Rumour Has It: Griezmann set for new contract at Barcelona

By Sports Desk October 22, 2020

Antoine Griezmann could be set to renew his contract at Barcelona.

The France international has faced criticism for failing to live up to expectations since joining Barca from Atletico Madrid last year.

However, Griezmann may join the list of players renewing with the LaLiga giants.

 

TOP STORY – GRIEZMANN SET FOR BARCELONA RENEWAL

Griezmann could be among the next group of players to renew at Barcelona, according to EFE.

It claims Sergio Busquets and Sergi Roberto may also re-sign, amid reports players are reducing their wages at the club.

It comes after Barcelona announced the re-signings of Marc-Andre ter Stegen, Gerard Pique, Frenkie de Jong and Clement Lenglet on Tuesday.

Griezmann scored 15 goals in 48 games for Barca last season, while he is yet to net in four appearances in 2020-21.

 

ROUND-UP

- A former Barcelona head coach could be set for a new job. Marca reports Palmeiras have made a move for Quique Setien after the departure of Vanderlei Luxemburgo.

- Despite signing Nathan Ake and Ruben Dias in the close season, Manchester City are reportedly look for another defender. Fabrizio Romano suggested the Premier League giants are monitoring Villarreal centre-back Pau Torres.

- Christian Eriksen's Inter future remains uncertain. CalcioMercato reports Inter turned down a loan bid from Borussia Dortmund in the close season, but the Serie A club could be open to the midfielder leaving in January.

- After Virgil van Dijk suffered a serious knee injury, Liverpool are linked with defenders. The Sun says Brighton and Hove Albion would demand at least £50million for Ben White if the Premier League champions make a move for the centre-back in January.

Related items

  • Modric eager to finish career at Real Madrid as he backs Zidane Modric eager to finish career at Real Madrid as he backs Zidane

    Luka Modric is eager to stay at Real Madrid beyond the expiry of his current contract and see out the rest of his career at Real Madrid despite seemingly losing his 'untouchable' status under Zinedine Zidane, whom he has defended from criticism.

    The 35-year-old Croatian will be able to discuss a free transfer away from the Santiago Bernabeu from January 1, with his deal set to run out in June.

    Modric recently dismissed the idea of returning to Tottenham – whom he left for Madrid in 2012 – at the end of the season, while the Spanish giants have reportedly delayed talks over a new deal until next year.

    The former Ballon d'Or winner remains an important player for Madrid, though he has perhaps lost a little regularity – last season he only started 22 LaLiga games, while he has been in the starting line-up just once in three Champions League matches this term.

    Modric accepts he cannot be completely sure about his future, though he seems in little doubt regarding his desire.

    When asked about the matches he has not started, Modric told reporters: "I feel good. These games you mention I didn't play in, it's the coach's decision. When I come on, I hope to help the team and do a good job."

    Regarding his future, he added: "I feel good, I feel strong, and I still have plenty of football in my legs and strengths to continue, but let's see what happens in the future.

    "A lot of people are talking and ask about my situation but let's see what happens. I'm calm. I just want to help the team like always.

    "I've said many times and I'll say it again, I'm very happy at Madrid and I'd love to end my career here, but let's see what happens.

    "Maybe you thought my answer was a bit cold because I've been asked many times and I've said the same answer many times. I feel good and I want to stay at Madrid for as long as I feel I can help the team.

    "Who wouldn't want to end their career at Real Madrid? But it depends on a lot of things. But there is no-one who'd be happier than me to continue at Real Madrid."

    Zidane's future – as it has been for much of his time back at the club – is also a little shrouded, with the Frenchman receiving criticism for Madrid's performances this season.

    Los Blancos are fourth in LaLiga after nine matches, six points behind leaders Real Sociedad with a game in hand, and are third in Champions League Group B.

    Nevertheless, Modric insists the coach has the team's backing ahead of Wednesday's trip to Inter, who are propping up the table.

    "It's not just recently we've defended the coach - we've always defended him since he came to Real Madrid," he said.

    "Every time they ask us about him, the criticism he receives, of course we're with him. We've never doubted him. We've won many things together and we hope this continues in the future.

    "It's normal we defend our coach; it's always been like that. We've won many things with him and I hope we continue to win things."

