Andy Murray will be joined by brother Jamie on the doubles court at the Washington Open next week.

The former singles world number one made his return from hip resurfacing surgery at the Queen's Club Championships in June, winning the doubles despite suggesting earlier this year he was set to retire.

Andy Murray also featured at Wimbledon, notably teaming up with WTA Tour great Serena Williams in the mixed doubles.

And now he will step onto the court with his sibling, alongside whom he helped Great Britain win the Davis Cup in 2015.

"They called us and said Andy really wanted to come back to [Washington] DC and wanted to play doubles with his brother," tournament manager Mark Ein said, as reported by the New York Times.

"We're putting a real focus on doubles at the event - it's a terrific piece of the competition and entertainment value for fans so we were thrilled he wanted to return."

Jamie Murray won the men's doubles at the ATP 500 event last year, playing with Bruno Soares.

Grigor Dimitrov's tough year continued with a first-round loss at the Atlanta Open, while Jack Sock's return ended in defeat on Tuesday.

Dimitrov has struggled throughout 2019 and the former world number three went down to qualifier Kevin King 7-5 6-4 at the ATP 250 event.

The Bulgarian now holds an 11-12 win-loss record this year, a run that has seen him drop to 53rd in the world.

Sock, making his first appearance since January after being sidelined due to a thumb injury, was edged by Miomir Kecmanovic 7-6 (11-9) 7-6 (7-5).

There were three seeds in action, with Frances Tiafoe suffering a surprise 4-6 6-3 7-6 (7-4) loss to Bernard Tomic.

Radu Albot, however, avoided an upset defeat, getting past Tennys Sandgren 6-4 7-6 (7-4), and Ugo Humbert was too good for Cole Gromley 7-6 (7-2) 6-2.

Reilly Opelka sent down 17 aces in a 6-3 7-6 (7-1) victory over Alexander Bublik and Daniel Evans thrashed Jason Jung 6-1 6-1 inside an hour.

Matthew Ebden overcame Kamil Majchrzak 7-6 (7-5) 6-3 and qualifier Kwon Soon-woo edged Prajnesh Gunneswaran 6-7 (4-7) 7-5 6-0.

Dominic Thiem and Alexander Zverev each bounced back from first-round exits at Wimbledon with victories at the German Tennis Championships on Tuesday.

Thiem and Zvervev lost to Sam Querrey and Jiri Vesely respectively at SW19 but rediscovered their form on the clay in Hamburg.

French Open finalist Thiem racked up the 250th ATP match win of his career by seeing off Pablo Cuevas 6-3 7-6 (7-3), while Zverev got the better of Swedish Open champion Nicolas Jarry.

Jarry's win in Bastad marked his first career ATP singles title, having lost to Zverev in the final of the Geneva Open in May, but he could not avoid a repeat of the result from two months ago as the German prevailed 6-4 6-2.

Next up for Zverev is Federico Delbonis, who lost to Jarry in the semi-finals last week but came from a set down to see off Marco Cecchinato in two hours and 36 minutes in his first-round encounter.

Third seed Fabio Fognini beat qualifier Julian Lenz, fourth seed Nikoloz Basilashvili was a straight-sets winner over Hugo Dellien and seventh seed Jan-Lennard Struff defeated Thiago Monteiro, but sixth seed Laslo Djere lost to Filip Krajinovic in two sets.

There were also wins for Richard Gasquet, Casper Ruud, Pablo Carreno Busta and Bastad finalist Juan Ignacio Londero.

Joao Sousa claimed a 6-4 6-4 win over Steve Darcis at the Swiss Open Gstaad, where Denis Istomin, Albert Ramos-Vinolas, Jaume Munar, Taro Daniel and Gian Marco Moroni were also victorious.

 

Alexei Popyrin stormed into the second round of the Atlanta Open, but fellow Australian and seventh seed Jordan Thompson crashed out.

Popyrin won almost 70 per cent of his service points as he eased past Denis Kudla 6-3 6-4 at the ATP 250 tournament on Monday.

The 19-year-old – who tallied nine aces – will face fourth seed Pierre-Hugues Herbert for a spot in the third round.

Thompson was a first-round casualty in Atlanta, where he fell 7-6 (7-3) 4-6 6-3 to Brit Cameron Norrie.

Norrie's three-set victory earned him a match against either South Korean qualifier Kwon Soon-woo or Prajnesh Gunneswaran.

Third seed Alex de Minaur awaits American Bradley Klahn, who saw off Marius Copil 7-6 (7-3) 7-5.

Seeded pair Benoit Paire and Cristian Garin were dumped out of the German Tennis Championships on Monday, along with two-time former champion Leonardo Mayer.

A day of upsets saw Paire go down to countryman Jeremy Chardy, while Garin went out to Andrey Rublev.

