Rumour Has It: Barca planning Messi compromise with City, Man Utd favourites to sign Van de Beek

By Sports Desk August 30, 2020

A Pep Guardiola and Lionel Messi reunion in Manchester?

Barcelona captain Messi has handed in a transfer request and he wants to team up with former boss Guardiola at Manchester City.

But can City and Barca reach a deal?

 

TOP STORY – BARCA WANT MESSI COMPROMISE

Barcelona believe Lionel Messi is set to join Manchester City but the embattled LaLiga giants are eyeing a £250million (€280m) compromise, according to the Mirror.

Messi wants to leave Barca and the six-time Ballon d'Or winner has been linked to the likes of City, Inter, Juventus and Paris Saint-Germain.

However, City feel they are on the brink of luring Messi to Manchester and Barca are desperately trying to recoup a fee, with the Argentina superstar hoping to leave on a free transfer.

Meanwhile, widespread reports claim Messi has told Barca he will not be attending pre-season testing on Sunday.

 

ROUND-UP

- ESPN claims Manchester United are favourites to sign Ajax midfielder Donny van de Beek. The Dutch star has been linked to Barca and Real Madrid but United are in pole position to land the 23-year-old.

- Thiago Alcantara remains interested in moving to the Premier League but Liverpool are yet to make a bid for the Bayern Munich star, claims Fabrizio Romano.

- Goal says Chelsea have made a €20m (£18m) bid for Rennes goalkeeper Edouard Mendy amid doubts over Kepa Arrizabalaga.

Everton are targeting United goalkeeper Sergio Romero, reports the Mirror. The Argentina international – backup to David de Gea – has also been linked to newly promoted Leeds United. It comes as Sky Sport reports Everton have reached a deal to sign Allan from Napoli.

- According to Tuttosport, Barca forward Luis Suarez is pushing for a move to Serie A champions Juve. The Uruguayan has been told he can leave the Spanish club.

- Brescia sensation Sandro Tonali has said yes to a move to Milan, reports La Gazzetta Sportiva. Inter had been favourites to sign Tonali but city rivals Milan appear poised to land the Italy international.

Related items

  • Ronaldo clear of COVID-19 after negative test result Ronaldo clear of COVID-19 after negative test result

    Juventus could have Cristiano Ronaldo available for Sunday's Serie A clash with Spezia after the club announced he has recovered from COVID-19.

    The Portugal forward had been self-isolating since testing positive for the virus while away on international duty in early October. 

    Ronaldo has not played for Juve since a 2-2 draw against Roma at the end of September, and this week missed a reunion with Barcelona adversary Lionel Messi in the Champions League. 

    A statement from Juventus said: "Cristiano Ronaldo carried out the check with a diagnostic test (swab) for COVID-19. 

    "The examination gave a negative result. The player is therefore cured after 19 days and is no longer subjected to home isolation."

  • England World Cup winner Nobby Stiles dies aged 78 England World Cup winner Nobby Stiles dies aged 78

    England World Cup winner and former Manchester United player Nobby Stiles has died at the age of 78.

    Stiles' family confirmed that the one-time midfielder passed away peacefully on Friday after a long illness.

    Manchester-born Stiles earned 28 caps for England and was a big part of the squad that won the World Cup in 1966.

    Two years later, he was part of the United side that became the first English club to win the European Cup.

    He made almost 400 appearances for United in all competitions across an 11-year spell at Old Trafford and went on to play for Middlesbrough and Preston North End, before hanging up his boots in 1975.

    A statement from United read: "We are extremely saddened to learn of the passing of Nobby Stiles MBE.

    "An integral part of our first-ever European Cup-winning side, Nobby was a titan of the club's history, cherished for his heart and personality on and off the pitch. He will be sorely missed by us all."

    The England national team Twitter account posted: "We're incredibly saddened to learn of the passing of Nobby Stiles, a key member of our World Cup-winning squad, at the age of 78. All of our thoughts are with Nobby's loved ones."

    Former England striker Gary Lineker was also among those to pay tribute to Stiles on social media, tweeting: "Saddened to hear that Nobby Stiles has passed away.

    "Another of our 1966 World Cup winning heroes leaves us. He had a heart that was even bigger than the gap in his teeth. RIP Nobby."

  • Paris Saint-Germain president Nasser Al-Khelaifi acquitted in Swiss corruption trial Paris Saint-Germain president Nasser Al-Khelaifi acquitted in Swiss corruption trial

    Paris Saint-Germain president Nasser Al-Khelaifi is glad to have "completely cleared my name" after being acquitted by a Swiss court of inciting aggravated criminal mismanagement.

    Al-Khelaifi had been charged in a case relating to beIN Media Group's allocation of television rights for the 2026 and 2030 World Cups.

    The case also involved ex-FIFA general secretary Jerome Valcke, who was found guilty of forging documents relating to separate media rights and given a 120-day suspended prison sentence.

    A statement from PSG chief Al-Khelaifi, who is also part of UEFA's executive committee, read: "Today's verdict is a total vindication.

    "After a relentless four-year campaign against me that ignored the basic facts and the law at every turn, I have finally, fully and completely cleared my name.

    "It restores my faith in the rule of law and in due process, after four years of baseless allegations, fictitious charges and constant smears of my reputation - all of which have been proven to be completely and wholly unsubstantiated."

    He added: "I can now devote all my energy to my various roles, which are all focused on building a positive future for world sport - at a time when the industry needs strong leadership the most."

     

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.