Willian completes Arsenal move on three-year deal

By Sports Desk August 14, 2020

Arsenal have confirmed the signing of free agent Willian following his departure from Premier League rivals Chelsea.

The Brazilian winger, who turned 32 last Sunday, has signed a three-year deal with Mikel Arteta's side.

He announced his departure from Chelsea last week after seven years at Stamford Bridge following the expiration of his contract.

Willian missed the recent FA Cup final against Arsenal, with Blues head coach Frank Lampard citing an injury sustained in training ahead of the match as the cause of his absence.

Reports have indicated Chelsea were willing to offer Willian a two-year contract but that he was holding out for one more season, which Arsenal have offered.

The 2019-20 campaign was Willian's most productive at Stamford Bridge in terms of goal involvements in the Premier League.

Opta statistics show he totalled 16 involvements, consisting of nine goals, his best return for the club, and seven assists.

His overall Premier League record for Chelsea shows Willian scored 37 goals and had 33 assists in 234 appearances, starting 168 of those games.

Willian, handed the number 12 shirt, joins Arsenal at a pivotal point in the reign of Arteta, with the Spanish head coach looking to establish his own team at Emirates Stadium after taking over from Unai Emery last December.

A disappointing eighth-place finish in the Premier League was tempered by a 2-1 victory over Chelsea in the FA Cup final, which secured a place in next season's Europa League.

Willian last month secured a place in the record books when he became the first player to have scored a Premier League goal in every month of the year.

With the 2019-20 season extended into June and July due to the coronavirus pandemic, Willian achieved the improbable feat when he converted a first-half penalty against West Ham.

Related items

  • Modric eager to finish career at Real Madrid as he backs Zidane Modric eager to finish career at Real Madrid as he backs Zidane

    Luka Modric is eager to stay at Real Madrid beyond the expiry of his current contract and see out the rest of his career at Real Madrid despite seemingly losing his 'untouchable' status under Zinedine Zidane, whom he has defended from criticism.

    The 35-year-old Croatian will be able to discuss a free transfer away from the Santiago Bernabeu from January 1, with his deal set to run out in June.

    Modric recently dismissed the idea of returning to Tottenham – whom he left for Madrid in 2012 – at the end of the season, while the Spanish giants have reportedly delayed talks over a new deal until next year.

    The former Ballon d'Or winner remains an important player for Madrid, though he has perhaps lost a little regularity – last season he only started 22 LaLiga games, while he has been in the starting line-up just once in three Champions League matches this term.

    Modric accepts he cannot be completely sure about his future, though he seems in little doubt regarding his desire.

    When asked about the matches he has not started, Modric told reporters: "I feel good. These games you mention I didn't play in, it's the coach's decision. When I come on, I hope to help the team and do a good job."

    Regarding his future, he added: "I feel good, I feel strong, and I still have plenty of football in my legs and strengths to continue, but let's see what happens in the future.

    "A lot of people are talking and ask about my situation but let's see what happens. I'm calm. I just want to help the team like always.

    "I've said many times and I'll say it again, I'm very happy at Madrid and I'd love to end my career here, but let's see what happens.

    "Maybe you thought my answer was a bit cold because I've been asked many times and I've said the same answer many times. I feel good and I want to stay at Madrid for as long as I feel I can help the team.

    "Who wouldn't want to end their career at Real Madrid? But it depends on a lot of things. But there is no-one who'd be happier than me to continue at Real Madrid."

    Zidane's future – as it has been for much of his time back at the club – is also a little shrouded, with the Frenchman receiving criticism for Madrid's performances this season.

    Los Blancos are fourth in LaLiga after nine matches, six points behind leaders Real Sociedad with a game in hand, and are third in Champions League Group B.

    Nevertheless, Modric insists the coach has the team's backing ahead of Wednesday's trip to Inter, who are propping up the table.

    "It's not just recently we've defended the coach - we've always defended him since he came to Real Madrid," he said.