  • Zidane insists 'I'm no fatalist' as Real Madrid target crucial win at Inter Zidane insists 'I'm no fatalist' as Real Madrid target crucial win at Inter

    Zinedine Zidane insists Real Madrid will go to Inter to win despite injuries and a run of three victories in eight games placing the Spanish champions under scrutiny.

    Madrid are third in Champions League Group B, a point above the Nerazzurri, after winning the reverse fixture 3-2.

    A second group win of the season would put them in a strong position to progress, but they head to San Siro without captain Sergio Ramos, midfielder Federico Valverde or striker Karim Benzema.

    Madrid are also coming off the back of a 4-1 loss to Valencia and a 1-1 draw at Villarreal in their previous two LaLiga matches, while they have only won twice in their past seven games in Europe.

    Yet Zidane is not prepared to set his side out simply to avoid defeat despite the precarious nature of both the group and his squad of available players.

    "No, we always go out to win, we always want to win," he said. "We can't think about drawing or losing. All I'm telling you is the most important thing is to give everything on the pitch. We always go out onto the pitch to win.

    "Football is physical and mental and the mental part is just as important. My analysis is: this is football. There are moments you are very strong and you can bounce back and there are more difficult moments, like the general situation is now in this world we live in. It's correct we're going through a lower period.

    "It was a difficult game but it's not just Real Madrid. I think every team has had difficulties in this season.

    "The team started and ended the game well [against Inter] but it was difficult because we're playing very good teams. Against Villarreal, the same happened.

    "Winning the game until the 74th, 75th minute, but in one play, which can happen, they scored a goal. I'm not a fatalist; I just think this is part of football. We try to work and get better, which is key. We try not to concede and to score goals ourselves."

    The loss of Ramos is a particular concern as Madrid have suffered seven defeats in the past eight Champions League matches the centre-back has missed.

    "We know how important he is as a player, but we have to break this statistic," Zidane said. "Obviously, we'd like him to be here, but he's injured.

    "We're going to try to change that bad record because it's a final, it's three points, we know the situation in the group and we'll have to suffer, fight hard, but we're ready for it."

    Isco is part of the squad despite his agent suggesting the midfielder wants a move in January, but Zidane was not prepared to discuss the topic.

    "I'm not going to talk about rumours. Right now, he is our player and we're happy with him," he said.

  • Hulk return to Porto would make Villas-Boas 'very proud' Hulk return to Porto would make Villas-Boas 'very proud'

    Andre Villas-Boas says he and other Porto fans would be "very proud" if Hulk returns to the club.

    The Brazilian forward has been tipped to return to Estadio do Dragao in 2021 after suggesting in a social media post that he will not be renewing his contract with Shanghai SIPG.

    Hulk won 11 trophies with Porto, including four league titles and the 2010-11 Europa League, before moving to Zenit in 2012 for a reported fee of €60million.

    He moved to the Chinese Super League four years later and has won the domestic league title and FA Super Cup.

    Hulk played under Villas-Boas at Porto, Zenit and Shanghai SIPG, and the current Marseille head coach admits it would be something to celebrate if the 34-year-old returned to Portugal.

    "I worked with him at three different clubs," he said. "I just want Hulk to choose freely.

    "If he chooses Porto and Porto want it, it will probably be the last club of his career, and it will be something that makes us, Porto fans, very proud."

    Villas-Boas' Marseille face Porto in the Champions League on Wednesday knowing a victory is required if they are to keep alive their chances of reaching the last 16.

    The Ligue 1 side are bottom of Group C after losing their opening three games to Manchester City, Olympiacos and Porto, while they are the only team in this season's competition yet to score a goal.

    They have managed just four shots on target in the 2020-21 group stage, the fewest of any team, while they have created only 12 chances, the lowest number alongside Shakhtar Donetsk.

    Porto won the previous match 3-0 at home, but head coach Sergio Conceicao remains wary of underestimating their opponents.

    "There are six competitive, very difficult games, and this one is no exception," he said.

    "We have to look not only at the path [to qualify] but at the quality of them and their coach.

    "I'm not lowering our expectations, which are to go there and win, but nothing is decided."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.