Fifth seed Paire scraped through the opening set but ultimately came up short, losing 6-7 (4-7) 7-5 6-3.

Mayer's defeat was perhaps the most shocking reverse, though, as he lost to 18-year-old wildcard Rudolf Molleker in straight sets.

Home hopeful Molleker came through a first-set tie-break 10-8 and then secured the only break of the match to see off the 2014 and 2017 winner. Mayer had also reached the final last year.

He was the only German player to win on Monday, however, as Martin Klizan - himself a former champion - eased past Daniel Altmaier.

Philipp Kohlschreiber was easily dispatched by Marton Fucsovics.

At the Swiss Open Gstaad, 2014 winner Pablo Andujar came through three sets against Dennis Novak, while Roberto Carballes Baena also advanced.

Corentin Moutet exited at the hands of Cedrik-Marcel Stebe, but Stefano Travaglia, who defeated Fabio Fognini at last week's Croatia Open Umag, progressed.

John Isner landed his fourth Hall of Fame Tennis Championships title in Newport, Rhode Island, where the American saw off Alexander Bublik in straight sets.

The 34-year-old finished off with a passing shot down the line as he completed a 7-6 (7-2) 6-3 victory in an hour and 15 minutes at the grass-court event.

Bublik, at 6ft 5in, was remarkably the shorter man in the match by five inches as the 22-year-old competed in his first ATP Tour final.

Isner made his comeback from a broken foot when he reached the second round at Wimbledon earlier this month.

The world number 15 found trophy-winning form again at a familiar tournament on Sunday when he outplayed Bublik, a Russia-born 83rd-ranked player who represents Kazakhstan and has a flamboyant side, including underarm serves in his weaponry.

At one crucial point in the second set, Bublik played a seemingly gratuitous between-the-legs shot from mid-court and found the net, when he might have passed Isner with a more conventional play.

Isner, who landed his 15th career title, praised his opponent at the trophy presentation, telling Bublik: "It was a lot of fun to play against you today.

"You're very quirky but I mean that in a very sincere way. You're fantastic for the game and we all hope you have fantastic results in the future, because guys like you are very important to keep tennis exciting.

"I want you to keep going buddy. Good job."

At the Croatia Open in Umag, fourth seed Dusan Lajovic claimed his maiden ATP Tour title, beating qualifier Attila Balazs 7-5 7-5.

Lajovic was a shock finalist at the Monte Carlo Masters in April, while Balazs retired from tennis in 2014 but returned two years later and will now be able to celebrate a career-high ranking, beating his previous best of 153, on Monday.

Nicolas Jarry followed in the footsteps of his grandfather by claiming his maiden ATP Tour title with a straight-sets victory over Juan Ignacio Londero at the Swedish Open.

Jarry is the grandson of Jaime Fillol Sr, a winner of six tour titles who was ranked as high as 14th in the world in 1974.

In Bastad on Sunday, Jarry, who had been beaten in his two previous ATP finals, made a breakthrough courtesy of a 7-6 (9-7) 6-4 triumph.

Londero had two set points in the tie-breaker that decided the opener, but those chances went begging and Jarry took his second opportunity to forge ahead.

A break of serve in the seventh game of the second set then proved crucial as the Chilean moved to the brink of victory.

Jarry, who was the fifth seed in Bastad, ends the week having not dropped a set.

 

John Isner reached his fourth Hall of Fame Tennis Championships final as Alexander Bublik also moved into the decider.

Isner, a three-time champion of the ATP 250 event, edged past Ugo Humbert 6-7 (4-7) 7-6 (7-5) 6-3 in their semi-final on Saturday.

The American served 15 aces and claimed the only break of the match in the final set on the grass in Newport.

Humbert was unable to take his chances, failing to convert any of his seven break points in the defeat.

Bublik, 22, moved into his first ATP Tour final after overcoming Marcel Granollers.

The Kazakh battled to a 7-6 (7-5) 3-6 6-4 victory over Granollers despite serving 14 double faults.

Nicolas Jarry is a win away from his first career ATP singles title after breezing to victory over Federico Delbonis at the Swedish Open.

The Chilean has yet to drop a set on the clay in Bastad, keeping up his flawless record with a 6-3 6-2 defeat of Delbonis on Saturday.

After seeing off an Argentinian in the semi-final, he will face another in the showpiece, with Juan Ignacio Londero overcoming 2016 champion Albert Ramos Vinolas 6-3 6-4 to progress to the final.

"I am really looking forward to [the final]," said Jarry. "Juan Ignacio is a friend and he is playing really good this year. He already won his first ATP [Tour title] and I am looking for mine. It is going to be a tight match. I have to fight a lot.

"He is very fast. He is a grinder, so I have to play very aggressive and try to serve well. The key will be the returning games. I have to keep playing them well."

