenham.

"There might be times where I have bad games and good games and moments where it's not so good, but I'll always work through those moments and give my everything to correct them and keep pushing this team forward.

"I hope that I can do some special things like I did before I got injured and, most of all, be a part of this group of players that go on to hopefully win more things.

"I'm really excited to see what the future holds for us all and I look forward to seeing them every game moving forward."

Klopp's men have won their first two Premier League games this season and host Oxlade-Chamberlain's former club Arsenal on Saturday.

Franck Ribery has completed a move to Serie A side Fiorentina following his departure from Bayern Munich.

Ribery, 36, became a free agent when his Bayern contact expired at the end of June.

The French winger spent 12 years in Bavaria, winning nine Bundesliga titles, and was given a warm welcome by Fiorentina fans when he flew into Florence on Wednesday.

The length of the deal has not been confirmed, but reports in Italy indicate it will run for two years.

"I am here with my family. We're doing something together," Ribery told reporters when he arrived in Florence.

"I have already spoken to Fiorentina and Luca Toni, who told me this was a great club and a beautiful city."

Vincenzo Montella could potentially include Ribery in his squad for Saturday's season opener at home to Napoli, who are coached by former Bayern boss Carlo Ancelotti.

Premier League club Sheffield United, A-League side Western Sydney Wanderers and teams in Saudi Arabia and Qatar had all been linked to the former Marseille star.

Ribery made 25 appearances and 10 starts in his final Bundesliga campaign, scoring six goals.

Franck Ribery has completed a move to Serie A side Fiorentina following his departure from Bayern Munich.

Ribery, 36, became a free agent when his Bayern contact expired at the end of June.

The French winger spent 12 years in Bavaria, winning nine Bundesliga titles, and was given a warm welcome by Fiorentina fans when he flew into Florence on Wednesday.

Steve Smith's absence for the third Ashes Test against England poses a big dilemma for Australia.

The 30-year-old has been ruled out of the Headingley contest as a result of the concussion he sustained from a Jofra Archer bouncer in the drawn Lord's contest.

Smith, returning to the Test arena following a ban for his role in the 2018 ball-tampering scandal in South Africa, has been the outstanding player in the series and his numbers make for astonishing reading.

A pair of centuries in the opening Test at Edgbaston helped Australia secure a 251-run rout of England and they must prepare to protect a 1-0 lead without their talisman.

Below, we look at Smith's exceptional numbers from the 2019 Ashes series thus far.

378 – From three innings over two Tests, Smith already has an astounding 378 runs. To put that into context, next on the list of most runs in the series is England's Rory Burns with 226.

144 – Smith's highest score of the series was 144 in the first innings of the Edgbaston Test. It proved a pivotal moment as Australia were reeling at 122-8 before Smith put on 88 with Peter Siddle.

126 – The 30-year-old's average for the series thus far is a remarkable 126. England all-rounder Ben Stokes sits at 61.33, the next best so far.

587 – England have thrown down 587 deliveries at Smith over the Tests at Edgbaston and Lord's, with the hosts' attack struggling to solve the conundrum of how to oust their nemesis.

64.39 – It is not just the volume of runs Smith is scoring but the speed at which he is doing so, with his strike rate at 64.39.

44 – Of the 587 balls Smith has faced, he has knocked 44 away to the boundary for four runs.

2 – Sixes are, naturally, not as commonplace in five-day cricket as in other forms but Smith has managed to clear the ropes on a couple of occasions.

Steve Smith has been ruled out of the third Ashes Test between Australia and England following his concussion at Lord's, coach Justin Langer has confirmed.

Talismanic batsman Smith was struck on the neck by a Jofra Archer bouncher on day four on Saturday and retired hurt before later returning to resume his innings.

The in-form Smith, who made centuries in each innings of the first Test at Edgbaston, did not play at all on day five, though, after suffering with delayed concussion.

Marnus Labuschagne was called in as a concussion substitute and made a brilliant 59 as the tourists battled to a draw to maintain their 1-0 series lead.

Smith said he was "hopeful" he would recover to feature at Headingley, but any hopes of participation in Leeds were ended by Langer on Tuesday.

The 30-year-old missed training with the rest of his Australia team-mates before the news was confirmed.

Coach Langer was due to discuss Smith and the upcoming Test with the media later on Tuesday.

Smith is returning to Test cricket in this series after serving a 12-month ban for his role in the team's ball-tampering scandal in South Africa last year, which also saw him lose his role as captain.

