Savo Milosevic leaves Partizan Belgrade, replaced by former boss

By Sports Desk September 02, 2020

Serbian great Savo Milosevic resigned as Partizan Belgrade head coach on Tuesday, the Serbian giants announced.

Milosevic decided to walk away following Partizan's 3-2 loss at Vojvodina on Sunday, the club immediately appointing former boss Aleksandar Stanojevic.

The 46-year-old Milosevic hurled a bottle at the referee during the match as Partizan suffered their second defeat of the season and dropped six points adrift of city rivals and SuperLiga champions Red Star Belgrade.

In his first senior coaching role, former Serbia and Aston Villa striker Milosevic led boyhood club Partizan to Serbian Cup glory in his debut season, while his team also made the final in 2019-20.

Upon in his appointment in March last year, Milosevic – who scored 37 goals in 102 international appearances – told Stats Perform News that legendary former Manchester United manager Alex Ferguson convinced him to take up coaching.

"Ferguson and all of them then talked to me, convincing me that I should start as a coach, that I have this thing to become a coach," said Milosevic, who joined Partizan as a 14-year-old and made his senior debut in 1992 before scoring 74 goals and winning two league titles and a cup prior to his switch to Aston Villa in 1995.

"I started to think it. I started my pro license two years ago and that's how everything went.

"I was analysing the Euros. I analysed 12 games. Then I realised I could do that really good."

Partizan have now turned to Stanojevic, who led the club between 2010 and 2012 – winning two league crowns and one Serbian Cup, while leading the Belgrade side to the Champions League group stage.

Related items

  • Goretzka ready to open contract talks with Bayern Munich Goretzka ready to open contract talks with Bayern Munich

    Leon Goretzka has yet to sit down with Bayern Munich for contract talks but would be ready to hold discussions with the club.

    The Germany midfielder has been a regular since joining Bayern from Schalke in 2018 and still has around 18 months to run on his existing deal.

    He featured 38 times in last season's treble-winning campaign and has been used on 10 occasions in all competitions already in 2020-21.

    No Bayern player has recovered the ball more often than Goretzka in the Bundesliga this term (10.47 per game) and only Javi Martinez has more interceptions (3.03 per game compared to 2.76).

    Bayern have struggled to tie down fellow key player David Alaba to a new deal, the messy saga being played out in public in recent weeks, while Thiago Alcantata recently left for Liverpool when he had just a year remaining on his contract.

    But Goretzka, who previously spent five seasons with fellow Bundesliga side Schalke, is open to talking over fresh terms.

    "So far there have been no discussions held with me," he said at a news conference ahead of Wednesday's Champions League clash with Salzburg.

    "I'm under contract for another year and a half so there is not a lot of pressure.

    "But if Brazzo [sporting director Hasan Salihamidzic] or Hansi [Flick] approach me in the next few weeks then I will not refuse to talk to them."

    Goretzka has also started all four of Germany's Nations League matches this year, playing an hour of last week's humbling 6-0 loss against Spain.

    It was Germany's heaviest defeat since they lost to Austria in a friendly in 1931 by the same scoreline and has led to questions being asked of long-serving boss Joachim Low.

    The German Football Association this week announced it would give Low time before assessing his future and Goretzka can understand the furore surrounding the defeat.

    "If you lose a game that high then it is normal in our business to be criticised," he said. "I didn't exactly wake up the next morning with a good feeling, either.

    "For me personally, it was about processing the loss, taking some time and then switching focus back to challenges at Bayern."

  • Ibrahimovic must show he wants return to Sweden squad - Andersson Ibrahimovic must show he wants return to Sweden squad - Andersson

    Zlatan Ibrahimovic must prove he wants to play for Sweden again before head coach Janne Andersson considers recalling the in-form Milan striker.

    The 39-year-old recently hinted he is ready to end his international retirement by posting an image of himself in a Sweden top on social media, captioned: "Long time no see".