    "Every time they ask us about him, the criticism he receives, of course we're with him. We've never doubted him. We've won many things together and we hope this continues in the future.

    "It's normal we defend our coach; it's always been like that. We've won many things with him and I hope we continue to win things."

  • Hulk return to Porto would make Villas-Boas 'very proud' Hulk return to Porto would make Villas-Boas 'very proud'

    Andre Villas-Boas says he and other Porto fans would be "very proud" if Hulk returns to the club.

    The Brazilian forward has been tipped to return to Estadio do Dragao in 2021 after suggesting in a social media post that he will not be renewing his contract with Shanghai SIPG.

    Hulk won 11 trophies with Porto, including four league titles and the 2010-11 Europa League, before moving to Zenit in 2012 for a reported fee of €60million.

    He moved to the Chinese Super League four years later and has won the domestic league title and FA Super Cup.

    Hulk played under Villas-Boas at Porto, Zenit and Shanghai SIPG, and the current Marseille head coach admits it would be something to celebrate if the 34-year-old returned to Portugal.

    "I worked with him at three different clubs," he said. "I just want Hulk to choose freely.

    "If he chooses Porto and Porto want it, it will probably be the last club of his career, and it will be something that makes us, Porto fans, very proud."

    Villas-Boas' Marseille face Porto in the Champions League on Wednesday knowing a victory is required if they are to keep alive their chances of reaching the last 16.

    The Ligue 1 side are bottom of Group C after losing their opening three games to Manchester City, Olympiacos and Porto, while they are the only team in this season's competition yet to score a goal.

    They have managed just four shots on target in the 2020-21 group stage, the fewest of any team, while they have created only 12 chances, the lowest number alongside Shakhtar Donetsk.

    Porto won the previous match 3-0 at home, but head coach Sergio Conceicao remains wary of underestimating their opponents.

    "There are six competitive, very difficult games, and this one is no exception," he said.

    "We have to look not only at the path [to qualify] but at the quality of them and their coach.

    "I'm not lowering our expectations, which are to go there and win, but nothing is decided."

  • Goretzka ready to open contract talks with Bayern Munich Goretzka ready to open contract talks with Bayern Munich

    Leon Goretzka has yet to sit down with Bayern Munich for contract talks but would be ready to hold discussions with the club.

    The Germany midfielder has been a regular since joining Bayern from Schalke in 2018 and still has around 18 months to run on his existing deal.

    He featured 38 times in last season's treble-winning campaign and has been used on 10 occasions in all competitions already in 2020-21.

    No Bayern player has recovered the ball more often than Goretzka in the Bundesliga this term (10.47 per game) and only Javi Martinez has more interceptions (3.03 per game compared to 2.76).

    Bayern have struggled to tie down fellow key player David Alaba to a new deal, the messy saga being played out in public in recent weeks, while Thiago Alcantata recently left for Liverpool when he had just a year remaining on his contract.

    But Goretzka, who previously spent five seasons with fellow Bundesliga side Schalke, is open to talking over fresh terms.

    "So far there have been no discussions held with me," he said at a news conference ahead of Wednesday's Champions League clash with Salzburg.

    "I'm under contract for another year and a half so there is not a lot of pressure.

    "But if Brazzo [sporting director Hasan Salihamidzic] or Hansi [Flick] approach me in the next few weeks then I will not refuse to talk to them."

    Goretzka has also started all four of Germany's Nations League matches this year, playing an hour of last week's humbling 6-0 loss against Spain.

    It was Germany's heaviest defeat since they lost to Austria in a friendly in 1931 by the same scoreline and has led to questions being asked of long-serving boss Joachim Low.

    The German Football Association this week announced it would give Low time before assessing his future and Goretzka can understand the furore surrounding the defeat.

    "If you lose a game that high then it is normal in our business to be criticised," he said. "I didn't exactly wake up the next morning with a good feeling, either.

    "For me personally, it was about processing the loss, taking some time and then switching focus back to challenges at Bayern."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.