Rumour Has It: Barcelona players want Kluivert to replace Setien

By Sports Desk July 20, 2020

Barcelona players reportedly want Patrick Kluivert to take charge of the LaLiga giants.

Quique Setien is under growing pressure at the helm of Barcelona after giving up the league title to rivals Real Madrid.

Amid uncertainty over Setien, it seems Kluivert would be a popular appointment.

 

TOP STORY – BARCELONA PLAYERS WANT KLUIVERT AS COACH

Barcelona's dressing room want Kluivert as head coach, according to Mundo Deportivo.

The club's former striker returned to Barcelona last year, becoming the academy director.

The report says Kluivert is seen by players as Barcelona's answer to Real Madrid coach Zinedine Zidane, who starred at the Santiago Bernabeu during his playing career.

Kluivert, 44, has limited experience as a head coach, having previously been in charge of Jong FC Twente and Curacao.

ROUND-UP

- Manchester City could be busy during the next close season. Tuttosport reports City are targeting Juventus forward Douglas Costa, who has also been linked to Paris Saint-Germain. The report says City could pay around £36.5million (€40m) to £45.6m (€50m) for Costa.

- While Gianluigi Donnarumma is coming out of contract at Milan next year, the goalkeeper is expected to re-sign. However, CalcioMercato says the shot-stopper is in no rush to get a deal done.

- Victor Osimhen is close to sealing a move to Napoli. L'Equipe claims the Lille forward, who scored 18 goals in 2019-20, will sign a six-year deal with Napoli. The Serie A club will pay €81m for the 21-year-old.

- After two impressive seasons with Atalanta, Duvan Zapata is catching the eye. CalcioMercato says Juventus are interested in the Colombia international forward.

- Mario Gotze has plenty of interest. After leaving Borussia Dortmund, the 28-year-old is a target for Fiorentina, according to Corriere dello Sport. Meanwhile, Sport Bild reports Gotze is also on the wish list of Monaco, where Niko Kovac has been named coach.

- On loan at Sheffield United from Manchester United, Dean Henderson has impressed. The Daily Express reports Chelsea are yet to decide whether they will make a move for the goalkeeper, amid constant speculation over their own shot-stopper, Kepa Arrizabalaga.

- As he departs Liverpool, Adam Lallana looks set to stay in the Premier League. The Sun reports Leicester City, Everton, Burnley and Brighton and Hove Albion are all targeting the midfielder.

Related items

  • Barcelona beat Bayern Munich to signing of Dest from Ajax Barcelona beat Bayern Munich to signing of Dest from Ajax

    Barcelona have completed the signing of right-back Sergino Dest from Ajax for an initial €21million.

    The 19-year-old United States international has signed a five-year contract with a €400m buyout clause, while the deal could eventually cost Barca €26m.

    Barca faced stiff competition for the Ajax academy product, with Bayern Munich said to be also keen on his signature, but his signing for the Blaugrana appeared a formality after he was spotted arriving in Catalonia on Tuesday.

    Dest broke into the Ajax senior side just last season, playing 35 times across all competitions as he established himself as an alternative to Noussair Mazraoui.

    An attack-minded full-back, Dest was originally a winger when he first joined Ajax, but he has thrived following a positional switch.

    Technically gifted, quick and a fine dribbler, Dest's performances saw him catch the eye of several major clubs in his breakout season, but it is the well-travelled path from Ajax to Barca that he has decided to tread.

    Barca had been on the lookout for a new right-back following the exit of Nelson Semedo, who failed to convince coaching staff and fans alike during his three years at Camp Nou.

    Netherlands-born Dest has already been capped three times by the United States' senior side, whom he is eligible for through his father.

    Barca have not confirmed if Dest will be in contention to make his debut on Thursday at Celta Vigo, or if he will have to wait for the visit of Sevilla three days later.

     

  • BREAKING NEWS: Barcelona beat Bayern Munich to signing of Dest from Ajax BREAKING NEWS: Barcelona beat Bayern Munich to signing of Dest from Ajax

    Barcelona have completed the signing of right-back Sergino Dest from Ajax for an initial €21million.

     

  • Neymar boost for PSG but Tuchel says reinforcements needed to repeat Champions League run Neymar boost for PSG but Tuchel says reinforcements needed to repeat Champions League run

    Neymar has handed Paris Saint-Germain a fitness boost ahead of Friday's Ligue 1 contest with Angers but head coach Thomas Tuchel doubts his side can repeat their run to the Champions League final without strengthening the squad.

    Brazil star Neymar sustained a calf injury in the 2-0 beating of Reims, while Idrissa Gueye has been contending with an ankle complaint.

    But when asked to provide an update on both players, Tuchel delivered a positive message for the club's fans.

    "Two bits of good news - they [Neymar and Gueye] have been part of the last two training sessions with good intensity," Tuchel told a news conference. 

    "They are ready and fit, neither of them has any problems at the minute."

    The draw for the Champions League group stage takes place on Thursday with PSG aiming to do better than their run to the final last term, where the tournament was completed in Portugal from the quarter-final stages having been suspended due to the coronavirus pandemic.

    Tuchel noted the additions made by the likes of Liverpool, Manchester City, Atletico Madrid and Inter as a sign PSG need to reinforce a squad that has thus far added just Alessandro Florenzi but lost Edinson Cavani, Thiago Silva and Thomas Meunier.

    "It's sport, it is football, everything is possible. We know that in order to do the same things you need some luck in matches," he added. 

    "If we keep the squad we have today, honestly, we can't ask for the same results, because that is the situation. 

    "For example we look at Liverpool, they were not in Portugal at all and they have now signed Thiago [Alcantara] and another player from Wolves [Diogo Jota]. 

    "Man City have signed some defenders after losing in the quarter-finals. Atletico now have Luis Suarez, Inter Milan were not in Portugal but they now have two teams in their squad able to compete in the Champions League. 

    "The teams will have to battle against a big challenge. It will be more difficult than last year if we stay like this."

    Asked if reinforcements will be made during the remaining days of the transfer window, Tuchel said: "If we sign any other players that is something I'm not sure about at the moment, we have to wait and see but we will never stop giving the players confidence. 

    "We will never accept if we don't win and we always play to win that's the situation, that's the reality at the moment.

    "It is not impossible for us to sign new players and we will never stop pushing the players we are working with.

    "I think it is necessary to say that at the moment we don't have the same quality in the squad. We don't have the same players. That's the reality. 

    "It doesn't mean I want to lose games or not win, not at all. We are going to do everything possible to work hard and perform at the highest level. 

    "We won't accept excuses but we also have to face reality and that we have lost players as you mentioned. 

    "If we stay like this maybe we can't ask for the same targets with a reduced squad because as I said we have to cope with Liverpool, Man City, Atletico and Inter who have done well in the window. 

    "The club knows which profile we need in terms of new recruits. Now we have to wait."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.