Koeman confirms Dest medical and insists he has faith in Man Utd-linked Dembele

By Sports Desk September 30, 2020

Barcelona coach Ronald Koeman has confirmed Sergino Dest is having a medical with the club ahead of a potential move from Ajax.

The 19-year-old United States international has been strongly linked with a €25million move to either Barca or Bayern Munich, but it appears the Catalan club have won the race.

Dest, an attack-minded right-back, was spotted arriving in Barcelona on Tuesday, giving rise to increased speculation that the deal was practically closed.

And Koeman, who tried to persuade Dest to represent the Netherlands when he coached the Oranje, confirmed the teenager is having a medical as he plans to take the well-trodden path from Ajax to Camp Nou.

"Dest is doing his medical, we still have to sign [the contracts]," Koeman told reporters in his news conference on Wednesday. "Until he signs I will not comment

"We are going to have a young full-back – it is a matter of changing things and having young players for the future of the club is important.

"It is good because he has played in the Champions League and I am sure that, when all the contracts are signed, he will be very useful for Barca."

One player strongly linked with leaving Barca is Ousmane Dembele, who is reportedly being lined up by Manchester United as an alternative to Jadon Sancho.

The French winger has only been able to show glimpses of his ability since joining from Borussia Dortmund in 2017 due to injuries – in 2019-20 he featured just five times in LaLiga.

While Koeman claimed no knowledge of any potential transfer for Dembele, he insisted that he sees a future for him at Barca.

"Those decisions are made by the club and the player. As we have seen, I am going to count on him," Koeman added.

"He did not play from the start [against Villarreal] because there are more players and Ansu [Fati] has proven to be very good for this team.

"He was better physically the first few weeks, but today he trained well and I'm going to count on him."

Dembele's future could be tied to that of Memphis Depay, who is said to be Barca's primary target in attack, and while Koeman would not specifically name his compatriot when asked about signings, he made no secret of his desire to add options in that department.

"We have to analyse the squad, analyse what we lack," he continued. "We know that financially the club has its problems, like everyone else.

"There are one or two positions where we need to improve, and I'm not going to lie to you, we are working.

"There are options but it is very unsafe. The club is going to work hard. If not, we will use our players because I have no complaints with the ones we have.

"We want to have two or three players per position. We have put Leo [Lionel Messi] as a nine, [Antoine] Griezmann can play there, but they are different players. Martin [Braithwaite] is more than a nine and will have his chances but we want one more."

Related items

  • Rumour Has It: Man City eyeing Nagelsmann amid Guardiola doubts, Ramos-Madrid deadlocked Rumour Has It: Man City eyeing Nagelsmann amid Guardiola doubts, Ramos-Madrid deadlocked

    It remains to be seen whether Pep Guardiola will re-sign with Manchester City.

    Guardiola's contract expires at the end of the season in Manchester.

    Should the Spaniard decide to move on, there are already two men on the list to replace him.

     

    TOP STORY – CITY INTERESTED IN NAGELSMANN

    Manchester City are eyeing RB Leipzig head coach Julian Nagelsmann as a possible replacement for Pep Guardiola, according to the Daily Mail.

    Guardiola is out of contract at the end of the 2020-21 campaign and the City manager – who has been previously linked to Juventus – is no closer to re-signing.

    Should Guardiola decide to leave after arriving in 2016, Nagelsmann and former Tottenham boss Mauricio Pochettino are early candidates.

     

    ROUND-UP

    Sergio Ramos and LaLiga champions Real Madrid remain deadlocked over contract talks, claims the front page of Monday's Diario AS. The 34-year-old is set to become a free agent at the end of the season and he wants a two-year deal, though Madrid are only committed to 12 months.

    - Tuttosport reports Juve and Barcelona are both pursuing Ajax sensation Ryan Gravenberch. The 18-year-old midfielder emerged from Ajax's youth system in 2018.

