Bologna boss Mihajlovic tests positive for coronavirus

By Sports Desk August 23, 2020

Sinisa Mihajlovic has tested positive for coronavirus, Bologna have confirmed.

In a statement, the Serie A club said their head coach was "absolutely asymptomatic" after the results of the swab test.

Mihajlovic will now begin two weeks in isolation, in line with national guidelines in Italy.

Bologna also tested their primavera team, with all of those coming back negative.

The first-team squad and coaching staff are due to be tested on Monday.

Mihajlovic was diagnosed with leukaemia last year and spent time away from the Bologna bench to undergo a bone marrow transplant.

He signed a contract extension until 2023 in June.

The 2020-21 Serie A season is due to begin on September 19.

Related items

  • Win over 'big rival' Chelsea would be huge for Man Utd, says Mata Win over 'big rival' Chelsea would be huge for Man Utd, says Mata

    Juan Mata feels a win over Chelsea would take on added importance for Manchester United as they continue to fight back from a difficult start to the season.

    Away victories against Newcastle United and Paris Saint-Germain have boosted Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's side as they look to put the 6-1 home humbling against Tottenham behind them.

    United host Frank Lampard's team on Saturday and are looking to win three consecutive top-flight meetings against Chelsea for the first time since September 1965 under Matt Busby.

    The Blues are winless in their last seven Premier League outings at Old Trafford, but Mata is aware of the threat posed by his former club, particularly after adding Timo Werner, Kai Havertz, Ben Chilwell, Hakim Ziyech and Thiago Silva in a busy transfer window.

    "Of course we are aware of their dangers, as we know they have signed many very good and important players," Mata told the Pitch to Post podcast.

    "Attacking-wise, defending-wise they have got a great squad. So we know what they are capable of and we need to be ready for that.

    "But also we need to think we are playing at home and if we play our football hopefully we'll have chances and create scoring opportunities to get the three points. 

    "And of course, they're a big rival for us because they're challenging for what we're challenging. A victory against them will be important, although we know it's difficult."

    Mata also praised his old team-mate Lampard, adding:  "You could feel from the first day that I arrived to Chelsea's dressing room that he was a very intelligent man.

    "He knew a lot about football and he understood the game really well as a player. You could imagine that he would be a very good manager, like he's showing now."

    Only once in their league history – in 1930 – have United lost each of their opening three home league games, but Mata is more confident after wins in the top flight and on the continent.

    "It was exactly what we needed after the defeat at home," he said about the Newcastle and PSG triumphs.

    "You want the next game to come quickly but unfortunately there was the international break, so we prepared really well, we trained hard over that week and then we got two very good performances.

    "So we're very happy with the week – but we want to keep this momentum going."

  • Ex-Man Utd players don't know what they're talking about – Solskjaer defends 'fantastic' Greenwood Ex-Man Utd players don't know what they're talking about – Solskjaer defends 'fantastic' Greenwood

    Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has denied reports that young forward Mason Greenwood has been overlooked for selection recently after repeatedly turning up late for training.

    Greenwood was not part of the squad for United's victories over Newcastle United and Paris Saint-Germain, owing to what Solskjaer put down to a "niggle".

    The 19-year-old was sent home from England duty last month for breaching coronavirus protocols and subsequently dropped by Gareth Southgate for this month's triple-header.

    Reports suggested Solskjaer had grown frustrated with the teenage academy product and warned the youngster about his punctuality.

    However, speaking ahead of Saturday's clash with Chelsea, the United boss dismissed those claims and took aim at the media.

    "I'm not concerned at all with Mason making a target for himself," Solskjaer said. "He came in, played fantastic, played in the league for the first time against Tottenham and was brilliant. 

    "He kicked on and he makes a mistake for England and suddenly the English press go after him. He's never ever late for training. I've seen some ex-United players talking about him and they don't know what they're talking about. 

    "He's got a good family behind him and he's a good trainer. I cannot believe all these stories about him not being professional. That's something we have to deal with many players, many other players at United have had that."

    Greenwood has made 37 Premier League appearances for United since his debut in March 2019, scoring 10 times, assisting one and laying on 10 chances for his team-mates.

    Solskjaer confirmed the youngster is back in contention to face Chelsea this weekend, while new signing Edinson Cavani is in line to make his debut and Harry Maguire is also fit again after missing the trip to PSG.

    "I hope and expect all three of them to be available," he said. "We've got a training session this morning which is the last chance of preparation. They've all got a chance.

