Jovic? We'll see – Zidane asked about Madrid forward amid Man Utd links

By Sports Desk September 29, 2020

Real Madrid head coach Zinedine Zidane addressed speculation over Luka Jovic's future amid links to Manchester United and clubs in Serie A.

Jovic has struggled for game time since his €60million arrival from Eintracht Frankfurt in June last year, with form, fitness and Zidane's preference to play Karim Benzema up front hindering the Serbia international.

United have emerged as a loan option for Jovic, while Roma, Milan and Inter have also been linked with temporary moves for the 22-year-old.

Asked about Jovic – who was handed a rare start alongside Benzema in the 3-2 win over Real Betis last week – on the eve of Madrid's LaLiga clash against Real Valladolid, Zidane told reporters: "You have to take everything into account.

"Until the fifth [of October], the market is open. We will see.

"The players are fine and that's what interests me."

Jovic endured a turbulent first season with Madrid in 2019-20 following his big-money arrival from Bundesliga outfit Eintracht, managing just two goals in 25 appearances.

The former Red Star Belgrade and Benfica forward was prised from Germany after scoring 27 goals in 2018-19 as Eintracht reached the Europa League semi-final.

Madrid have four points from two games to sit seventh in LaLiga, three points behind leaders Getafe – who have played three matches.

Related items

  • Ronaldo clear of COVID-19 after negative test result Ronaldo clear of COVID-19 after negative test result

    Juventus could have Cristiano Ronaldo available for Sunday's Serie A clash with Spezia after the club announced he has recovered from COVID-19.

    The Portugal forward had been self-isolating since testing positive for the virus while away on international duty in early October. 

    Ronaldo has not played for Juve since a 2-2 draw against Roma at the end of September, and this week missed a reunion with Barcelona adversary Lionel Messi in the Champions League. 

    A statement from Juventus said: "Cristiano Ronaldo carried out the check with a diagnostic test (swab) for COVID-19. 

    "The examination gave a negative result. The player is therefore cured after 19 days and is no longer subjected to home isolation."

  • England World Cup winner Nobby Stiles dies aged 78 England World Cup winner Nobby Stiles dies aged 78

    England World Cup winner and former Manchester United player Nobby Stiles has died at the age of 78.

    Stiles' family confirmed that the one-time midfielder passed away peacefully on Friday after a long illness.

    Manchester-born Stiles earned 28 caps for England and was a big part of the squad that won the World Cup in 1966.

    Two years later, he was part of the United side that became the first English club to win the European Cup.

    He made almost 400 appearances for United in all competitions across an 11-year spell at Old Trafford and went on to play for Middlesbrough and Preston North End, before hanging up his boots in 1975.

    A statement from United read: "We are extremely saddened to learn of the passing of Nobby Stiles MBE.

    "An integral part of our first-ever European Cup-winning side, Nobby was a titan of the club's history, cherished for his heart and personality on and off the pitch. He will be sorely missed by us all."

    The England national team Twitter account posted: "We're incredibly saddened to learn of the passing of Nobby Stiles, a key member of our World Cup-winning squad, at the age of 78. All of our thoughts are with Nobby's loved ones."

    Former England striker Gary Lineker was also among those to pay tribute to Stiles on social media, tweeting: "Saddened to hear that Nobby Stiles has passed away.

    "Another of our 1966 World Cup winning heroes leaves us. He had a heart that was even bigger than the gap in his teeth. RIP Nobby."

  • Paris Saint-Germain president Nasser Al-Khelaifi acquitted in Swiss corruption trial Paris Saint-Germain president Nasser Al-Khelaifi acquitted in Swiss corruption trial

    Paris Saint-Germain president Nasser Al-Khelaifi is glad to have "completely cleared my name" after being acquitted by a Swiss court of inciting aggravated criminal mismanagement.

    Al-Khelaifi had been charged in a case relating to beIN Media Group's allocation of television rights for the 2026 and 2030 World Cups.

    The case also involved ex-FIFA general secretary Jerome Valcke, who was found guilty of forging documents relating to separate media rights and given a 120-day suspended prison sentence.

    A statement from PSG chief Al-Khelaifi, who is also part of UEFA's executive committee, read: "Today's verdict is a total vindication.

    "After a relentless four-year campaign against me that ignored the basic facts and the law at every turn, I have finally, fully and completely cleared my name.

    "It restores my faith in the rule of law and in due process, after four years of baseless allegations, fictitious charges and constant smears of my reputation - all of which have been proven to be completely and wholly unsubstantiated."

    He added: "I can now devote all my energy to my various roles, which are all focused on building a positive future for world sport - at a time when the industry needs strong leadership the most."

     

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.