    However, Andersson was quick to rule out a return earlier this month after leaving Ibrahimovic out of his latest squad and stating that "the matter is closed".

    With Ibrahimovic lighting up Serie A once again this term, though, Andersson appears to have paved the way for a sensational return ahead of next year's rearranged Euro 2020.

    "First, it is necessary that he himself wants to be involved in the national team project," Andersson told Aftonbladet. "In 2016 he told me clearly he no longer wants to be part of it.

    "I respected his choice then and over the years since. He has to be the one who says he wants to come back. If that is the case, it will then be up to me to decide."

    Ibrahimovic is Sweden's all-time leading scorer with 62 goals in 116 matches but has not played for the Nordic nation since a 1-0 defeat to Belgium at Euro 2016.

    And Andersson questioned whether the former Paris Saint-Germain and Manchester United star is serious about reversing his international hiatus.

    "We haven't seen each other for a while," Andersson said. "I don't follow him on social media, but in any case I don't care what he says on there or how he says it.

    "I know what he told me and what we agreed when he left the national team. Since then, nothing has changed from my perspective."

    After two years in MLS with Los Angeles Galaxy, Ibrahimovic returned to European football with Milan in January on an initial six-month deal that has been extended until the end of 2020-21.

    He has been in phenomenal form in his second spell with the Italian giants, scoring 20 times in 24 Serie A outings this calendar year - only Ciro Immobile (23 in 27) and Cristiano Ronaldo (29 in 24) have managed more.

    The evergreen striker scored twice in Milan's 3-1 win over Napoli on Sunday before limping off with a hamstring injury, becoming the oldest player to net at least 10 goals in the first eight Serie A matchdays.

    His brace also saw him match Gunnar Nordahl for the second-most Serie A goals from the first eight games played of a season, only adrift of Marco Van Basten (12 in 1992-93).

    "I can't say I'm so surprised," Andersson said. "If I were, it would mean I didn't believe in his potential. I'm very impressed Zlatan can continue to have this hunger and drive.

    "He is really impressive, a great athlete, and by far Sweden's greatest player of all time. It is amazing what he is accomplishing, so hat off and congratulations to him."

  • Flick hopeful on Bayern's Hernandez but Sule's out for Salzburg game Flick hopeful on Bayern's Hernandez but Sule's out for Salzburg game

    Hansi Flick is hopeful Lucas Hernandez can feature in Bayern Munich's Champions League clash against Salzburg but confirmed Niklas Sule remains absent.

    France international Hernandez lasted just 18 minutes of the 1-1 Bundesliga draw against Werder Bremen at the weekend before being taken off with a pelvic injury.

    With Alphonso Davies also out with a long-term ankle problem, Leon Goretzka ended up filling the defensive void against Bremen.

    Head coach Flick will take a late decision on Hernandez but Corentin Tolisso and Bouna Sarr are both out of Wednesday's game.

    "We hope Lucas Hernandez can feature tomorrow, but Corentin Tolisso and Bouna Sarr will not be ready for tomorrow," Flick told a news conference. 

    Flick was reluctant to give away too much about who could fill in at full-back if Hernandez does not make it.

    "We have a few options. You will understand that I am not going to reveal too much now," he said.

    Centre-back Sule did not play against Bremen, with German publication Bild suggesting his omission was to do with Flick's concern about his fitness levels.

    Sule missed most of last season with a serious knee injury and tested positive for COVID-19 earlier this month, but Flick said he may be involved against Stuttgart at the weekend.

    "Niklas Sule will also not be available tomorrow. We're hoping he will be by the weekend," Flick added.

    "He had two serious injuries. It is important that he is 100 per cent fit, we need his qualities.

    "He was in quarantine for eight days. The national team doesn't train as intensively as we do. He still has to catch up. Tomorrow he won't be there. We look from day to day."

    Holders Bayern are top of Group A and would guarantee their progression from the group stages with a win at the Allianz Arena.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.