He has been in sensational form in England, making 144, 142 and 92 from his three Ashes knocks to put Australia ahead in the series prior to his injury.

Steve Smith has been ruled out of the third Ashes Test between Australia and England following his concussion at Lord's, coach Justin Langer has confirmed.

Philippe Coutinho has completed his season-long loan move from Barcelona to Bayern Munich, who have an option to make the deal permanent for €120million.

LaLiga champions Barca revealed the potential future fee is on top of an initial €8.5m loan payment.

The figures fall short of the €160m deal that Barca negotiated with Liverpool in January 2018.

Coutinho's switch from England to Spain attracted plenty of fanfare but he failed to deliver on expectations and spent periods out of Ernesto Valverde's preferred XI last season.

Barca are reported to have offered the midfield misfit to Paris Saint-Germain in a player-plus-cash exchange for Neymar.

Premier League clubs Arsenal, Manchester United and Tottenham were also linked with the former Inter man, but Bayern sporting director Hasan Salihamidzic said the 27-year-old expressed firm interest in a move to Allianz Arena.

"Philippe made it very clear to us during the negotiations in Barcelona that he absolutely wanted to move to Bayern," Salihamidzic said.

"He's a world-class player with great ability, who we can deploy in a number of positions in our forward line, so the Bayern squad has gained even more quality.

"Philippe Coutinho will help us achieve the ambitious targets we've set for this season."

An exciting scorer and provider at Anfield, his chief responsibility under Niko Kovac will be to fill the creative void left by James Rodriguez's return to Real Madrid after a two-season loan spell.

Coutinho said: "For me, this move means a new challenge in a new country with one of the best clubs in Europe.

"I'm very much looking forward to that.

"Like Bayern, I have big ambitions and I'm convinced that I can achieve them together with my new team-mates."

On Sunday, the Bundesliga club sealed the signing of French midfielder Mickael Cuisance from Borussia Monchengladbach on a five-year contract, while Ivan Perisic joined on loan from Inter last week.

The three new additions further reinforce Kovac's squad following the departures of Arjen Robben and Franck Ribery at the end of the last title-winning campaign.

Manchester City have avoided a transfer ban after FIFA confirmed the club will only receive a fine for breaching regulations relating to the signing of young players.

The Premier League champions have been ordered to pay CHF370,000 (£314,577) for breaching article 19 of FIFA's rules on the status and transfer of players.

However, City will not face a transfer ban like that which FIFA handed down to Chelsea in March for similar offences.

Like Chelsea, FIFA has found City to be in breach of regulations regarding the recruitment of youth players.

LaLiga giants Barcelona, Real Madrid and Atletico Madrid have also been handed punishments for similar offences within the past five years.

However, FIFA's Disciplinary Committee "took into account the fact that Manchester City FC accepted its responsibility", meaning the club was only issued a fine.

Manchester City have avoided a transfer ban after FIFA confirmed the club will only receive a fine for breaching regulations relating to the signing of young players.

Bayern Munich have signed Ivan Perisic on a season-long loan from Inter, with an option to make the deal permanent next year.

The 30-year-old joined Inter in 2015 and has been a regular starter during his four years at San Siro, scoring eight goals in Serie A last term.

He will provide competition to Serge Gnabry and Kingsley Coman at the Allianz Arena and could be included in Bayern's opening league game against Hertha Berlin on Friday.

Head coach Niko Kovac has been in the market for at least one new wide forward following the departures of Franck Ribery and Arjen Robben at the end of the 2018-19 campaign.

Bayern's hopes of signing Manchester City's Leroy Sane in this transfer window were effectively scuppered last week following the news he will be out for six to seven months after suffering an anterior cruciate ligament injury to his right knee.

Perisic has previously played in the Bundesliga, initially for Borussia Dortmund before joining Wolfsburg midway through the 2012-13 season.

He has made 82 appearances for Croatia and starred at the 2018 World Cup, scoring in the semi-final against England and in the final defeat to France.

"I am very happy to be back in Germany," Perisic told Bayern's official website. 

"Bayern is one of the biggest clubs in Europe. We want to attack not only in the Bundesliga and in the DFB-Pokal, but also in the Champions League."

Bayern's sporting director Hasan Salihamidzic added: "Ivan will help us with his many years of experience at an international top level immediately. 

"He is technically strong and flexible in attack. I'm sure Ivan will integrate quickly as he already knows the Bundesliga and our coach Niko Kovac well."

