Perisic to discuss future with Inter

By Sports Desk August 24, 2020

Ivan Perisic suggested he is open to resurrecting his Inter career after signing off at Bayern Munich with Champions League glory. 

Croatia international Perisic enjoyed a productive season-long loan in Bavaria, lifting the Bundesliga and DFL-Pokal before claiming European football's biggest club prize. 

He started each of Bayern's quarter-final and semi-final triumphs against Barcelona and Lyon, scoring in the former, before reverting to the bench for Sunday's showdown with Paris Saint-Germain in Lisbon. 

That decision from Hansi Flick ultimately proved inspired as Kingsley Coman, Perisic's replacement, headed the only goal after half-time. 

Perisic appeared as a second-half substitute and told Sky Sport he regretted not tasting similar success with Inter, who he joined in 2015. 

"It's a pity I haven't done something like this with Inter in recent years, but now I'm happy," he said. 

"I still have two years on my contract with the Nerazzurri, let's see what happens. We have to meet." 

Leroy Sane being added to Bayern's first-team options for next season suggests a permanent move for Perisic might not be necessary. 

However, events in Milan could fall in his favour, with Antonio Conte's future as Inter head coach uncertain following Friday's 3-2 Europa League final loss to Sevilla. 

Conte's preference for a 3-5-2 system saw Perisic cast aside last year, with the former Italy and Chelsea boss bemoaning his inability to adapt to the demands of that formation. 

"We're working with him, but his response isn't positive," Conte said after a 1-0 friendly loss to Manchester United in Singapore last July. 

"Perisic can't play in the role that I want. Therefore, he can only play as a striker right now." 

Related items

  • Rumour Has It: Real Madrid's Zidane facing sack, Barca lead Juve in Traore chase Rumour Has It: Real Madrid's Zidane facing sack, Barca lead Juve in Traore chase

    Zinedine Zidane led Real Madrid to LaLiga glory last season as Los Blancos dethroned bitter rivals Barcelona.

    But, Zidane's position is far from certain amid a run of consecutive defeats in 2020-21.

    Madrid are reportedly willing to part with their head coach if he cannot arrest the club's slump.

     

    TOP STORY – ZIDANE FACING SACK

    Real Madrid head coach Zinedine Zidane could be sacked if results do not improve in the team's next two games, according to L'Equipe.

    Zidane is under mounting pressure following back-to-back defeats after Madrid were stunned by newly promoted Cadiz in LaLiga and shocked by Shakhtar Donetsk in the Champions League.

    The Frenchman – in his second spell in charge of the Spanish capital club – is facing a crucial period ahead of Saturday's Clasico against Barcelona and a Champions League date with Borussia Monchengladbach.

    Madrid great Zidane has guided Los Blancos to two LaLiga titles and three Champions League trophies during his time in charge.

     

    ROUND-UP

    - Calciomercato says Barcelona are ahead of Serie A titleholders Juventus in the race to sign Wolves star Adama Traore. The Spanish speedster has also been linked to Premier League champions Liverpool and Manchester City.

    Manchester United and Chelsea are set to rival Bundesliga champions Bayern Munich for Gladbach midfielder Denis Zakaria, reports Bild.

    - Calciomercato reports Milan are looking to sign Dinamo Zagreb midfielder Lovro Majer. The 22-year-old has already been linked with Borussia Dortmund, Fiorentina, Leeds United, Valencia and Sevilla.

  • Darwin Nunez will eclipse Joao Felix €126m transfer as Benfica boss braces for exit Darwin Nunez will eclipse Joao Felix €126m transfer as Benfica boss braces for exit

    Benfica head coach Jorge Jesus believes Darwin Nunez will surpass Joao Felix as the club's most expensive sale after hailing the hat-trick hero following his Europa League exploits.

    Nunez opened his account for Benfica with a three-goal haul as the Portuguese powerhouse defeated Lech Poznan 4-2 in their Europa League opener on Thursday.

    The 21-year-old Uruguay forward became Benfica's most expensive signing when he arrived from Almeria in a €24million deal in September.

    Jesus is already bracing for Nunez's exit, tipping his transfer fee to surpass the club-record €126m Benfica received from Atletico Madrid for Joao Felix last year.

    "We got it right. We must not forget that he is a kid, he is 21 years old, there is a lot about the game that he does not know yet. He will learn with me and Benfica," Jesus told SportTV.

    All this decision-making ability, finishing and speed… He was Benfica's most expensive purchase, and when there is no pandemic, he will be the most expensive sale. He will be a world-class player.

    "Unfortunately for me, maybe I will lose him in a short time."

    Benfica's Nunez scored with all three shots on target away to Polish side Lech Poznan.

    Nunez made it 2-1 for Benfica three minutes prior to half-time before netting his second of the match on the hour-mark as he completed his hat-trick in the third minute of stoppage time.

    "Three goals? It means a lot to me," Nunez told SIC. "When I don't score, I try to help the team. I haven't scored for five games, but I worked for the team.

    "From the first moment the team gave me confidence. They think I deserved these goals. I am very happy.

    "I thought I was going to score my first goal. I didn't expect the three goals, but thankfully. Now it's time to continue working with humility. It's a difficult series now and we have to prepare ourselves in the best way."

  • Former Italy and World Cup-winning boss Lippi: I'm done coaching Former Italy and World Cup-winning boss Lippi: I'm done coaching

    Former Italy, Juventus and World Cup-winning boss Marcello Lippi said he is "definitely done" with coaching.

    Lippi has been without a job since resigning as China head coach in November last year following a 2022 World Cup qualifying defeat to Syria – his second stint in charge of the Asian nation lasting just six months.

    The 72-year-old tasted silverware with Italy, Serie A giants Juventus and Chinese powerhouse Guangzhou Evergrande but the Italian great will not be returning to the dugout.

    "I'm definitely done with the coaching job," Lippi told Radio Sportiva. "That's right, it's enough.

    "Maybe I could be useful in other roles, let's see. But nothing until spring."

    After spells with Atalanta and Napoli, Lippi took charge of Juventus in 1994 – guiding the Bianconeri to three Serie A titles and the club's last Champions League trophy in 1995-96.

    Across two stints as Juve coach, sandwiched in between a one-year tenure with rivals Inter, Lippi won five Serie A trophies, four Supercoppa Italiana crowns, the Champions League, UEFA Super Cup, Intercontinental Cup and Coppa Italia.

    After leaving Juventus in 2004, Lippi helped Italy to World Cup glory in 2006 and he was re-appointed by the Azzurri in 2008 following two years away from the national team.

    In China, Lippi joined Guangzhou Evergrande in 2012 and claimed three Chinese Super League titles and the AFC Champions League trophy to go with Chinese FA Cup and Chinese FA Super Cup success.

     

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.