    "Edinson needs to tick all the boxes that he's gone through in his programme to be ready and make an impact. I'll have a discussion with him, Mason and Harry today."

    United are playing at Old Trafford for the first time since losing 6-1 to Tottenham three weeks ago – their joint heaviest defeat in the Premier League.

    They have since beaten Newcastle and PSG in back-to-back away games, but Solskjaer admitted nothing will exorcise the demons from the humiliating loss to Spurs.

    "I don't think anything will erase that memory – it'll always be in the history books and we have always got to live with having that result," he said. 

    "You can look back at different reasons why we had that result but we have got to move forward.

    "It's happened so many times at this club that you have results out of the blue or setbacks, so far we have bounced back well.

    "It's very important for players that if you lose games you're determined to win, to bounce back, and I saw that focus at Newcastle and PSG.

    "It gives you more belief and confidence, two good performances and results but the next game is what we're focused on."

    United are unbeaten in their last seven league meetings with Chelsea and won this corresponding fixture 4-0 on the opening weekend of last season, but Solskjaer is anticipating a difficult game.

    "We know it’s gonna be tough against Chelsea – two teams that know each other really well," Solskjaer said.

    "Addressing our home form is key. The whole lockdown period has made us do things differently at home so we may need to find a different way to beat them."

  • Messi earned the right to leave Barcelona – Pique hits out at Bartomeu for poor handling of transfer saga Messi earned the right to leave Barcelona – Pique hits out at Bartomeu for poor handling of transfer saga

    Lionel Messi earned the right to leave Barcelona at the end of last season, according to Gerard Pique, who has hit out at president Josep Maria Bartomeu and defended signing a new contract in an explosive interview.

    Six-time Ballon d'Or winner Messi stunned the world in August when he told Barca of his intention to leave the club he has spent two decades with.

    He intended to trigger a clause in his contract to walk away on a free transfer, but the validity of such a stipulation was murky due to the coronavirus pandemic.

    The saga was brought to a temporary end on September 4 when the forward announced he will stay at Camp Nou for another year, rather than challenge Barca in a legal battle.

    But Pique feels the club handled the situation the wrong way, with Bartomeu allegedly backtracking on a promise to let Messi leave whenever he felt the time was right.

    "I didn't have much contact with him around that time because it was a very personal decision," he told La Vanguardia ahead of Barca's Clasico clash with Real Madrid on Saturday.

    "But I remember saying: 'Leo, it's one year, and then new people will come in'.

    "He had more than earned the right to make a decision and if he considered that he should go... I as president would have acted differently.

    "A player who for 16 years has given you so much. You are obliged to come to an agreement with him. It cannot be so obvious that the two parties are so far apart.

    "How can it be that the best player in history, who we have the luck to enjoy, gets up one day and send a burofax because he feel they are not listening to him?

    "Everything is too shocking. What is going on? Leo deserves everything. The new stadium should have his name and then that of the sponsor. 

    "We should preserve our figures, not discredit them. It makes me nervous."

    Pique also criticised Barca's "outrageous" decision to allegedly hire a social media company to damage the reputations of certain key figures, including himself and Messi.

    "As a Barca player, I see that my club as spent money to criticise us – not only people outside the club, but also those who are still playing. That is outrageous," he said, with the club having denied the claims.

    "I asked for an explanation and [Bartomeu] told me: 'Gerard, I didn't know'. I believed it, but then you see the person in charge of hiring those services is still at the club.

    "It hurts a lot. I say that because I personally told the president before. What else can I say? Is it painful? Yes. Can I do something else? Well, no.

    "My relationship with the president is cordial but there are certain things that remain."

    Pique this week penned a new four-year contract, which has reportedly caused a dressing-room split as a number of players – including the defender – are said to have signed a letter saying they will not negotiate with the current board.

    Asked about his decision to renew, and whether he considered departing Catalonia, Pique said: "If the coach didn't depend on me, I'd have had no problem [leaving].

    "The club told me and other players that due to the pandemic they will suffer a lot financially. In that situation, Barca is not above anyone. 

    "Barca have given me everything, so I put myself at their disposal. They tell me all the money I can give up this year will be collected in the future.

    "I think we are helping the club. The pay may be bigger in the future but for there to be a future we must act like this.

    "In a personal capacity, each player is free to accept the club's proposal voluntarily. 

    "Another thing is that they force you unilaterally and that they do it with the ways that they have done it. There, the truth is, I totally disagree."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.