    Barcelona will block a January loan offer from Ligue 1 holders Paris Saint-Germain for Riqui Puig, according to Mundo Deportivo.

    Kylian Mbappe extending his PSG contract has not been ruled out, claims L'Equipe. Tipped to eventually join Madrid, while the likes of Liverpool, Barca and Manchester United have also been linked, Mbappe could stay in Paris should certain conditions be met. The Frenchman is keen to see what unfolds in the next transfer windows.

  • Pirlo not worried ahead of Barcelona clash as Juventus held again Pirlo not worried ahead of Barcelona clash as Juventus held again

    Andrea Pirlo insisted he was unworried about Barcelona after Juventus were held to another draw in Serie A.

    Juve needed a 77th-minute equaliser from Dejan Kulusevski to earn a 1-1 draw at home to Hellas Verona, who went ahead through Andrea Favilli on Sunday.

    The Serie A champions are winless in two consecutive league games against Verona for the first time since 1989 as Juve moved onto nine points through five games.

    Juve host Barca in the Champions League on Wednesday, but Pirlo was unfazed, saying he expected a different type of game.

    "No, I am not worried ahead of Barcelona, because they're two completely different games, with two different styles of play," the Juve head coach told a news conference.

    "As I said earlier, Atalanta like Verona play in a completely different way compared to Barcelona, therefore when you play against this kind of team it's a kind of game of its own.

    "You have to try and do certain things, which we tried to do during the game."

    The result left Juve three points behind leaders Milan, who host Roma on Monday.

    But Pirlo, who only took charge in August, is remaining upbeat about the direction his side are heading in.

    "No, I am not worried [about the draws] because we are under construction," he said.

    "Of course, we're sorry we're dropping points along the way, but we're on the right path and we are building a long-term project.

    "It's only the fifth game we play together and for our future I can only see positive things."

  • Van de Beek shouldn't have joined Man Utd – Van Basten Van de Beek shouldn't have joined Man Utd – Van Basten

    Donny van de Beek should not have joined Manchester United as he struggles for game time at Old Trafford, insisted Dutch great Marco van Basten.

    Van de Beek is yet to start a Premier League match for United after arriving from Eredivisie champions Ajax at the start of the season in a deal that could rise to £39.1million (€44m).

    An unused substitute in Saturday's goalless draw with Chelsea, Van de Beek has only played 60 minutes of football in four Premier League matches amid growing doubts in Manchester.

    Van de Beek, who was previously tipped to join Real Madrid, played the final two minutes of United's Champions League win at Paris Saint-Germain, while the 23-year-old started both EFL Cup games, having scored off the bench in the club's Premier League opener.

    Legendary former Ajax, Milan and Netherlands striker Van Basten discussed Van de Beek's situation at the Theatre of Dreams.

    "Donny should not have gone to Manchester United," Van Basten said on Ziggo Sport' 'Rondo'. "When you are a good player you want to play every week.

    "It is really bad for a player like Donny to play only six or seven games this year. That is shocking for your match rhythm.

    "I know he is earning loads and loads more than he used to.

    "But as a top player you have to be critical and look at the chances of playing when you sign for a new club.

    "Donny should have waited for better prospects and signed for another club."

    Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's midfield options include stars Bruno Fernandes, Paul Pogba, Fred, Nemanja Matic and Scott McTominay.

    Solskjaer has preferred a midfield duo of Fred and McTominay just behind Fernandes in games against Chelsea, PSG and Newcastle United, with Pogba on the bench.

    In his limited Premier League minutes, Van de Beek has a passing accuracy of 83.33 per cent – better than Pogba and Fernandes, while his chances created – one – is the same amount as Pogba, Fred and Matic.

    United host RB Leipzig in Champions League action on Wednesday, before welcoming Arsenal to Manchester in the Premier League on Sunday.

    The Red Devils are 15th in the Premier League through five matchdays, six points off the pace.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.