Barcelona and Real Madrid-linked forward Lautaro Martinez staying at Inter, says agent

By Sports Desk September 14, 2020

Lautaro Martinez is staying at Inter despite rumoured interest from Real Madrid and Barcelona, according to the player's agent Carlos Beto Yaque.

Barcelona have been strongly linked with the Argentina international for a number of months, while LaLiga rivals Madrid have also recently been credited with an interest.

A couple of members of Martinez's entourage were seen entering Inter's headquarters on Monday, with reports in Italy suggesting Madrid had a bid accepted over the weekend. 

However, agent Beto Yaque insisted it was a routine meeting and the 23-year-old will remain at San Siro beyond the end of the transfer window.

"It was just a courtesy visit, that is all," he told Tuttomercatoweb. "There is nothing with Real Madrid and Barcelona. Lautaro is staying here at Inter."

Martinez scored 21 goals in all competitions as Inter finished second in Serie A and reached the Europa League final last season.

His €111million (£98.8m) release clause expired in July and he has three more years to run on his existing deal.

Related items

  • Borussia Dortmund midfielder Reinier tests positive for coronavirus Borussia Dortmund midfielder Reinier tests positive for coronavirus

    Borussia Dortmund midfielder Reinier has tested positive for coronavirus, the German club have announced.

    The 18-year-old, who joined Dortmund on a two-year loan deal from Real Madrid in August, underwent PCR tests for COVID-19 upon his return from international duty with Brazil Under-23s last week.

    Reinier was not part of Dortmund's squad for their Bundesliga win over Hertha Berlin at the weekend and no other BVB players have tested positive.

    Dortmund confirmed the news on Monday, a day before their Champions League match with Club Brugge, and added that the teenager is asymptomatic and is now self-isolating.

    He has been used seven times by Lucien Favre, each of those appearances coming from the bench.

    Reinier, who won the Campeonato Brasileiro and Copa Libertadores with Flamengo in 2019, has yet to score, assist or create a chance in his three Bundesliga outings and has managed just one shot.

    Tuesday's meeting with Brugge is the first of three home games in a row for Dortmund, with Koln and Lazio to come in the next nine days.

  • Neymar and Mbappe need to step up against Leipzig - Tuchel Neymar and Mbappe need to step up against Leipzig - Tuchel

    Thomas Tuchel says Paris Saint-Germain need Neymar and Kylian Mbappe to be on top of their game if they are to beat RB Leipzig in Tuesday's huge Champions League clash.

    Last season's finalists trail Group H pacesetters Manchester United and Leipzig by three points at the midway stage after losing to both teams in their opening three matches, either side of beating Istanbul Basaksehir.

    PSG will be facing the prospect of making an early exit from the competition if they lose at home to the Bundesliga club and under-fire head coach Tuchel is willing to risk the fitness of Neymar for a match he has described as a "final".

    Neymar missed three PSG games with a groin injury and was released from Brazil duty before being given 30 minutes from the bench in Friday's 3-2 loss to Monaco - a result that increased the pressure on Tuchel.

    The forward, who has two goals in seven appearances this term, will start against Leipzig at the Parc des Princes in a repeat of last season's semi-final.

    "We need him. He needs to be on the pitch for us," Tuchel said at a news conference on Monday. "He has the quality and the experience.

    "He is not in the best shape physically but he will start tomorrow. He can manage that both physically and mentally, though I hope we don't depend on him."

    Mbappe scored PSG's two goals in their defeat to Monaco but is without a Champions League goal in 2020, failing to score in 529 minutes across seven appearances in the competition since netting against Galatasaray last December.

    "If Neymar or Kylian don't score, of course it has an impact for us," Tuchel said. "I hope they score tomorrow. We need Kylian's goals. He is doing everything possible to be decisive.

    "He played with the France team. Against Monaco, he scored two goals. Now is the time for him, as well as for Ney, to be decisive again."

    Tuchel started with Neymar, Mbappe, Angel Di Maria and Moise Kean for the win over Basaksehir and has hinted he may go with a similar attack-minded system against Leipzig.

    "It is of course a possibility," he said. "We want to win - it's a final in the group. I absolutely want us to have more courage to score than fear to have problems defensively. 

    "It will take courage to score, so it's a possibility. We must find two players in the middle capable of making the effort if we play with a 4-4-2. 

    "But it is also possible that we play in 4-3-3. We used it in Leipzig as well as in the knockout stages last season. There are two possibilities, we will wait to see who is available."

    However, Tuchel will have to make do without Mauro Icardi, Julian Draxler, Idrissa Gueye, Juan Bernat and Thilo Kehrer, while Ander Herrera and Marco Verratti will be assessed later on Monday.

    PSG have lost four of their last six games against German opponents in the Champions League, including each of the last two - 1-0 v Bayern Munich and 2-1 v Leipzig.

  • Koeman eyeing new centre-back as Barcelona delay Pique surgery decision Koeman eyeing new centre-back as Barcelona delay Pique surgery decision

    Barcelona head coach Ronald Koeman is open to signing a new centre-back in January to compensate for the loss of Gerard Pique to a potential long-term injury.

    Pique hobbled off during the second half of Barca's 1-0 LaLiga loss to Atletico Madrid on Saturday with knee ligament damage.

    There are fears that the injury may keep the Spain international sidelined for the next six months, effectively ruling him out for the rest of the campaign.

    Knee surgeon specialist Dr. Ramon Cugat, who recently operated on Ansu Fati, has revealed he will meet with Pique on Wednesday and a decision will be made on whether he should go under the knife.

    "It is a lot to discuss how long he will be out because every knee is different," Cugat told Mundo Deportivo. "We must be prudent, discuss it with the player and then decide.

    "We still don't know which treatment we will use, whether surgical or not. The objective is to make the knee as stable as possible."

    Providing a further update on the damage sustained by Pique at the weekend, Cugat added: "In additional to the cruciate injury, he has injured the internal lateral ligament.

    "That can be cured with biological therapies. In this case there is no fluid on the knee, which plays in favour of possible conservative treatment, rather than surgery."

    Pique has featured 10 times in all competitions for Barcelona this term and has been a key man at the back since returning to the club in 2008.

    Since the start of the 2018-19 season, Barca have failed to win any of the three LaLiga games Pique has not started, conceding an average of two goals a game compared to 0.9 when he is in the side.

    And Koeman says it is possible the Catalan giants will strengthen at the back when the transfer window reopens in January.

    "We know that it is an important loss for us, and possibly for some time," Koeman said. "We are looking and have previously looked. 

    "One of those positions we are looking at is that central issue. But today we cannot do anything. If there is any possibility we can then I will have to talk to the club.

    "He has been here for many years, he has a huge personality and it is a significant loss. It is sad for the team and for the club. It is difficult, but we have to accept and see how we solve this issue."

    Koeman is also without Samuel Umtiti, Ronald Araujo and Sergi Roberto, while makeshift centre-backs Sergio Busquets and Frenkie de Jong are not in contention to face Dynamo Kiev.

    Academy product Oscar Mingueza has been promoted from the B team and is part of Barca's 19-man squad for Tuesday's Champions League clash in Ukraine.

    "It is possible that he will play," Koeman, who has also taken the decision to rest Lionel Messi, said at a pre-match news conference on Monday.

    "We cannot risk Araujo when you take into account how few centre-backs we have."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.