Bayern Munich have signed Ivan Perisic on a season-long loan from Inter, with an option to make the deal permanent next year.

 

Andy Murray ruled out playing in the US Open singles after losing to Richard Gasquet in the first round of the Western & Southern Open on Monday.

Murray went down 6-4 6-4 to Gasquet in his first singles match since January after undergoing hip resurfacing surgery, which left his career in doubt.

The three-time grand slam champion was rusty and struggled with his serve just a fortnight before the final grand slam of the year starts at Flushing Meadows.

Murray later revealed that he will not be in the singles field in New York but plans to play in both the doubles and mixed doubles. 

The former world number one stated that he may compete in the Winston-Salem Open in North Carolina next week as he eases his way back.

Murray, 32, won the doubles title with Feliciano Lopez on his return to the ATP Tour at Queen's Club in June.

He also played with Pierre-Hugues Herbert in the men's doubles at Wimbledon and formed a mixed-doubles dream team with Serena Williams in his home major.

Murray will link up with Lopez again in Cincinnati this week after his loss to Gasquet, having partnered the Spaniard at the Rogers Cup last week following a couple of matches with his brother, Jamie, at the Citi Open.

Wales will be without key man Gareth Anscombe for the Rugby World Cup after the fly-half was ruled out with a knee injury.

Head coach Warren Gatland confirmed Anscombe would undergo a scan after the 28-year-old went off during the first half of the 33-19 defeat to England at Twickenham on Sunday.

Anscombe's chances of being involved for the tournament in Japan are now over, however, after it was confirmed the New Zealand-born player had suffered an anterior cruciate ligament injury.

No timetable has been set for his return, with his absence leaving Dan Biggar, Jarrod Evans and Rhys Patchell as the three fly-halves remaining in a 40-man squad that will need to be trimmed down to 31 by September 8.

"Gareth Anscombe is out of Rugby World Cup contention after sustaining an anterior cruciate ligament injury in the match against England," read a statement from the Welsh Rugby Union.

"His prognosis and management with be determined following further specialist reviews."

Anscombe's superb performances in Wales' triumphant Six Nations campaign had established himself as first choice for the World Cup.

The loss of a first-team regular is a further setback for Gatland, particularly as British and Irish Lions back-rower Taulupe Faletau was already out of contention with a collarbone issue.

Wales start their Pool D campaign against Georgia on September 23, with Fiji, Uruguay and 2015 finalists Australia also in the same group.

Serena Williams was in tears as she retired early in the Rogers Cup final due to an upper back injury, handing unseeded teenager Bianca Andreescu the title in her homeland.

Williams, attempting to claim her first WTA Tour title since returning from maternity leave, was a break down at 3-1 in the first set in Toronto on Sunday when she declared she was unable to continue.

The 23-time grand slam singles champion sobbed as she was embraced by the 19-year-old Andreescu, after succumbing to an injury setback just a fortnight before the US Open gets under way.

Andreescu becomes the first home winner of the WTA Premier tournament since Faye Urban beat Vicki Berner in an all-Canadian final 50 years ago.

Powerful Ontario native Andreescu will rise to 14th in the world on Monday, replacing Amanda Anisimova as the highest-ranked teenager in the women's game.

The gifted youngster claimed her maiden WTA singles title at Indian Wells in March and will be one to watch in the final grand slam of the year at Flushing Meadows next month.

In the post-match presentation, Williams said: "Oh my gosh. Thank you, guys. I'm sorry I can't do it today, I tried but I just couldn't do it. Bianca, you are a great sportswoman. Thanks to my team.

"It's been a tough year, but we'll keep going."

Williams has now featured in four finals since giving birth to her first child in September 2017, failing to win any of them.

Andreescu spent a spell on the sidelines after pulling out of the French Open due to a shoulder injury and expressed sympathy for her iconic opponent, who is 18 years her senior.

"Serena, you made me cry a bunch over there," said Andreescu. "I know what it's like to pull out of tournaments and be injured. But you're truly a champion, I've watched you play so many times. You are truly a champion on and off the court.

"I'm speechless right now. I'm the first Canadian to make the final and win this tournament since 1969. This week has not been easy, I've had many many tough matches, and especially what I've been through the last two months hasn't been easy. I kept telling myself never give up."

Anthony Joshua's rematch against unified heavyweight champion Andy Ruiz Jr will take place in Diriyah, Saudi Arabia on December 7.

Page 1 of 43
© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.