At the Croatia Open, qualifier Attila Balazs will play in his first ATP final after stunning third seed Laslo Djere, setting up a clash with Dusan Lajovic.

Balazs, who retired from tennis five years ago before having a change of heart, prevailed 6-2 6-4 against world number 32 Djere. Lajovic won the first set 7-5 against another qualifier, Salvatore Caruso, who retired with a leg injury ahead of the second set in Umag.

Bernard Tomic has failed to recoup the prize money he was docked at Wimbledon and the Australian was also hit with a verbal volley from the Grand Slam board.

Tomic had to hand back the £45,000 he was given for a 6-2 6-1 6-4 first-round thumping by Jo-Wilfried Tsonga at the All England Club this month due to a perceived lack of effort.

The world number 103 was dispatched by Tsonga in just 58 minutes - the shortest men's singles match at SW19 in 15 years - but Tomic stressed afterwards he was trying.

Tomic challenged the decision to take his prize purse off him, but not only was he unsuccessful with that appeal, he was also given a ticking off. 

Two years ago, the 26-year-old was also fined $15,000 (£11,581) after admitting he was "bored" in an opening-round loss to Mischa Zverev in the grass-court major.

Grand slam board director Bill Babcock wrote in a verdict letter that was published by the New York Times: "A review of your historical record of misconduct at grand slams, never mind elsewhere, provides little justification for an adjustment.

"In your case, Bernard, I am sure you would agree there is no historical evidence to give comfort to the theory that you can reform your behaviour."

Babcock added that Tomic will be refunded 25 per cent of his fine should he avoid a sanction in his next eight grand slam events.

However, Tomic intends to appeal the decision further, telling the New York Times: "I don't care about this 25 percent; I care about the right thing for players in the future."

John Isner once again got the better of Matthew Ebden at the Hall of Fame Tennis Championships to remain on course for a fourth title on the grass at Newport.

The big-serving American triumphed over Ebden in the 2017 final in straight sets and while he was taken the distance on Friday, eventually prevailed 4-6 6-3 6-4 thanks mainly to 24 aces.

Isner has now lost just once in six career meetings with the Australian, with his latest victory setting up a semi-final clash with Ugo Humbert, a 7-5 3-6 6-2 winner against Ilya Ivashka.

In the other half of the draw, Marcel Granollers picked up from where he left off on Thursday in his rain-delayed match with Mischa Zverev, triumphing 6-3 6-0. He will face seventh seed Alexander Bublik, who reached his first semi-final on the ATP Tour by beating American Tennys Sandgren.

At the Swedish Open in Bastad, last year's runner-up Richard Gasquet saw his bid for glory ended by Juan Ignacio Londero, who impressively saved seven of the nine break points he faced. His reward is a last-four clash with 2016 champion Albert Ramos-Vinolas.

Nicolas Jarry made it three successive straight-set victories at the tournament by easing past Jeremy Chardy, while Federico Delbonis progressed at the expense of Joao Sousa.

Attila Balazs continued his fine run at the Croatia Open Umag, the qualifier overcoming Stefano Travaglia in three sets to join seeds Dusan Lajovic and Laslo Djere – who defeated Aljaz Bedene and Leonardo Mayer respectively – in the semis along with Salvatore Caruso, who beat Facundo Bagnis.

Tim Henman believes Novak Djokovic can top Roger Federer's record grand slam haul after the Serbian beat the Swiss great in a historic Wimbledon final.

Djokovic retained his title at the All England Club with a 7-6 (7-5) 1-6 7-6 (7-4) 4-6 13-12 (7-3) victory last Sunday.

The world number one saved two match points before winning the longest singles final in the grass-court grand slam, in the first edition of the tournament since deciding-set tie-breaks were introduced at SW19.

Djokovic has won four of the last five major titles to move four behind Federer's record tally of 20 and two short of Rafael Nadal's total.

Henman, a six-time grand slam semi-finalist, thinks 32-year-old Djokovic could go on to surpass Nadal and Federer's haul of major triumphs.

The Brit, a HSBC ambassador, told Omnisport: "It's going to be very interesting to watch. He's [Djokovic] five years younger than Federer so he's got much more time on his side.

"The level of play that Djokovic is at right now, it really wouldn't surprise me if he did overtake Federer in the future."

Henman feels Federer, who turns 38 next month, has at least one more grand slam victory in him.

Asked if he thinks the epic final in London was Federer's last chance to win another major, he said: "I don't think so. I think it's very difficult to write these guys off that are playing at such a high level.

"Federer's not going to be around forever but I think it's important we all enjoy him while he's still playing."

Henman does not consider the classic showdown last weekend to be the greatest final he has seen, even if it ranks high up with his favourites.

He said: "It's got to be up there as one of the best finals of all time. I still think for me the 2008 Wimbledon final [between] Nadal and Federer was probably the best match I've ever seen but this was a close second."

 

- Tim Henman was talking on behalf of The Open patron HSBC. HSBC are once again offering free golf to children and their friends via the HSBC Hour which are taking place at over 500 clubs in the UK and Ireland. For more information, please visit: https://www.theopen.com/patrons/hsbc

Salvatore Caruso caused an upset by beating Borna Coric to move into the quarter-finals of the Croatia Open Umag, while Federico Delbonis shocked Pablo Cuevas in Bastad.

Italian Caruso overcame the second seed 6-2 3-6 6-1 to seal his spot in the last eight.

The qualifier will take on Facundo Bagnis after breaking five times and fending off as many break points to see off Coric, who was among the leading contenders to take the title in his homeland.

Fourth seed Dusan Lajovic got the better of Andrey Rublev 6-4 6-3, while Bagnis knocked out Nino Serdarusic 6-3 6-3. Aljaz Bedene also advanced at the expense of Jannik Sinner.

Cuevas was sent packing in the round of 16 at the Swedish Open, going down 6-4 6-4 in a South American battle with Delbonis.

Frenchman Richard Gasquet was made to work for a 4-6 6-3 6-4 victory over Dennis Novak and Juan Ignacio Londero fought back to oust Hugo Dellien 4-6 7-5 6-3.

Joao Sousa also came from a set down to see off Swede Elias Ymer 4-6 6-4 6-2.

At Newport, rain halted Thursday's play, with Marcel Granollers taking the first set over Mischa Zverev 6-3 in the only singles quarter-final to get started at the Hall of Fame Tennis Championships.

John Isner started his pursuit of a fourth Hall of Fame Tennis Championships title with a three-set win over Kamil Majchrzak in the last 16.

Top seed Isner reached the quarter-finals after outlasting his Polish opponent 6-4 6-7 (5-7) 6-3 on the grass at Newport on Wednesday.

Winner of the ATP 250 tournament in 2011, 2012 and 2017, Isner hit 25 aces and saved all five break points he faced.

"It wasn't easy, I played a long match, two hours and eight minutes. The conditions were brutal. It's windy and like 90 per cent humidity, so it was tough conditions out there," Isner said. "But I'm happy to claw through there because it wasn't pretty at times, that's for sure."

Next up for Isner is Matthew Ebden in a rematch of the 2017 final after the Australian defeated Denis Kudla 6-2 6-2.

While Isner progressed, seeds Adrian Mannarino and Jordan Thompson exited in the round of 16.

French second seed Mannarino was beaten by Tennys Sandgren 6-4 6-1, while third seed Thompson lost 6-2 7-6 (8-6) to Marcel Granollers.

It was not all bad news for the seeds as Ugo Humbert (fourth) and Alexander Bublik (seventh) advanced at the expense of Ramkumar Ramanathan and Viktor Troicki respectively.

Elsewhere, Mischa Zverev saw off Guido Andreozzi 6-4 6-4 and Christopher Eubanks lost 6-4 6-3 against Ilya Ivashka.

Top seed Christian Garin and second seed Fernando Verdasco were knocked out of the Swedish Open on an action-packed Wednesday.

World number 37 Garin was no match for Jeremy Chardy in the upset of the day, the Frenchman winning 6-4 6-4.

Chardy hit 12 aces in his triumph and won six of the last seven games in the second set to set up a meeting with Nicolas Jarry, who beat Mikael Ymer 7-5 6-3.

Verdasco was also a surprise loser, failing to exact revenge for his 2016 Swedish Open final defeat to fellow Spaniard Albert Ramos-Vinolas.

Ramos-Vinolas won that 2016 final in Bastad 6-3 6-4 and he nearly won by an identical score on Wednesday, posting a 6-2 6-4 triumph in one hour and 46 minutes.

Key to the world number 99's win was saving eight of a possible nine break points.

Ramos-Vinolas will next play another Spaniard, Roberto Carballes Baena, who posted a 6-1 7-6 (7-4) win over Damir Dzumhur.

Also on Wednesday, Leonardo Mayer fought back impressively to defeat Jiri Vesely in three sets at the Croatia Open in Umag.

In a match that lasted two hours and 12 minutes, Mayer won 3-6 6-4 6-4.

Attila Balazs was on court for even longer in Croatia, winning a tough encounter against sixth seed Filip Krajinovic 6-3 6-7 (1-7) 7-6 (7-5).

Stefano Travaglia progressed in an all-Italian affair, after he won the first set against Fabio Fognini, who retired early in the second.

And in the late match in Croatia, Lazlo Djere edged Paolo Lorenzi 6-3 3-6 6-4.

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.